Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Too bad this card is not offered in Singapore.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by atjsfo
I'm wondering if two married people could combine points from their SPG accounts?
Yes. You can even do it online, via https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...nsferForm.html

Last edited by beltway; Jun 15, 2012 at 7:53 am
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Yes. Youc an even do it online, via https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...nsferForm.html
Great link - I thought they stopped allowing it to be done online? Or is it just that it needs to be manually approved however it gets submitted?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 4:31 pm

Thinking of cancelling SPG Amex personal soon to avoid the annual fee. My last stay was in September 2011, so will my points expire in September 2012, or does spending on my credit card keep the points alive? I saw that the +100 facebook points does not.

Longer term, is a viable strategy to alternate between SPG Amex personal and SPG Amex business?

Longer longer term, I'm thinking of keeping just one fee card. Chase Sapphire Preferred seems just a better card overall than SPG. Is SPG a relevant program anymore with UltimateRewards?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by wonderboy
Thinking of cancelling SPG Amex personal soon to avoid the annual fee. My last stay was in September 2011, so will my points expire in September 2012, or does spending on my credit card keep the points alive? I saw that the +100 facebook points does not.

Longer term, is a viable strategy to alternate between SPG Amex personal and SPG Amex business?

Longer longer term, I'm thinking of keeping just one fee card. Chase Sapphire Preferred seems just a better card overall than SPG. Is SPG a relevant program anymore with UltimateRewards?
SPG points expire a year after last activity on the account. So if you have been spending anything on your SPG then your points are still active and the 12-month clock has not started. You can search for the thread that has a more exhaustive list of actions that refresh points.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Great link - I thought they stopped allowing it to be done online? Or is it just that it needs to be manually approved however it gets submitted?
I've used the online request form successfully on multiple occasions, although not in the past few months. The back-end process isn't very transparent, although the fact that one has to wait a few days for the transfer to happen suggests that, as you surmise, there's a manual verification/approval step.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:29 am

Does a newly issued SPG Amex in the later months of the year (i.e. getting the card in November 2012) produce the 5 night/2 stay credit for that year (2012) or do you only get the credit by being a card holder at the first of the year?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by wonderboy

I'm not sure why Facebook bonus points would not keep your account alive, but then again, I haven't pursued this -- so I don't know first-hand.

An easy way to keep your Starwood account alive currently is to set up an Audience Rewards account tied to Starwood (the chosen partner) and answer trivia questions. If you do this once every 12 months, that should keep your Starwood points alive indefinitely.

You can also go to an on-site restaurant and spend $10+ to keep your account from expiring. Just keep in mind that you usually need to send the restaurant bill into Starwood to get your points since the hotel usually does not process it correctly, and you need to make sure that the restaurant bill can hypothetically be charged to a room at the hotel (this ensures that the restaurant charges will qualify). Alcohol may or may not count toward the $10 depending on the location of the property.

ExitRowAisle
A Dissatisfied 2nd Class Starwood Platinum Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Edit: SEE POSTS BELOW THIS ONE. Starwood changed it's terms (for the better) 3/1/2012 and any activity now counts.

Starwood Lurker posted the January 2012 terms elsewhere (Terms were Revised March 2012):

3.2. You will be considered an "Active Member" so long as (a) your Membership has not been cancelled (by you or us), and (b) you have had an Eligible Stay at a Participating Property within the previous 12 months, or (c) you have earned Starpoints by using a Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card during the previous 12 months. Starpoints resulting from transfers or earnings from Program affiliates do not count toward active status.
This would be why [in the past] SPG CC Cards & credited stays moved the points expiration date forward, but other activity like the trivia contests did not.

Last edited by reft; Jun 16, 2012 at 12:02 am Reason: Add note about change in T&C's effective 3/1/2012
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by 8tracks
Does a newly issued SPG Amex in the later months of the year (i.e. getting the card in November 2012) produce the 5 night/2 stay credit for that year (2012) or do you only get the credit by being a card holder at the first of the year?
I got my 2/5 stay/nights a few days after ny card was approved, crediting for this year. YMMV.

With respect to points expiration, the language above is out of date. Any earning or redemption works now apparently. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...on-policy.html
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by lkar
With respect to points expiration, the language above is out of date. Any earning or redemption works now apparently. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...on-policy.html
You're right, it looks like 3/1/2012 things changed. (I guess it's time to start doing those trivial contests...)
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
Does anyone have any recent experience with the timing of their theshold bonus points posting?

I went through many of the 100 pages+ of this thread and a lot of the posts relate to people that didn't have their account set up properly to receive the bonus points. Also, back in 2010, it looks like Amex was slow to post these.

In my case, I got my initial 10,000 for first spend with 2 days of my purchase. I just hit the $5,000 threshold that triggers an additional 15,000 bonus -- any chance these threshold points will post as fast as my initial purchase bonus did?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Sam_AE
Does anyone have any recent experience with the timing of their theshold bonus points posting?
[...]
In my case, I got my initial 10,000 for first spend with 2 days of my purchase. I just hit the $5,000 threshold that triggers an additional 15,000 bonus -- any chance these threshold points will post as fast as my initial purchase bonus did?
My DW hit the 2nd threshold several days ago, but no bonus yet. I expect we'll have to wait for her billing cycle to close.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beltway
My DW hit the 2nd threshold several days ago, but no bonus yet. I expect we'll have to wait for her billing cycle to close.
My experience with Amex is that they can post to SPG mid-cycle. My first purchase bonus posted literally 2 days after my first purchase. On the second bonus, they may delay posting to account for returned merchandise, perhaps.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm about 10 days out from my statement close, and I haven't gotten my SPG points. Anyone in the same boat? Usually it's three days or less from the statement close date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.