Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
That is lame. Far less lame is the $50x2 offer for $1,500x2 spend, same dates, that my wife got on her (personal) card. The nice thing is that the spending can get done easily before her July renewal date, not to mention the August devaluation. Basically, it's a retention offer without the $95 going over from our side. Can always fish for a real retention offer in July, then cut bait if that does not materialize and/or the hotel night just isn't sufficient recompense.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
Got a targeted (and sort of lame, compared to retention offers) bonus emailed to me this week. Up to $250 credit for dropping $20k on Amex by 8/15.

Terms are as follows:
If those would be purchases that you would normally make, then the return is quite good. For normal purchases, $20,000 will yield 20,000 Starpoints valued at $540 plus the $250 credit yielding a return of 3.95%. Taking it to the extreme, $20,000 of Starwood/Marriott charges would yield 40,000 Starpoints valued at $1,080 plus the $250 credit would yield a return of 6.65% from Amex (and this doesn't take into account the Starpoints earned from Starwood for those stays).
Old May 3, 2018, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by controller1
If those would be purchases that you would normally make, then the return is quite good. For normal purchases, $20,000 will yield 20,000 Starpoints valued at $540 plus the $250 credit yielding a return of 3.95%. Taking it to the extreme, $20,000 of Starwood/Marriott charges would yield 40,000 Starpoints valued at $1,080 plus the $250 credit would yield a return of 6.65% from Amex (and this doesn't take into account the Starpoints earned from Starwood for those stays).
You forgot to subtract the $95 fee, since it's basically a proactive retention from Amex.

I got the same offer and it sucks. Last year it was 15k points on $15k spent. That is worth a lot more than $250. Considering they have gutted the card, I expected a better offer not worse. So long old friend, SPG Amex.
Old May 3, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by controller1
I doubt I would run up $20k in personal spend by August. That said, I could pre-pay property tax on some of my property in LA County. LA County assessor charges a 2.3% fee IIRC which normally is on the edge of what SPG points are worth. So then the calculation gets more complicated when I compare interest earned in bank on said payments for 4 months (normally due 12/1) vs $250 credit.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:57 pm

According to the terms for the new SPG cards, the existing SPG Amex will be getting a free night (up to 35,000 points) each year on anniversary renewal. My card renews on August 16th. Since these features go into effect Aug 1st, does this mean that this year on Aug 16th I will earn the free night?
Old May 4, 2018, 10:53 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by msjrapps
According to the terms for the new SPG cards, the existing SPG Amex will be getting a free night (up to 35,000 points) each year on anniversary renewal. My card renews on August 16th. Since these features go into effect Aug 1st, does this mean that this year on Aug 16th I will earn the free night?
Per the mega-thread in the SPG forum, "Members will be eligible to receive the Free Night Award beginning after their first renewal on or after August 1, 2018. " So yes.

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August
1readyset2go likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:40 pm

Umm so my business bonus posted on my amex page under points earned YTD....but I haven't spent $7,000 yet. I'm at $6200 or so. This ever happen to anyone? I am so confused.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
Was any of the spend at hotels where you would have gotten bonus points?
Old May 8, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
You could open a free Hilton Amex (probably some bonus out there) and transfer your available credit over (except for $500) and then you don't lose your available credit.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by dgordon
Was any of the spend at hotels where you would have gotten bonus points?
Only thing was an SPG buy points bonus promotion, but that was only 5,000 points.

I’m still gonna spend 7K but at least I may have the points before the programs completely merge.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by dgordon
You could open a free Hilton Amex (probably some bonus out there) and transfer your available credit over (except for $500) and then you don't lose your available credit.
Current bonus on the free card is 50,000 points, although I am pretty sure I saw 60,000 somewhere recently.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Does anyone think they'll be any sign up offers for the SPG AMEX before August 1st?
Old May 10, 2018, 8:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Does anyone think they'll be any sign up offers for the SPG AMEX before August 1st?
There is an offer now for $200 statement credits. I doubt there will be an offer for Starpoints because the bonus might be awarded after Starpoints cease to exist.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:44 pm

If I apply and get the current SPG personal card to get the welcome bonus, will I be able to close and get another welcome bonus after Aug 1, 2018? Or that new card will still be considered as one and the same under the once-per-lifetime welcome bonus rule?
Old May 20, 2018, 3:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pinkblanket
If I apply and get the current SPG personal card to get the welcome bonus, will I be able to close and get another welcome bonus after Aug 1, 2018? Or that new card will still be considered as one and the same under the once-per-lifetime welcome bonus rule?
Well, the new card will be a premium card with a larger annual fee. It's been stated that Amex will be offering "incentives" (perhaps points?) to upgrade from the current card to the new premium card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.