Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:39 am

Have they always charged a 2.7% on foreign transactions?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by italian7
Have they always charged a 2.7% on foreign transactions?
I have had this card for about 2 years and foreign transaction fee of 2.7% was always there. Cannot tell if it was there before that.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
I have had this card for about 2 years and foreign transaction fee of 2.7% was always there. Cannot tell if it was there before that.
Thanks!

Does anyone know if I can transfer SPG points from my fathers account to my FF flyer (same last name of course!).
Old Jul 24, 2011, 1:13 pm

Thanks!

Does anyone know if I can transfer SPG points from my fathers account to my FF flyer (same last name of course!).
Pretty sure you would have to have the same full name.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!

Actually, I think you can. They may have changed things, but during last year's US Airways Grand Slam promo, plenty of people were transferring 1 SPG point at a time to other people's US Airways account to qualify as a hit. I never heard of a problem.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K (plus a few others)
Have done a couple of searches now, but can't seem to find the answer though I'm sure it's here somewhere.

My wife just signed up for the SPG Amex card, with me as an additional cardholder. If she gets SPG gold status through spending ($30k per year I believe), will I get this as well? I tend to travel more than her so would be convenient...

Thanks in advance for the patience with SPG newbie.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by burmaflyer
Have done a couple of searches now, but can't seem to find the answer though I'm sure it's here somewhere.

My wife just signed up for the SPG Amex card, with me as an additional cardholder. If she gets SPG gold status through spending ($30k per year I believe), will I get this as well? I tend to travel more than her so would be convenient...

Thanks in advance for the patience with SPG newbie.
You need your own SPG Amex and qualify for Gold as an individual, they are not transferable.

BUT, family members can combine accrued points if they live in the same household, just not status.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Delays in posting of points

I have had the SPG Amex for some time now and the points post to my SPG account 1 or 2 days after my statement cycle.

However, it's now over a week since the last statement and nothing has posted yet. Have they slowed down the posting of the points, or should I contact someone at either Amex or SPG?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
I have had the SPG Amex for some time now and the points post to my SPG account 1 or 2 days after my statement cycle.

However, it's now over a week since the last statement and nothing has posted yet. Have they slowed down the posting of the points, or should I contact someone at either Amex or SPG?
IME there are occasionally months where this happens & points post 5-7 days late. You can always call Amex, but I wouldn't push the panic button just yet unless you need the points urgently.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
If you want to transfer points from one account to the other make sure you change the address so the two addresses match and therefore are the same household. You can always change it back or leave it that way if that is a regular plan. The last names don't have to match.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by dgordon
If you want to transfer points from one account to the other make sure you change the address so the two addresses match and therefore are the same household. You can always change it back or leave it that way if that is a regular plan. The last names don't have to match.
Note:
11.2 You may transfer Starpoints from one Starwood Preferred Guest Account to another Account under specific conditions. Both accounts must have been active and with the same address on each for at least 30 days. Except for SVO members, both members must have the same residential mailing address and cannot be a P.O. Box, APO or SPO address. SVO Owner members may transfer Starpoints to another SVO Owner member account, regardless of the address on each Account. Starwood reserves the right to refuse any transfers.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
That's a change but good to know. What does SVO stand for?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by dgordon
That's a change but good to know. What does SVO stand for?
It changed several months back in response to a rash of suspicious transfers.

SVO = Starwood Vacation Ownership. See the full T&C.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:08 pm

Would anyone know if buying points from SPG.COM with the spg amex would give you double points as it should? I just bought a large amount of points and it comes up on the card as "starwood by points point.com
so it doesnt look like its going through a Starwoods merchant, I believe I can wait till the statement closes, but am just curious.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by amrom
Would anyone know if buying points from SPG.COM with the spg amex would give you double points as it should? I just bought a large amount of points and it comes up on the card as "starwood by points point.com
so it doesnt look like its going through a Starwoods merchant, I believe I can wait till the statement closes, but am just curious.
The points.com purchase is treated as an ordinary merchant, so you don't get the extra points. At least I didn't last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.