Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:11 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl
It was 3rd from the bottom on my Offers list! (Can't figure out how to post a screenshot.)

Highly unlikely that I'll spend $25K, but you never know.

Thank you!
Same here. If it were just a straight 3 pts per $ as you go for up to 100K pts, I probably would make an effort to divert some spend to the card. However, with a $25K minimum threshold for the bonus points, it's unlikely that I would even try, especially when I have a card that earns me slightly >2.5% cash back.

LAX
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by LAX
Same here. If it were just a straight 3 pts per $ as you go for up to 100K pts, I probably would make an effort to divert some spend to the card. However, with a $25K minimum threshold for the bonus points, it's unlikely that I would even try, especially when I have a card that earns me slightly >2.5% cash back.

LAX
In my case, I’m really only using the card on Marriott stays, and I’m positive I won’t be requalifying for Ambassador status next year, so $25K is not in sight!
LF72 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:06 am
LAX

Originally Posted by margarita girl

In my case, I’m really only using the card on Marriott stays, and I’m positive I won’t be requalifying for Ambassador status next year, so $25K is not in sight!
That's what I will be using mine on, too. Other than that, I have plenty of other cards with a higher return.

LAX
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by damon88

Did you get a confirmation email?
Originally Posted by SeeTheLights

i signed up but did not get confirmation email. I screenshot it on my Mac though but doesn’t say anything specific to me for confirmation.
Same here, no confirmation email but took a screenshot of the you're registered page. I think I posted it a page back.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:58 am

New card delivery

An email received today says
Card Members will automatically receive the new Card design starting in June 2019 and over the following months.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:13 am

Exclamation

I got an email today that my SPG Business Card will be converted to the new Bonvoy and a card sent in the next 3 months.

BUT they are RAISING the fee to$125!!

Are you friggin' kidding me?! It's hard enough for most of us to keep this new Bonvoy card and now they see fit to raise the Yearly Fee? Here's the quote:
"After your next renewal date on or after March 28, 2019, your Card’s annual fee will increase to $125. We will send you a separate notice with additional information about this change to your annual membership fee, including when this fee change will affect you.ą"
After nearly a decade with SPG, I think it's time for me to cut ties.

What the pulse of the situation for you guys?....

Is there a Card option (or other vehicle) to feed into the SPG/Bonvoy Account to keep one's points from expiring?.....

Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Wolverine
....raise the Yearly Fee?
When will your next annual fee be billed?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by williamsmj
I'd like to downgrade my SPG (now Amex Bonvoy) to a no annual fee card. Am I right in thinking there is no Amex Bonvoy product without an annual fee?

Can I in that case downgrade to e.g. the Amex Blue Cash? Am I right in thinking that's the card I'll least regret downgrading to (i.e. the one least likely to have an interesting signup bonus that I won't be eligible for because I downgraded to it).
AFAIK, there is no no-fee SPG card and they don't you change partner branded cards into Amex branded cards (i.e. the Blue Cash). If anyone has successfully completed a change like this, I'd love to hear more about it.
LF72 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by mia
When will your next annual fee be billed?
Mine is Sept. So I have time until then to examine my options.

After March 28,2019, everybody will get hit with the new $125 fee.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:16 am

Yeah when my SPG Business AF hits in June I'll likely be cancelling. The 35k certificate was *barely* enough for me to keep the card with current AF. With the higher fee totally not worth it to me now. Honestly I am wishing I cancelled my SPG business last year now. The fee came up in late June right before I would qualify for the free night cert so I got nothing, called in for a retention offer and got nothing and then basically sock drawed after several years of high spend when the new earning structure hit. The only reason I kept it was for the annual certificate which isn't worth $125 to me.
LF72 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:17 pm
mia

After March 28,2019, everybody will get hit with the new $125 fee.
I read it differently:

After your next renewal date on or after March 28, 2019, your Card’s annual fee will increase to $125.
I think this means your next renewal will be billed at $95, and the one in September 2020 will be at the higher cost.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by LAX
Well it depends on your alternative ROI and your personal need for more Marriott points.

For us this is a good offer as we never have enough Marriott points and will need even more thanks to this year's major devaluation (esp. for former SPG Cat 5-7 properties). We have enjoyed many peak season family vacations at SPG and JW resorts here and abroad. So how do we get more points?

Until August we spent $30k+ per year on SPG Amex. After August our spend dropped to almost nil. I am sure this was the case on many accounts and hence the bonus offer.

So what is the alternative for $25k spend? We could earn 25k Chase points which I value at 2+ cents when used for business class TATL or TPAC (the same points would net only 25k Marriott points). We could earn 2% cash back = $500. Personally I concur with blogger valuation of .006-.007 for Marriott points, which brings a value of $450-525 for 75k points. By this calculation we would be better off with cash back after considering the AF? Perhaps (assuming AF is not already a sunk cost) .

But when combined with points I earn from business travel, we may be able to find a 5 night deal that brings a value of .01 per point or more. I'm willing to take that gamble but certainly not worth it for those who earn a million MR points annually. As of March, 75k points won't even buy 1 night at the top St. Regis properties so maybe better off with cash to buy lodging unless you have other ways to earn.
margarita girl likes this.

Last edited by Boraxo; Feb 26, 2019 at 12:09 am Reason: corrected valuation
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:50 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Boraxo
....dropped to almost nil. I am sure this was the case on many accounts and hence the bonus offer.....
No doubt this is a factor, but I think the larger consideration is that this is a discontinued card, and American Express is trying to make it expensive for Chase to poach their personal cardholders.

concur with blogger valuation of .06-.07 for Marriott points,....
I think you dropped a zero and mean $0.006 to $0.007.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I got an email today that my SPG Business Card will be converted to the new Bonvoy and a card sent in the next 3 months.

BUT they are RAISING the fee to$125!!
I cancelled my not so Brilliant biz card for precisely that reason; I will keep the Brilliant with its various features that are more than enough (especially now that the nights from the two cards do not sum up).
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:28 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by mia
I read it differently:

I think this means your next renewal will be billed at $95, and the one in September 2020 will be at the higher cost.
This is what I am hoping for, renewal in 2019 for $95. After that, unless AE throws me some bonus points or statement credit to make up the difference, I will be cancelling mine at the subsequent renewal.

LAX
LF72 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.