Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, Delta Skymiles
Couple questions, sorry if a repost. I've been an SPG Amex carholder for 12 years in total. I don't travel on business much, but I used to like the Gold benefits I got through the 30k annual CC spending, which I achieve every year. As of recently, the devaluation of points made the card less appealing, but I still kept it with the intent of eventually reaching LT gold (was a little over halfway there).

Now with these changes my questions are:

1) Will my existing nights count for LT status with the combined plan?
2) Will the 15 elite nights the new plan will give to cardholders continue to count for LT status?

At any rate, for people in the same situation as me the card lost a lot of appeal. While we do get more elite nights counting for LT status, the thresholds are much higher - 400 nights for Gold versus 250 nights before. Also the gold benefits are also quickly fading away, as of recently I was never getting any relevant upgrade (if I got something was just a room in a higher floor). So still contemplating whether to just cancel my card... thoughts on this?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:29 pm

Any data points on what American Express has offered to those asking to close their business accounts?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mstrbldr
Any data points on what American Express has offered to those asking to close their business accounts?
Is this what you're looking for?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...-card-101.html
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Does buying points earn 2 points/$?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Does buying points earn 2 points/$?
Yes
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:30 pm

I don't see this in the wiki and don't know what search terms would find it in a thread of this size so: Does the 25K opening bonus post with the statement that takes one over the spending target?

Background: I got this card just in time to get these terms. I could reach $3000 in the 2nd-month statement ending mid-May, but I'm thinking I'd rather stop at around $2500 and let the last $500 post with auto-pay bills in the following statement. I'm also working with a spending target on another card. I'm looking to do the needed points transfer for a night at the PHL Airport Marriott in September. In the various discussions I think I've seen that new point prices for individual properties will be posted in June, and is it sure that they won't take effect until August? I'm worried about losing out if I wait for the June statement, either because a new points price will be in effect, or there's a 6-8-week wait that would take me into August.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by rove312
I don't see this in the wiki and don't know what search terms would find it in a thread of this size so: Does the 25K opening bonus post with the statement that takes one over the spending target?

Background: I got this card just in time to get these terms. I could reach $3000 in the 2nd-month statement ending mid-May, but I'm thinking I'd rather stop at around $2500 and let the last $500 post with auto-pay bills in the following statement. I'm also working with a spending target on another card. I'm looking to do the needed points transfer for a night at the PHL Airport Marriott in September. In the various discussions I think I've seen that new point prices for individual properties will be posted in June, and is it sure that they won't take effect until August? I'm worried about losing out if I wait for the June statement, either because a new points price will be in effect, or there's a 6-8-week wait that would take me into August.
Not sure if this is YMMV, but our bonuses have always posted within a couple of days of hitting the bonus spend number...not even waiting for the statement to cut. This includes the 4 SPG's that we've had.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:17 am

Business Card

First year, annual fee posted this month. No offer, card closed. Minimal spend beyond what was needed to get the bonus. With the loss of the SPG Club Access come August, but no free night until my next renewal keeping the card made no sense.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:07 pm

Is the free night good for anything without limitations? My annual fee just posted, and it seems I will get no free night because I'm too early and I will also receive the worse earning rate. I'm not certain it's worth keeping the card.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:01 pm

I found on the website it says 35,000 points or less. The letter in the mail was a little more vague.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by johndoe123
Is the free night good for anything without limitations? My annual fee just posted, and it seems I will get no free night because I'm too early and I will also receive the worse earning rate. I'm not certain it's worth keeping the card.
we will not know for sure untill the new award chart is published on august 1st. And if they dont devaluate on Jan 1st before the anniversary reward.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dguruswamy
First year, annual fee posted this month. No offer, card closed. Minimal spend beyond what was needed to get the bonus. With the loss of the SPG Club Access come August, but no free night until my next renewal keeping the card made no sense.
Same. Called yesterday, no offer, closed it.

Still debating whether to close my Biz card as well since it is up for renewal as well.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dguruswamy
Not sure about that. Since this was a Business Card, the bonuses beginning August 1 on restaurants and gas stations may have been enough for me to keep the card.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:01 pm

[Delete]

Last edited by mcs26891; May 2, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Old May 3, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Got a targeted (and sort of lame, compared to retention offers) bonus emailed to me this week. Up to $250 credit for dropping $20k on Amex by 8/15.

Terms are as follows:
We have an exclusive offer for you. Earn twice and receive up to a $250 statement credit.

HERE’S HOW:
1.Register your Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express by May 31, 2018.
2.Make $10,000 in eligible purchases using your Card by August 10, 2018.
3.Earn your $125 statement credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.