Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2008, 5:52 pm

Programs: CO PLT,DL Plat (status match),BD Gold, Amex Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
Originally Posted by rrgg
Did you already try logging in at amex and asking by email? Sometimes it might be better to not ask on the phone, when the question requires some investigation. This also gives you proof of your inquiry.
I agree, I get more positive results by emailing them.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Points posted immediately

I signed up my husband for the SPG Amex last month. We spent about $200 before the billing cutoff and the 10,000 posted immediately. Haven't even received the bill yet.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by phatty
The 3 month mark for my first purchase is tomorrow, and I still don't see my 10k bonus points. I've called 4-5 times to confirm I'd be receiving them within this time frame, and I've been assured each time that I will. I don't see it happening.
So, when tomorrow comes and I still don't have the points... should I immediately call and blow up on them? What have other people that haven't gotten them in time done about it? It is a breach of contract, right? Legally, one could take action?
I should hit the 15k spend limit on the card in a couple of weeks, and I imagine the extra 15k points from that will take 3+ months as well? Frustrating....
My husband had the same problem. He called multiple times as well as sending emails, but they said it takes up to 12 weeks
for the points to post and that they had to wait until then to do anything. So exactly on the 12 week mark the points still hadn't posted, and after calling, they said the points would post in a couple of days, and they did.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by dgordon
Even though I don't like paying the fee I have to say no other program gives hotels for 3 or 4 thousand points.
Hilton has 10k awards which is equivalent to about 3k SPG pts.
Hyatt has 5k awards which is equivalent to about 4k SPG pts.
IC/PC has 5k Pointsbreak awards which is equivalent to about 2k SPG pts.
Choice has 6k awards which is equivalent to about 3k SPG pts.

Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by technique
snail mail? email? phone call?
snail mail.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, as a follow up to my "I don't want to pay the $45 renewal fee" question . . . .

It all worked out. I called back, said I didn't want to pay the fee, and asked to be transferred to the cancellation/retention desk.

This time, I got a very helpful and friendly agent who told me I didn't even owe the fee, and it shouldn't have been billed! Apparently, I have another AMEX card (I think it's a Membership Awards business card -- one of those "sign up and get lots of bonus miles and cancel in a year" deals) which entitles me to a fee waiver on another AMEX card.

And not only did she waive the $45 fee, but she gave me 3000 free SPG miles for my trouble! Sweet -- I wish life always worked that way.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:09 am
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Problems With Quicken?

I use Quicken 2006 (for Macintosh). Until a few weeks ago, I was able to download my SPG AmEx purchases into Quicken. Now I cannot.

For all my other accounts that I can download information into Quicken (credit union, other credit cards), there is no problem. I can still do so.

I can still access my SPG AmEx account on the website, so there's no problem with my password.

Have any of you had problems with your SPG AmEx account and any version of Quicken recently?
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by iahphx
Well, as a follow up to my "I don't want to pay the $45 renewal fee" question . . . .

It all worked out. I called back, said I didn't want to pay the fee, and asked to be transferred to the cancellation/retention desk.

This time, I got a very helpful and friendly agent who told me I didn't even owe the fee, and it shouldn't have been billed! Apparently, I have another AMEX card (I think it's a Membership Awards business card -- one of those "sign up and get lots of bonus miles and cancel in a year" deals) which entitles me to a fee waiver on another AMEX card.

And not only did she waive the $45 fee, but she gave me 3000 free SPG miles for my trouble! Sweet -- I wish life always worked that way.
I've never heard of that here or anywhere else. I know that for certain Delta cards you get a partial fee waiver if you have a Charge Card product, however I was not aware that this also applies to the SPG card. In fact, I think your agent may have been mistaken. Either way, glad to see you saved a few bucks on the fee and got some points to boot.
Old May 5, 2008, 10:08 pm

Hi guys. I've read a lot about the SPG points being devalued. Do you guys still think the SPG Amex is better than the Hhonors Amex? Unfortunately, I don't think I spend enough to reach the status upgrades (I spend around $10-15K a year?) Is SPG preferred status better than Hhonors Silver? I'm trying to decide whether getting a hotel rewards card or a regular cash back card will be better for me.
Old May 6, 2008, 4:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DivMiler
I use Quicken 2006 (for Macintosh). Until a few weeks ago, I was able to download my SPG AmEx purchases into Quicken. Now I cannot.
Have any of you had problems with your SPG AmEx account and any version of Quicken recently?
Yep, same problem here w/in the last month. The only format I was able to access was *.csv via spreadsheet app, but my goal was to do some data analysis outside of Quicken anyway...
Old May 6, 2008, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

id suggest the amex forum for the quicken issues.

personally, spg points are the only hotel points i care about. if im going to have a really expensive stay at another chain with points, sure ill sign up, but spg is by far the most flexible IHMO, regardless of how expensive its hotel awards get.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 6, 2008 at 10:26 am
Old May 6, 2008, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titan., Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Goosey
Hi guys. I've read a lot about the SPG points being devalued. Do you guys still think the SPG Amex is better than the Hhonors Amex? I'm trying to decide whether getting a hotel rewards card or a regular cash back card will be better for me.
I still believe that you cannot beat the Cash & Points option at Starwood, which means I prefer to rack up SPG points on my credit card. As with most of these programs though, it comes down to how you value points. Depending upon where I am traveling, I can usually get $.03-$.05 per SPG point.

To give one baseline example, at your spending level, you can take one 3 night C&P stay at a cat 5 per year. If the rate is $300 a night, the C&P option takes it to 4800 points per night plus $90. Therefore, 4800 points = $210 or each point at roughly $.043.

To think of it another way, is your year of using the credit card worth $630?
Old May 9, 2008, 1:16 pm

Help AMEX refuses 15K bonus?

I signed up for the AMEX SPG card and made $15k in purchases my first month. I was told my 15K points would post three months later. They haven't and now AMEX says i'm not eligable for the 15K point bonus only the initial 10K. They say they have no record that such an offer exists. How do I respond? They have asked me to produce the brochure advertising the 25K total point offer.
Old May 9, 2008, 1:29 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by scaplan
I signed up for the AMEX SPG card and made $15k in purchases my first month. I was told my 15K points would post three months later. They haven't and now AMEX says i'm not eligable for the 15K point bonus only the initial 10K. They say they have no record that such an offer exists. How do I respond? They have asked me to produce the brochure advertising the 25K total point offer.
If THIS LINK doesn't go to the offer, Google for "spg amex" and there's a Google ad for it from Amex, click that and there's the offer. Ask to talk to a supervisor.
Old May 13, 2008, 8:07 am

OPEN Business card

I've had the OPEN card since Nov, 2007. When I applied, they were running the bonus of 10K pts w/ 1st purchase plus another 15K bonus pts w/ $15K spend in 6 months.

It's been 3 billing cycles since the $15K level was reached. I called today to inquire where my points were. I was asked for a promotion code. I stated I had no code since I applied directly from AMEX website. I was told that promotion was not part of my account. The promotion on my card was a $50 statement credit after my first Starwood stay charged to card. That was over 6 months ago but I never even received the credit.

Customer service stated I would receive the $50 statement credit and they would give me 3K bonus pts for the error. I am really discouraged by this. How convenient for AMEX to state that an account is not eligible for a promotion.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to proceed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.