Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Old Aug 17, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
Unfortunately you will not get 2x points.
Originally Posted by amrom
Would anyone know if buying points from SPG.COM with the spg amex would give you double points as it should? I just bought a large amount of points and it comes up on the card as "starwood by points point.com
so it doesnt look like its going through a Starwoods merchant, I believe I can wait till the statement closes, but am just curious.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by leonard016
Unfortunately you will not get 2x points.
Just trying to figure out why when buying directly from SPG should it go through points.com, doesnt work like that when buying any other program points/miles.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by amrom
Just trying to figure out why when buying directly from SPG should it go through points.com, doesnt work like that when buying any other program points/miles.
I'm pretty sure it works the same way for US. (In fact, there has been some very recent discussion of this apropos of the Barclays card 2x bonus for US purchases.)
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
I'm pretty sure it works the same way for US.
And AA.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:36 am

spg normally expire in 12 months, but if you have some sort of activity, does it extend it out for another 12 months? Activity includes redemption, use of amex card etc?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by hqly2001
spg normally expire in 12 months, but if you have some sort of activity, does it extend it out for another 12 months? Activity includes redemption, use of amex card etc?
Your question is not specific to the SPG Amex and the answer can easily be found through a search of this forum. Also, you can find the answer in the T&C of the SPG program:

3.2. You will be considered an "Active Member" so long as (a) your Membership has not been cancelled (by you or us), and (b) you have had an Eligible Stay at a Participating Property within the previous 12 months, or (c) you have earned Starpoints by using a Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card during the previous 12 months. Starpoints resulting from transfers or earnings from Program affiliates do not count toward active status. Owners are not subject to the Eligible Stay requirement and will continue to be considered an Active Member as long as they own their Vacation Ownership interest and maintain their Starwood Vacation Ownership account in good standing.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by controller1
Your question is not specific to the SPG Amex and the answer can easily be found through a search of this forum. Also, you can find the answer in the T&C of the SPG program:

3.2. You will be considered an "Active Member" so long as (a) your Membership has not been cancelled (by you or us), and (b) you have had an Eligible Stay at a Participating Property within the previous 12 months, or (c) you have earned Starpoints by using a Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card during the previous 12 months. Starpoints resulting from transfers or earnings from Program affiliates do not count toward active status. Owners are not subject to the Eligible Stay requirement and will continue to be considered an Active Member as long as they own their Vacation Ownership interest and maintain their Starwood Vacation Ownership account in good standing.
However, their 'actual' policy is 18 months not 12. Very generous, heh?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:03 pm
RNE

So I just got the SPG AMEX last week and AMEX was way cool getting it to me next-day and all. So, kudos AMEX. I'm not such a big fan of SPG anymore, which is a shame, but it's their fault. Despite that falling out, I'm sure I'll be able to put the 30,000 bonus points to good use. ^ Speaking of which, I have to spend $4500 in three months to get 20,000 of that bonus. I thought $4500 wouldn't be a big deal because I routinely put $5000/month on my Chase Continental Presidential Plus card. I'll simply divert most of that Chase spending to AMEX for a month or so and...voilŕ!

But nooo! So many merchants don't accept AMEX, I've been vexed at nearly every turn. I managed to spend $700 on jewelry for TSMRSRNE at Jared, and about that much with both Google and Net Sol, but that totaled like $1600 and it'll be September before I spend that much again. So despite an expected total spend of $15,000+ for August-October, I'll barely make my $4500 AMEX-spend goal within the 3-month time limit.

How do you SPG AMEX aficionados maximize use of that card?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by RNE
...How do you SPG AMEX aficionados maximize use of that card?
Gasoline, food, two cell bills, AA travel, SPG stays... All adds up pretty quick. No longer have to carry as much cash and pay off the bill every month. Took awhile to get use to using CC at fast food, but I did it!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Autopay whatever you can (gas, electric, cell, Internet, EZ-Pass). See if you can pay big recurring charges (car insurance) via CC.

There's an entire thread in MilesBuzz about how to generate CC spend in the post-Mint era.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RNE
But nooo! So many merchants don't accept AMEX, I've been vexed at nearly every turn.

So MANY??? You must be kidding. Every MAJOR merchant in America accepts Amex. The only merchant that I use who doesn't is my dentist. All my other doctors take Amex. I pay my rather large Verizon, Comcast, and Sprint bills using Amex. I buy all my groceries at Safeway and drug store purchases at CVS/pharmacy using Amex. I buy major purchases at Amazon.com (where you can buy almost anything) and Target using Amex. I eat at restaurants, where 98% of them take Amex,

Just where do you shop where you can't use Amex? Can you name any major retailer that won't take Amex?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DCBob
Just where do you shop where you can't use Amex? Can you name any major retailer that won't take Amex?
Not everyone restricts their shopping to major retailers.

I use Amex whenever I can just look at my MasterCard bill to see who doesn't accept it. This month, I see AAA, parking vendors, trash collector, and about 25% the restaurants I frequent. Pacific Gas & Electric used to accept Visa/MC, but not Amex (now they don't accept cards at all). In addition, I also avoid Amex for all foreign purchases because of the 2.7% rip-off fee.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

I use Amex whenever I can just look at my MasterCard bill to see who doesn't accept it. This month, I see AAA, parking vendors, trash collector, and about 25% the restaurants I frequent. Pacific Gas & Electric used to accept Visa/MC, but not Amex (now they don't accept cards at all). In addition, I also avoid Amex for all foreign purchases because of the 2.7% rip-off fee.
I do recognize the frustration with people not taking Amex. Oftentimes the larger purchases I make don't take Amex, usually smaller companies or those that don't take a lot of payments (professional licensing fees for example). Whenever I have the chance to use Amex I take it if I am working on multiple bonus offers. For example when the Citi Amex/Visa combo came out I definitely put everything I could on the Amex first because Visa is more widely taken.

However, if it is truly going to be an issue for getting the points on the Amex card, I say go ahead an do things that might not be optimal. Paying the 2.7% on a $500 purchase which would prevent the bonus from expiring is well worth it in my opinion. You can also try to get gift cards or something which again isn't optimal but well worth it to get 30k.

That said, it's somewhat unusual for only $4500/$15000 spend to be at places that take Amex. I'm not doubting it but I think your spend habits are atypical.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:53 am
RNE

Originally Posted by DCBob
Every MAJOR merchant in America accepts Amex. Just where do you shop where you can't use Amex? Can you name any major retailer that won't take Amex?
Originally Posted by mgchan
I do recognize the frustration with people not taking Amex. That said, it's somewhat unusual for only $4500/$15000 spend to be at places that take Amex. I'm not doubting it but I think your spend habits are atypical.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Exactly. Believe me, I am attempting to put every spend on the AMEX card. My favorite grocery store won't take it, lots of local restaurants won't, doctors/dentists and many local merchants won't. I do expect to reach $4500 in three months, but it won't be the walk in the park I expected.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My renewal comes up next month and I don't charge enough to the card to justify the $65 fee (I tend to chase sign-up bonuses, so I'm usually pulling out "random" cards to meet the minimum spends). Like most flyertalkers, I feel that I should be paid to use a credit card, not pay the credit card company to use it.

I called AMEX and the best retention bonus they offered me was a $10 statement credit or 1000 SPG points. I would think I could do better than that, no? I'd like to keep the card (in a world without sign-up bonuses, SPG would be my preferred credit card), but this bonus isn't enough for me to pay the $65.

BTW, a couple years ago, I faced the same problem and simply cancelled the card. A couple months later, I signed up for a new first-year-fee-waived card and got a hefty sign-up bonus (idiotic, of course, on AMEX's part). Would this strategy still work?

Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.