FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   SPG American Express [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/720571-spg-american-express-master-thread.html)

TravelingWookiee May 20, 2007 5:47 pm

No luck with any of the four.

RedPanda5 May 20, 2007 5:59 pm

Will my card ever be eligible?! GRR

stevechin May 21, 2007 11:03 am

Drat!

Didn't qualify for any of them! I think I spend too much on the card already.:mad:

jrjcopp May 21, 2007 12:59 pm

Ouch! 0 for 4!

riverdoglb May 22, 2007 8:11 am

Tried for 3 days to enroll but keep getting the message "We're sorry, the system is unavailable. Please try again" Is that their way of saying I'm not eligible or ???

cabrits May 22, 2007 11:24 pm

no online application

the materials i received did not have anything for an online application. you can only apply for this over the phone, or via regular mail.

ex0dus May 23, 2007 3:22 pm

Good deal, but NOT as good as AMEX giving me 20,000 SPG points when I converted my Delta card to Starwood card. 10K first use + 10K for hassle during upgrade process. :)

mtaplits May 24, 2007 9:39 pm

Refund to SPG Amex card - lose points?

Question for you all: If I cancel an airline reservation and get a refund to my Amex card, will they deduct the SPG points from my account if they already posted?

Thanks,
Marshall

MikeBOS May 25, 2007 3:04 am

My experience is that they are deducted from the current month's charges (unposted points), not from posted points. If the current month's charges don't cover the refund amount, I'm not sure what they do.

GUWonder May 25, 2007 3:21 am

Originally Posted by MikeBOS (Post 7796547)
My experience is that they are deducted from the current month's charges (unposted points), not from posted points. If the current month's charges don't cover the refund amount, I'm not sure what they do.

The credit card company usually just stops crediting points to the member's account until new spending covers the points already granted for a refunded purchase.

wintermom May 25, 2007 10:01 am

What if I send a payment in before my account is due. Will that payment
credit deduct the points I would have earned?
I want to pay several cards early as I will be on vacation when the cycle
closes and when the payment is due, however I don't want to lose out on
my points.

AZ Travels the World May 25, 2007 10:24 am

Originally Posted by wintermom (Post 7797990)
What if I send a payment in before my account is due. Will that payment
credit deduct the points I would have earned?
I want to pay several cards early as I will be on vacation when the cycle
closes and when the payment is due, however I don't want to lose out on
my points.

You won't lose your points. You'll receive credit for all charges made, even if payments made result in a zero balance by the time you receive your statement.

wintermom May 25, 2007 11:36 am

Thanks for the information!

KosherKimchee May 25, 2007 12:04 pm

Somewhat off-topic, but I had a Starwood credit post to my SPG Amex and I was separately deducted *wood points for Starwood dollars charged.

freebee Jun 4, 2007 8:28 pm

Starwood AMEX clueless about Westin Aruba

After a March stay at Westin Aruba was billed on Starwood Amex as being from Aruba Resort & Spa (property's interim name between its Wyndham to Westin reflagging, which became official 12/20/06), I was never awarded the extra point per dollar of spending at a Starwood property. Notified Amex, which after conducting an "investigation" still maintains that this is not a Starwood property, thus no extra points will be awarded. Guess I'll have to send them an actual copy of my hotel bill which clearly states Westin Aruba!!! Has anyone else had this problem with getting the bonus points from Amex for Westin Aruba or other new Starwood properties?

Renard Jun 4, 2007 8:42 pm

I think people were having similar problems with the extra points on the SPG AMEX with Aladdin spending (of course, after it joined spg). It is fixed now though.

golakers32 Jun 7, 2007 11:22 am

Use AMEX SPG50 without Amex Card?

Good morning,

My folks gave me an AMEX SPG50 certificate that they got via American Express - they are cardholders. I don't have a SPG AMEX. Can I use the certificate anyways at a Starwood property or do I need to conduct the transaction using that AMEX card?

Thanks!

golakers32 Jun 7, 2007 1:32 pm

Bueller?

Recreation Jun 7, 2007 4:28 pm

No, you don't need to use your AMEX.

Uniter Jun 7, 2007 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by golakers32 (Post 7866819)
Bueller?

Wow ... 2 whole hours went by. Patient much? :p

netsean02 Jun 8, 2007 10:04 am

Getting a Starwood AMEX without being a SPG member

I recently signed up to get a personal Starwood AMEX and was not previously a SPG member. The application said if I was not a current member I would automatically be enrolled. My question is how do I know what my SPG account number is now? I got the Card over a week ago, but it didn't include an SPG account number anywhere. My thoughts are the account number is in some obvious place I'm overlooking, or I'll eventually receive this info in the mail and its just taking some extra time.

ewick12 Jun 8, 2007 10:17 am

Originally Posted by netsean02 (Post 7871779)
I recently signed up to get a personal Starwood AMEX and was not previously a SPG member. The application said if I was not a current member I would automatically be enrolled. My question is how do I know what my SPG account number is now? I got the Card over a week ago, but it didn't include an SPG account number anywhere. My thoughts are the account number is in some obvious place I'm overlooking, or I'll eventually receive this info in the mail and its just taking some extra time.

I did the same thing just a week ago. I ended up calling AMEX to get my number since they did not send it to me. But I had to call Starwood afterwards because AMEX gave me the old number. Apparently, my account was merged with a Gold account so Starwood gave me the updated SPG number. Your best bet would probably be to call Starwood first. Good luck! :D

golakers32 Jun 8, 2007 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Uniter (Post 7868204)
Wow ... 2 whole hours went by. Patient much? :p

Sorry - a bit antsy yesterday. :D

Thanks folks.

AZ Travels the World Jun 9, 2007 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by skchin (Post 7878468)
Is that a definate Yes?

No. It states on the front of the certificate, "This award is valid for 50% off regular RACK rates. . . when you pay with your Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express."

However, I have yet to even have a hotel ask for the certificate, let alone care about which credit card I'm using, which is consistent with what most people have reported, so it would be a rare occurrence for it to be a problem at a hotel. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. But, it says what it says, so it's remotely possibly (very remotely, in my experience) that it could be an issue.

tmcneill Jun 30, 2007 9:01 pm

b8b Jul 3, 2007 1:36 am

SPG Amex - now earn upto 25,000 points !!

I searched and did not see this posted already: I think this is a great deal and would jump on it if I didn't want my credit effected by closing down my account(s) and/or applying for another:

SPG Amex Application
Earn 10,000 Starpoints® with your first purchase
Plus– earn an additional 15,000 Starpoints when you spend $15,000 in 6 months

TravelingWookiee Jul 3, 2007 6:36 am

It's a great offer. It's a shame they don't have a business card version of it. (I've at least not been able to find it.)

The 25K point offer is also discussed in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708454

boazs Jul 3, 2007 3:40 pm

15% Off when Paying with Amex

Smile & Relax

Treat yourself and that special someone to the vacation you deserve:

• Receive 15% off your rate when you book now
• Complimentary fruit and cheese plate
• Relax with late checkout, so you can sleep in

Simply pay for your stay at participating Sheraton hotels and resorts with your American Express® Card to take advantage of this special offer now through December 31, 2007.

Terms & Conditions

Offer is valid at participating Sheraton Hotels and Resorts.
Advance reservations are required and may made online, by calling 877-782-0018 mentioning Promotion Code S2A, or through your preferred travel professional.
Offer is valid for stays completed by December 31, 2007 with Thursday – Sunday arrivals required. Resorts do not have an arrival day restriction.
Guests are required to pay with their American Express card.
Package includes a fresh fruit and cheese plate per room per stay and late checkout (subject to availability).
Rates are per room, per night, based on single/double occupancy and availability at time of reservation and do not include additional per room, per night charges that may be imposed or state/local taxes.
A limited number of rooms may be available at these rates.
Blackout dates and other restrictions may apply.
Valid for new reservations only.
Offer not applicable to groups.
Not to be combined with other offers or promotions.
Not responsible for omissions or typographical errors.
Void where prohibited by law.
Starwood reserves the right to discontinue this offer at any time.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...ategory=SMILES

Just tried to find a hotel for an upcoming trip to NY, but go the dreaded "We're sorry, but a temporary error has occurred. Please try your request again".

sc flier Jul 3, 2007 4:29 pm

I see this available for this coming Sunday night at the Sheraton Suites Galleria Atlanta. Rate is $139 -- the same rate as BAR (BAR6). It's ONLY good for that night. It's not available if I add on a second night even though there are still regular rooms available for that night.

Nonrefundable internet rate is $129.

Sheraton Wild Horse Pass is also participating. AAA is 29% better for the night that I checked.
SMILES $189
BAR10 $169
DAILY0 $159 (Nonref internet rate)
AAA $135
GOVT $74

Sorry, I'm not seeing the 15% benefit from my viewpoint.

MrAOK Jul 13, 2007 9:32 pm

Wedding and Starwood Amex points

A friend is talking about holding her wedding in a Westin hotel.

As explained in another thread, Starwood gives 1/3 of a point per $ for spending on meetings or weddings up to a maximum of 20,000, which ain't great.

But she's asking me about what happens if expenses are charged to a Starwood Amex card.

Do wedding expenses get credit at another 1 point per $. Or because they are at Starwood, do they get credited at the higher rate for hotel spending, which i believe is 2 points per $.

her fiance is debating getting a starwoods amex card versus using his member rewards amex

sc flier Jul 14, 2007 5:13 am

I don't have any firsthand experience here, but it sounds to me as if the wedding expenses would get the extra bonus point.

From the Amex fine print:
You will receive one additional Starpoint for each U.S. dollar of Eligible Spending charged on your Card account at Starwood-branded hotels and resorts then participating in the Starwood Preferred Guest loyalty program, and at standalone retail establishments and online stores that, in each case, are wholly owned by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. Starwood associates do not receive any additional Starpoints as a Starwood Preferred Guest member for hotel stays and spend.

"Eligible Spending" includes purchases of goods or services, which purchases have not been returned or otherwise rescinded, and are not subject to a credit; it does NOT include fees, Finance Charges, Cash Advances (including the use of checks, line activators, automated teller machines or other means of accessing your account), Balance Transfers, or adjustments to your account. We reserve the right not to award any Starpoints for transactions we determine are not made with the good faith intention of consuming the item charged.

I don't see any fine print to indicate that wedding services are not "Eligible Spending."

(Personally, I like the SPG Amex more than the Member Rewards program even at only 1 Starpoint per dollar.)

Austin99 Jul 14, 2007 12:00 pm

I had my wedding at a starwood hotel. How they give points can and should be negotiated. They won't have a problem throwing in some extra starpoints if you are spending some money.

bpoe19 Jul 14, 2007 12:43 pm

I just got married at the Sheraton Grand Bahamas in April and had a terrible experience with the hotel. They missed every suspense, never responded to calls or emails, promised us everything will be taken care of before we got there...all lies. We went through 3 different coordinators. They messed up every room request the wedding party made and I asked for a points increase and got nothing.

I have all the documentation from the many numerous negative repsonses. Is there a way to request extra points? We spent 8 nights there and dropped a good amount on rooms and bar tabs.

rich120 Jul 14, 2007 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by bpoe19 (Post 8056158)
I just got married at the Sheraton Grand Bahamas in April and had a terrible experience with the hotel. They missed every suspense, never responded to calls or emails, promised us everything will be taken care of before we got there...all lies. We went through 3 different coordinators. They messed up every room request the wedding party made and I asked for a points increase and got nothing.

I have all the documentation from the many numerous negative repsonses. Is there a way to request extra points? We spent 8 nights there and dropped a good amount on rooms and bar tabs.

Definately follow up. I've called over little things and gotten points.

margaretlb Jul 14, 2007 10:01 pm

I joined SPG right before booking my daughter's wedding at W Union Square NYC. Her wedding is next May (2008). I read in the contract that I'd be eligible for "Planner Points" at the rate of 1 per $3. Not good. I insisted that I wanted regular SPG points at 2 per $1. I argued that I was not a planner in the "employ" of the host and not "registered" as a planner with Starwood. The coordinator kept referring to the Planner points as more valuable. I didn't bite and did get in writing that I'd get regular SPG points. I'll see next May what I receive but I feel I have a strong position for the 2 per $1. I'm meeting next week with a new coordinator (previous one left) and you can bet I'll get the same committment from her.

Amy28 Jul 15, 2007 11:33 pm

Is this deal dead? I have a couple of friends that I told to sign up for the card and wouldn't mind a few extra points of my own :)

gregorygrady Jul 15, 2007 11:58 pm

Yes, it's dead........

MrAOK Jul 16, 2007 10:25 am

but has anyone done it. charged a wedding or meeting and gotten amex credit at 2 points per $?

also, for the points coming directly from the hotel (and not from amex). Did anyone successfully convince the hotel you aren't planners and in fact receive something besides 1/3 point per $. If so what did the hotel do in points and at what ratio?

yanxfann Jul 16, 2007 6:27 pm

Anyone else get stiffed by SPG for any/all of your referral bonuses for this promo? As in incentive to let me refer them I gave 2K airline miles to each of 4 FTers via a post on CC, all 4 of them assured me that they were accepted and actually received the card. However I only received 3 referral bonuses, not 4. When I contacted SPG of course they told me that it was a matter to take up with the SPG Amex folks, when I called them I was assured that they would look into it - I even gave them the 4 referrees names. That was over two months ago.

Either a FTer who I referred lied to me and didn't receive the card or the Amex folks dropped the ball. I'm betting it was the latter.

gregorygrady Jul 17, 2007 3:43 pm

Same thing happened to me, only 15k of the 20k points posted. Turns out one of my referrals didn't activate and charge anything to the card so that's why the points didn't post. :( Then they couldn't find the card so they had to call and order a new one. Hopefully I'll still be able to get the pts at this late date. Check with all your referrals to make sure their 10k SPG points posted properly. If their points all posted, so should yours have. My brothers 20k points for his 4 referrals all posted fine without any problems.......................