Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by schley
Saw on the spg website you can only do up to 55k a year in spg cc referrals. So this will hurt the bloggers who make a living doing things like that. New?
The referral program available publicly is a completely different program from the affiliate program the bloggers are on. The bloggers make cash, not points, for their referals. It appears to be fairly lucrative, too.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by kmandrew
I am brand new to Starwood, just got the AX card; have been a Hilton Diamond for 13 years so understand redemption rates. I signed up for the AX with the intention of converting 20k to 25k AA miles which I value at .04 we go to Europe every summer in J ($4000 RT is conservative) so every year I need to earn 200k AA miles. So now I'm thinking maybe it woud be more judicious to use them for Starwood stays; after 13 years one kind of gets tired of the same hotels - so I checked a few Starwood hotels in London which had rooms for 20k points or in my parlance $800. What a shocker who would ever use $800 worth of points for a $375 hotel; I am obviously missing something here? Hilton points as many of you know have become much less valuable, probably around .01 so this card will be great for boosting AA. Does any one use their points for actual hotel stays?
At 4 cents per SPG and 1 cent per Hilton I will sell you all the points you could possibly want!!!! That is a crazy overvaluation. Throwing the word "conservative" in just makes it even funnier
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Be very careful before using this card in Australia! Starwood hotels there add a 1.5% foreign surcharge in addition to the 2.7% foreign surcharge fee. Making it a total of 4.2% on each charge - absurd!! I'd say it's never (not once) worth using this card as you'll be hard pressed to redeem for better than 4.2 cents per.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by kmandrew
I am brand new to Starwood, just got the AX card; have been a Hilton Diamond for 13 years so understand redemption rates. I signed up for the AX with the intention of converting 20k to 25k AA miles which I value at .04 we go to Europe every summer in J ($4000 RT is conservative) so every year I need to earn 200k AA miles. So now I'm thinking maybe it woud be more judicious to use them for Starwood stays; after 13 years one kind of gets tired of the same hotels - so I checked a few Starwood hotels in London which had rooms for 20k points or in my parlance $800. What a shocker who would ever use $800 worth of points for a $375 hotel; I am obviously missing something here? Hilton points as many of you know have become much less valuable, probably around .01 so this card will be great for boosting AA. Does any one use their points for actual hotel stays?
Redeeming 20,000 points for a $375 night would be a poor use of points. However, not all redemptions have such a low redemption amount. Still, to find better than 4 cents per, you'll likely have more luck with the Cash & Points option (which for example, I've found at 6 cents per). You can also find 4 cents if you redeem for 4 nights and get the 5ht night free. Those would be your best options when seeking redemptions at 4 cents and above.

And yes, I redeem for hotel stays solely - and use 3 cents as my lowest redemption amount (but look for more where possible).
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by CFFrost
The referral program available publicly is a completely different program from the affiliate program the bloggers are on. The bloggers make cash, not points, for their referals. It appears to be fairly lucrative, too.
Well seeing as there are numerous,bloggers in the game I would say so.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Be very careful before using this card in Australia! Starwood hotels there add a 1.5% foreign surcharge in addition to the 2.7% foreign surcharge fee. Making it a total of 4.2% on each charge - absurd!! I'd say it's never (not once) worth using this card as you'll be hard pressed to redeem for better than 4.2 cents per.
Even though I agree with the premise of not using the SPG Amex on any foreign transactions, I believe you have a computational error in your pricing when it comes to using the card at Australian Starwood hotels.

Since a customer would receive two Starpoints for each dollar of charge at a Starwood hotel, the imbedded cost, using the scenario you provide, would be 2.1 cents per and not 4.2 cents per.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by controller1
Even though I agree with the premise of not using the SPG Amex on any foreign transactions, I believe you have a computational error in your pricing when it comes to using the card at Australian Starwood hotels.

Since a customer would receive two Starpoints for each dollar of charge at a Starwood hotel, the imbedded cost, using the scenario you provide, would be 2.1 cents per and not 4.2 cents per.
I stand corrected. Which means if you redeem at 3 cents per (my general minimum), you're still making out at .9. Not as bad as first thought and good point.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:38 am

The 1.5% surcharge is common in Australia. A number of businesses charge for it -- airlines, souvenir shops, eateries, .etc.

The surcharge is NOT specific to Starwood hotels or foreign credit cards.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Is there anyway to get a points advance from Amex for SPG points? I'm short a few thousand for a big award trip. If I remember correctly it was a feature for MR at some point, but it might not be anymore.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TheChallenge
Is there anyway to get a points advance from Amex for SPG points?
I do recall reports that they have been known to advance an amount equal to your average over the past few months, so it's worth a call.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: UA, AA EXP
Redeeming 20,000 points for a $375 night would be a poor use of points. However, not all redemptions have such a low redemption amount. Still, to find better than 4 cents per, you'll likely have more luck with the Cash & Points option (which for example, I've found at 6 cents per). You can also find 4 cents if you redeem for 4 nights and get the 5ht night free. Those would be your best options when seeking redemptions at 4 cents and above.

And yes, I redeem for hotel stays solely - and use 3 cents as my lowest redemption amount (but look for more where possible).
TS, whats an example of a property you've found at 6cents per, with cash & points option.

cheers
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
N00b alert: as SPG Gold, do you earn 3 points per dollar on cash & points redemptions or no? Example: for a 6000 points + $110/night, will I earn 330 points per night on the $110 spent? I looked through the Gold pdf guide and there's a small footnote which may have the explanation, but I can't find it! Appreciate it!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no1cub17
N00b alert: as SPG Gold, do you earn 3 points per dollar on cash & points redemptions or no? Example: for a 6000 points + $110/night, will I earn 330 points per night on the $110 spent? I looked through the Gold pdf guide and there's a small footnote which may have the explanation, but I can't find it! Appreciate it!
Nope. Zero. No SPG on cash part of cash and points.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by combiblock
TS, whats an example of a property you've found at 6cents per, with cash & points option.

cheers
I got 6.17 cents per at the Sheraton Krabi in Thailand the first week in December.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:40 pm

poster in different thread on FT indicated that 50k and even 75k offers pop up for this card. Is this correct and if so how often, any idea when last one was? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.