Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:14 pm

Right...but how can I reach a non-"simple" rep?

There's no fraud here. It's just a merchant return that came through after the statement cut date. I'm also not trying to keep any extra points....or do any funky business here. I just know I earned ~25k point last month and this month it appears they are removing ~50k. No points have actually been taken from my SPG account yet. If so, that would be helpful to see for sure that the correct amount was reconciled.

Last edited by myfrogger; Sep 21, 2017 at 7:19 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by myfrogger
...after the statement cut date.
A credit that posted during the current billing cycle should have no immediate affect on your points balance at Starwood. Where, specifically, are you seeing these negative balances?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by mia
A credit that posted during the current billing cycle should have no immediate affect on your points balance at Starwood. Where, specifically, are you seeing these negative balances?
On my Amex statement.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Confused. If the credit posted after the statement date how could it be reflected on your statement which was generated before the credit?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Confused. If the credit posted after the statement date how could it be reflected on your statement which was generated before the credit?
A credit, aka merchant return, posted to my Sept 2017 statement. I can see the points given to me in August 2017 and then double the points taken in Sept 2017. All according to Amex statements....

However, no points were taken from my SPG account as a result of the negative balance on the Sept 2017 statement. From my reading, I see people usually carry a debit point balance with Amex until they make up the deficient. Then points will continue to post from AMEX spending to SPG account.

Last edited by myfrogger; Sep 21, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by myfrogger
I called Amex, they transferred me to SPG, then transferred me back to Amex. The SPG agent was great both both Amex agents couldn't even understand the problem. The last one just said that the points will be posted to my account within a few days...haha. I said I had a negative balance and she just repeated that that the points would be transferred.
I just had one of the worst customer experiences issues with SPG Amex that I have encountered in years. I spent over 45 minutes on the phone and was transferred to 6 different representatives but never got a resolution to my issue. I had a Marriott hotel that I paid for with my SPG Amex but I did not earn the bonus points on the SPG Amex card. I called Amex and was initially told the bonus points would credit on my next statement. I asked if this was a new policy, as in my years with SPG Amex, I have never had the initial points for a hotel stay post on one statement and the bonus points post on the next statement. I was then transferred to another Amex representative who said that I should have received the points and it was a problem on Starwood's side. I was transferred to someone at Starwood who said because it was a Marriott hotel, the problem was on Marriott's side. I was then transferred to 3 different people at Marriott who told me that this was Starwood's problem and the Starwood agent should have helped me instead.

After 45 minutes and 6 transfers, I ended the call and wrote a letter to SPG customer care. They awarded me 500 bonus points for the inconvenience but pointed out that the error was Amex's and they should have fixed it.

I have had terrible customer service with both my SPG and business Amex card over the last year -- every time I call, I am transferred multiple times, the agents don't seem to understand my problem or the benefits of the card, and they do not seem empowered to fix the issues.

I am waiting to see what Starwood / Marriott announces about how the combined program will work and especially about how Lifetime Plats will be treated. If the new program is a significant devaluation I am going to cancel SPG Amex and move to Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I'm trying to decide if I want to keep this business card. I have had it for a few years, but I'm not sure its worth the AF since I don't really put non-cat spend on the card anymore.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
I just had one of the worst customer experiences issues with SPG Amex that I have encountered in years. I spent over 45 minutes on the phone and was transferred to 6 different representatives but never got a resolution to my issue. I had a Marriott hotel that I paid for with my SPG Amex but I did not earn the bonus points on the SPG Amex card. I called Amex and was initially told the bonus points would credit on my next statement. I asked if this was a new policy, as in my years with SPG Amex, I have never had the initial points for a hotel stay post on one statement and the bonus points post on the next statement. I was then transferred to another Amex representative who said that I should have received the points and it was a problem on Starwood's side. I was transferred to someone at Starwood who said because it was a Marriott hotel, the problem was on Marriott's side. I was then transferred to 3 different people at Marriott who told me that this was Starwood's problem and the Starwood agent should have helped me instead.

After 45 minutes and 6 transfers, I ended the call and wrote a letter to SPG customer care. They awarded me 500 bonus points for the inconvenience but pointed out that the error was Amex's and they should have fixed it.

I have had terrible customer service with both my SPG and business Amex card over the last year -- every time I call, I am transferred multiple times, the agents don't seem to understand my problem or the benefits of the card, and they do not seem empowered to fix the issues.

I am waiting to see what Starwood / Marriott announces about how the combined program will work and especially about how Lifetime Plats will be treated. If the new program is a significant devaluation I am going to cancel SPG Amex and move to Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Wow, that was basically my experience although a different problem. I spent 25min before I gave up. Were the agents at AMEX non-USA based? I couldn't place the accent---they spoke supurb english for a non-US call center but I just got nowhere in terms of solving a problem. I can't believe in this day you had to write a snail mail letter.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306

I've had this happen too. But never dealt with poor CS like this. They simply checked into it - discovered the hotel was not properly "flagged" in their system and awarded the bonus points in my next statement. Hang up and call back next time and if you are asked to transfer, ask for a supervisor.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Are there maximum amounts of points you can receive in one month with this card?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by 100% Green
Are there maximum amounts of points you can receive in one month with this card?
Short answer: No
Longer answer: Up to your credit limit and if you're paying off several times during the month, up to the internal amount that Amex decides through a financial review is appropriate for your income.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks again for pointing out this promo. I never received notification from Amex over it and followed your link. I just got my 15,000 bonus points for spending $15,000 usd. It took 2 weeks or so to see points post, much less than the 10-12 weeks the agent told me. I never new how much I had spent toward the threshold as no one was able to tell me when I registered and had spending count towards threshold. One person told me August 15 is when it counted even though I think I registered earlier.

Anyway excellent bonis as i as I was thinking about cancelling as I never get much of a retention bonus.

It seems people w 1000-20000 a year in spending gets the bigger annual retention as a way to encourage them to spend more.

Anyway thanks for pointig oit as you helped me earn additional points!

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
So I just received an offer after logging into the website for my SPG card:

"Special Limited Time Offer: Enroll your SPG® Card until 8/15/2017 and earn 15,000 bonus Starpoints® after you make $15,000 in qualifying purchases through 9/30/2017. Terms Apply."

2 1/2 months is a short time to spend so much, but I'll try!

got

Link to see if you're eligible: https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...arwoodcga80002

Offer Terms and Conditions
Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card Limited Time Offer
Register and earn 15,000 bonus Starpoints® after you spend $15,000 in qualifying purchases on your Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express (“Purchase Requirement”) starting from the time you complete registration through September 30, 2017 (“Purchase Period”). Registration period ends on August 15, 2017. Purchases may fall outside of the Purchase Period (and therefore not qualify for the bonus points) in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. (For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped.) Qualifying purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card Account. Qualifying purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of traveler's checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of any cash equivalents. Additional Card Members on your account are not eligible for this offer.
To receive the bonus points, your Card Account must be active, in good standing, and not in default at the time of fulfillment. American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time. The bonus points you earn during the Purchase Period as part of this offer are in addition to any other points you may get from using your Card. Bonus points will be credited to your account 10-12 weeks after you reach the Purchase Requirement. For questions regarding your Card Account, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:27 pm

When you say 2 weeks, was it 2 weeks after your statement date? I spent the $15k and an waiting for the bonus. I didn't except to hear it might post so fast.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I got the bonus before my statement closed. My statement ends today Or tomorrow I think and I got the bonus yesterday. I was surprised it posted so fast... I had to talk to Amex.l many times regarding the promo because they never seemed to know when the spending started to count towarfs threshold and I transferred spending from other cards to this one and wanted to know when I could go back to my other cards.

It was once they said i passed threshold that I went back to other cards.

Anyway all the agents told me to expect 10-12 weeks so I was surprised when I got it so soon. I guess I got lucky
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I got the bonus before my statement closed. My statement ends today Or tomorrow I think and I got the bonus yesterday. I was surprised it posted so fast...
As luck would have it, mine just posted today. It's great to not have a 10-12 week wait!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.