Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.8MM AC; UA Silver; Hyatt Globalist; Honors Diamond; Bonvoy LT TTM
Does anyone know if there is a 5K referral bonus for the SPG BIZ Amex?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I cancelled my card after 5 years; the increased fee (over 2x since I got the card) put me over the top. I may consider getting the card again should I need the extra nights to top off a future elite status.

I suggested that the fee be waived, but the phone agent acted like I was asking him for his left nut. In the past, AMEX allowed you to transfer credit lines between cards, but evidently this is no longer possible.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
You should have also asked for SPG points as compensation. While they didn't waive the fee for me, they gave me 5,000 SPG points. Now I have the option of keeping the card or canceling, with 5,000 points in hand.

I'll probably keep the card since it's worth it to me, but for those looking to cancel, this is an option to consider.

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I cancelled my card after 5 years; the increased fee (over 2x since I got the card) put me over the top. I may consider getting the card again should I need the extra nights to top off a future elite status.

I suggested that the fee be waived, but the phone agent acted like I was asking him for his left nut. In the past, AMEX allowed you to transfer credit lines between cards, but evidently this is no longer possible.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by christinasc
The biggest complaint i saw was that the card limits were low. What is considered low? $1000? $5000? Has anyone had a problem extending their card limit? Has anyone had a very low limit?
I was started out with $4,600 limit on Business Card. I phoned and asked to have it increased. I was told no increases in credit limit in the first 4 months.

After the four months was up I requested an increase to $12,000 (which is what I have on my Citicard and what I needed to buy some air tickets). Got sent a request for two years tax returns and financial statements for Business. Not interested in having AMEX do a financial autopsy on me so lost interest.

The next month talking to an AMEX agent I learnt that I could double my limit to $9,200 instantly (I recieved an email confirming the increase a few minutes later). He also hinted that I could get another intstant approval to $13,800 limit in a few months.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by tpat
You should have also asked for SPG points as compensation. While they didn't waive the fee for me, they gave me 5,000 SPG points. Now I have the option of keeping the card or canceling, with 5,000 points in hand.

I'll probably keep the card since it's worth it to me, but for those looking to cancel, this is an option to consider.
The only option I was offered was a no fee card, which I already have (the free HHonors AMEX).
Old Jan 2, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by beachmiles
Has anything changed on this in the past few years? If $30K spend gets you Gold, does any spend amount get you Platinum Status?
No.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I called and complained about the fee increase. I was unlucky because my annual fee came due right after the fee increase went into effect on October 14th. The agent was very polite, but said they couldn't do anything to rollback the fee increase for me. They did give me 2K points though.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
The 2K worth more than the AF increase. Nice deal.
Originally Posted by volkswankin
I called and complained about the fee increase. I was unlucky because my annual fee came due right after the fee increase went into effect on October 14th. The agent was very polite, but said they couldn't do anything to rollback the fee increase for me. They did give me 2K points though.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 5:59 pm

50% off certificates

I have 3 50% off certificates that came with my SPG AMEX that I don't intend to use. One expires April 30, 2011 and the other two June 30, 2011. These are paper certs that need to be presented at check-in.

First 3 to PM me to ask for them will get it.

"This award is valid for 50% off regular rack rates for one to five consecutive nights at an participating Starwood hotel or resort worldwide, when you pay with your Starwood Preferred Guest credit card from American Express. Advance reservations are required."

Not valid in Hawaii, Bora Bora Nui Resort, Le Meridien Tahiti, Sheraton Tahiti, St Regis Bora Bora or the Sheraton Bahrain.

Last edited by dougouolo; Jan 15, 2011 at 6:07 pm
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by dougouolo
I have 3 50% off certificates that came with my SPG AMEX that I don't intend to use. One expires April 30, 2011 and the other two June 30, 2011. These are paper certs that need to be presented at check-in.

"This award is valid for 50% off regular rack rates for one to five consecutive nights at an participating Starwood hotel or resort worldwide, when you pay with your Starwood Preferred Guest credit card from American Express. Advance reservations are required."

Not valid in Hawaii, Bora Bora Nui Resort, Le Meridien Tahiti, Sheraton Tahiti, St Regis Bora Bora or the Sheraton Bahrain.
Thanks for the generosity. Not asking because I don't think I'd end up using them but appreciate the offer.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:59 am

50% off certs - all gone

The 50% off certs are all spoken for.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat

Did these 50% off certs came to you via snail mail or via email?

I have the SPG AMEX card too, but have not seen those 50% off certs, which I can actually put to use. Do I get them after a certain spend amount?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by sapguy

I have the SPG AMEX card too, but have not seen those 50% off certs, which I can actually put to use. Do I get them after a certain spend amount?
Have you ever called up to get a quote using one of these?
I did once for the Westin Market St San Fran....$400+ with the certificate, $229 on spg.com. Tried for the Planet Hollywood once with similar results. Good for periods of very high demand/low availability maybe. If you really could use one, I'll check my records and see if I have any unexpired ones.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by sapguy

They're paper certs that come via snail mail. Got them as part of getting approved for new SPG cards.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:56 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
They're paper certs that come via snail mail. Got them as part of getting approved for new SPG cards.
Got it thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.