Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
5 or 7 nights elite credit

Trying to confirm whether the elite credit from Amex for 2018 was 5 or 7 nights. I understand it was supposed to be 5 nights and 2 stays, but it looks like my account received 7 nights credit. I'm close to 50 nights this year and I'd like to make sure this is not a mistake and Marriott comes back next year saying I'm two nights short of Platinum if I hit exactly 50 nights for 2018 (incl. the 7 from Amex).
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Hmmm.

When I sign into my old SPG account (with its new number, on the Marriott site) there is a rectangular blue button on my profile page that says "Merge Accounts" or something like that. Have you check all through the different pages of your profile?
On my SPG profile page, my old SPG number is shown underneath my new SPG number. Below that is an option to "Combine my SPG and Rewards Accounts". I don't want to combine them yet. There is no option for me to just transfer some points from the new SPG account to the Marriott account. That option was available at one time.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Is anyone still using this card at all for regular spend? (not bonuses or for hotel stays)

It always used to be my go-to card of choice but am having a hard time justifying using it now given the offerings are 33% less.
Prior to the merger, I had a business and personal SPG Amex, and a business and personal Chase Marriott Visa.

Now I'm down to a personal Chase Marriott Visa (the old style, which still earns elite qualifying nights).

Business spend is now on the Chase Business Preferred Ink and personal spend is split between the old-style Chase Marriott Visa and the Chase Sapphire Reserve. With a Costco Citibank Visa for Costco and gasoline.

Simplification is a good thing.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Has anyone got the free night award certificate?

I paid my annual fee last month, but didn't receive a certificate. I know, I know, it says 8-12 weeks, but for the Chase Marriott Business Card, I got the certificate the day after my statement closed with the fee.

I've been able to redeem the first certificate for ~300 dollar/night stay at the Marriott in London and have another night using 35k points, but would much prefer to use this certificate and get some decent value out of this sock drawer card
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: *wood Plat, FB Plat
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Got it both for Personal and Business cards but I did renew them earlier this year.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by uppereastsider

I paid my annual fee last month, but didn't receive a certificate. I know, I know, it says 8-12 weeks, but for the Chase Marriott Business Card, I got the certificate the day after my statement closed with the fee.

I've been able to redeem the first certificate for ~300 dollar/night stay at the Marriott in London and have another night using 35k points, but would much prefer to use this certificate and get some decent value out of this sock drawer card
Scroll back a few pages. Amex is not posting the same as Chase. They post on the 2nd of the month, two billing cycles after your annual fee. You should see the free night on Jan 2nd or Feb 2nd. (Maybe they are doing this to discourage people from canceling the card after they've received their free night.)

Confirmed again on Dec 2nd in post # 62 here.

Last edited by margarita girl; Dec 7, 2018 at 3:23 pm Reason: Added link.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Scroll back a few pages. Amex is not posting the same as Chase. They post on the 2nd of the month, two billing cycles after your annual fee. You should see the free night on Jan 2nd or Feb 2nd. (Maybe they are doing this to discourage people from canceling the card after they've received their free night.)

Confirmed again on Dec 2nd in post # 62 here.
Thank you! Missed that before, look forward to switching my reservation on Jan 2nd or Feb 2nd
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:33 pm
Fiz

Has anyone cancelled or changed a reservation having previously applied their annual Amex SPG night certificate? Was afraid I was playing with fire... The website view of my changed reservation (dates) at the same hotel sort of suggests it may no longer be applied, and is missing from my account.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
New certificate deposited in SPG account- what is it?!

On Dec 2 a certificate was added to my account that says Amex consumer FNA up to 35k

what ia this ans any idea why it was deposited?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by stephem
On Dec 2 a certificate was added to my account that says “Amex consumer FNA up to 35k”

what ia this ans any idea why it was deposited?
Free Night Award

Everyone who posts on this thread asks “when do I get my free night cert?” I think you’re the first one to ask “why did I get a free night?”
Zorak likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I upgraded to the Luxury card at the end of September, and my account anniversary is Oct 18th. On Dec 7th I got my free night cert, but it's for up to 35k, not up to 50k. Is that right? They haven't done the annual fee adjustment yet, so maybe it'll switch when they do?

It's kind of a bummer, since I have a reasonable amount of 1 night stays in SF, and the 50k really opens up the options, there are only a handful of 35k SF hotels

Edited to add: The $300 credit also appears not to have renewed at my anniversary. I was able to use the $300 credit at the beginning of October, and the credit was issued no problem, but I've had multiple stays since my anniversary and no credit since then.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by zymm
I upgraded to the Luxury card at the end of September, and my account anniversary is Oct 18th. On Dec 7th I got my free night cert, but it's for up to 35k, not up to 50k. Is that right? They haven't done the annual fee adjustment yet, so maybe it'll switch when they do?

It's kind of a bummer, since I have a reasonable amount of 1 night stays in SF, and the 50k really opens up the options, there are only a handful of 35k SF hotels

Edited to add: The $300 credit also appears not to have renewed at my anniversary. I was able to use the $300 credit at the beginning of October, and the credit was issued no problem, but I've had multiple stays since my anniversary and no credit since then.
Seems there is something wrong. I upgraded in August with a October anniversary date and I received a 50K certificate and another $300 spend.
zymm likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:53 pm

How long does it take for the free cert for the SPG Business card to post? It's been 3 weeks since I paid the AF and NOTHING. Really pissed off.... I need the cert to come in time, because I'm cancelling my SPG card and I want to get the cert before the window where we dont get AF refunds.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:04 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The Free Night Award will be automatically deposited into your loyalty member account within 8-12 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date in the form of an e-certificate.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...wd#offer-terms
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
How long does it take for the free cert for the SPG Business card to post? It's been 3 weeks since I paid the AF and NOTHING. Really pissed off.... I need the cert to come in time, because I'm cancelling my SPG card and I want to get the cert before the window where we dont get AF refunds.
So you're pissed off because you want to rip off Amex and they're smart enough to put protection against it?
Neal, Dr. HFH, darthbimmer and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.