Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mia
I would read the terms of the offer:

This means you can reapply 12 months after you cancel the identical card.
That is somewhat annoying. I don't want to cancel the card and with this policy I feel like they are encouraging people to cancel it as soon as possible! I'd much prefer they base the reapplication timeline from when you last received the bonus. Sure I'd churn the card in that situation, but over the next year I will still be putting spend on my card making them money as I earn my starpoints.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rkj2106
FYI - was thinking of canceling my SPG Amex since I now use Chase Sapphire, don't travel with SPG as much and the hike in fee to $95. I called up SPG to cancel and they promptly offered me 10k points to not cancel right now. I accepted the offer and was told I can keep the points even if I decide to cancel before my renewal fee posts in October.

Similar experiences with SPG re: cancellations or was this agent full of it?
I'd take that deal. For my personal SPG card they only offered me 500 pts and then an addition 1k if I spend $1k on the card. I paid the AF already, but since I just got the business version I don't see the need for two and I am leaning towards calling in and dumping the personal version of the card. If they offered me the 10k then I would certainly keep it for another year.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Red259
I'd take that deal. For my personal SPG card they only offered me 500 pts and then an addition 1k if I spend $1k on the card. I paid the AF already, but since I just got the business version I don't see the need for two and I am leaning towards calling in and dumping the personal version of the card. If they offered me the 10k then I would certainly keep it for another year.
I was pleasantly surprised at the offer The agent seemed a little confused so I won't count the points until I see them post...
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mia
You cannot generate a referral for a card which you do not have. If you have the personal card you can generate personal card referrals, not business card referrals.
I have been having trouble getting the SPG Business Card to generate a referral email at all. I was able to send out one email to someone, but when he hit the link it said "technical difficulties." When I tried to send out another referral email, the Amex site said "your card is not eligible to participate in this campaign."
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by superflush
I have been having trouble getting the SPG Business Card to generate a referral email at all....
A few others have reported the same. ALL of the cards currently listed as eligible for referral are personal cards. Perhaps they simply are not doing any Business card referrals at this time?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
A few others have reported the same. ALL of the cards currently listed as eligible for referral are personal cards. Perhaps they simply are not doing any Business card referrals at this time?
I referred my wife to a biz SPG successfully. Already got the 5K points.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:29 pm
mia

Originally Posted by josephstern
I referred my wife to a biz SPG successfully.
Do you recall the date on which you generated the referral email or link? This seems to have changed in the last couple days.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Do you recall the date on which you generated the referral email or link? This seems to have changed in the last couple days.
I did it on 8/11 - same day as when I received the email.

My email says I can refer to either until 9/14.

"Referrals must be made and your friends must be approved by September 14, 2015."
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:01 pm
mia

Originally Posted by josephstern
...same day as when I received the email.
I don't have this card. Perhaps the business version can be referred only if you have the email invitation, while the personal version can be referred using the website.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
I don't have this card. Perhaps the business version can be referred only if you have the email invitation, while the personal version can be referred using the website.
That makes sense. There are certainly times that others can refer certain cards from their accounts but that I cannot refer those same cards.

As a data point, I'm an SPG Plat. Not sure if Amex knows that though.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Fwiw, I was able to send off a link on August 14th, but then the receiver got the "technical difficulties." However, when I tried to send a referral within the past few days, I have gotten the "Your card is not eligible to participate in this campaign" error.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:18 pm
mia

Originally Posted by superflush
... was able to send off a link on August 14th....
Did you receive a (recent) email invitation to the referral program?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
New card color?

I just logged into my Amex account and the image of my Starwood card is completely new. It's purple and has a chip. My old card doesn't expire til 2019 so I'm not sure when I'll receive this new one.

Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I just logged into my Amex account and the image of my Starwood card is completely new. It's purple and has a chip. My old card doesn't expire til 2019 so I'm not sure when I'll receive this new one.
Discussed in the following thread...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...n-express.html
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Anyone get their purple card yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.