Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Peachtree Plaza, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Peachtree Plaza, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
CXYYZ, you took the words right out of my mouth. I had an almost exactly identical experience as well as impressions of the hotel. I do not plan to return.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:40 pm

I stayed there during a conference and was very happy. Nice room with a great view on the 50th floor. The restaurant was good. There were other dining options nearby, including a food court and various restaurants. I believe there's a Ruth's Chris within walking distance although I didn't go there. You guys must have much higher standards than I do.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 7:45 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I don't quite understand how anyone can hold a hotel responsible for construction noise that isn't the hotel's own construction. You're downtown; construction happens in urban areas.

I'll be staying there in June, and the key point is location for a hotel like this. I'll just bring earplugs, if needed.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by CXYYZ
- the area really is a let down. There are lots of hotels and a few dining options, but the area is totally dead on a weeknight. Buckhead would be a much better area to stay if on a leisure trip or if it fits your plans.
Agree 100% with you. Downtown Atlanta is old area while Buckhead seems to be a newer/nicer and more upscale area.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I don't quite understand how anyone can hold a hotel responsible for construction noise that isn't the hotel's own construction. You're downtown; construction happens in urban areas.
I absolutely agree, and I was able to drown the noise out by putting the fan on a constant speed rather than keeping it on auto. My point was not that the noise actually bothered me but that the room I was given was far short of a "preferred" room.

Originally Posted by Bobster
You guys must have much higher standards than I do
Much lower actually All I really wanted was to find a pizza place or some fast food other than McDonald's.

Last edited by CXYYZ; Mar 31, 2007 at 4:28 pm
Old Mar 31, 2007, 7:49 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Bobster
I stayed there during a conference and was very happy. Nice room with a great view on the 50th floor. The restaurant was good. There were other dining options nearby, including a food court and various restaurants. I believe there's a Ruth's Chris within walking distance although I didn't go there. You guys must have much higher standards than I do.

Perhaps the point he was attempting to make (and certainly one with which I concur) is that DT ATL seems to have a dearth of solid restaurant options when compared with other DT cosmopolitan centers. ATL's sidewalks really do roll up when the 8-5 crowd gets in their cars and drives home. Everytime I'm in ATL for business, we seem to stay DT but always take a cab 15 minutes away for dinner.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 9:04 am

Programs: starwood plat 5*elite svo, usair, delta, jetblue, southwest, nwa
peachtree looks nice, would anyone recommend the sheraton buckhead? is it nice, how does it compare to the westin buckhead? what is there to do there?
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:54 am

Westin Peachtree Plaza

As a platinum member who stayed at Westin Peachtree Plaza, I must say that I am extremely disappointed. The room carpet is old with lots of stains, the bathroom was full of mold stench that just wouldn't go away.

People serving breakfast paid more attention to who ordered from the menu as opposed to those who went for buffet to save time.

I am not sure what is going on with this hotel whose cafe's have mediocre food, the lounge bartenders seem to have a chip on their shoulder....

If the starwood lurker is around, kind pay attention as this hotel may harm Westin's reputation as the one on PEachtree is the largest hotel...
Btw, all the people in my group had exactly the same experience and opinion (there were 8 of us and all of us cancelled our reservations for the next six weeks and decided to go go Marriott)
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:04 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by getmaxpoints
...If the starwood lurker is around, kind pay attention as this hotel may harm Westin's reputation as the one on PEachtree is the largest hotel...
Btw, all the people in my group had exactly the same experience and opinion (there were 8 of us and all of us cancelled our reservations for the next six weeks and decided to go go Marriott)
My apologies for the poor guest experience. I am sure that both the corporate office and the hotel general manager would like to hear from you and your group on an individual basis. You can contact them by calling 800-328-6242 or sending an email to [email protected].

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
As there are many threads, I guess getmaxpoints, didn't read the very mixed reviews on this property.

I've had fair to very good experiences at this propert, but as the norm here at Flyertalk, its always best to research here on FT first.

getmaxpoints, did you speak to management while on site? I believe that discussing issues with management while on site tends to get a better reaction then waiting until after you've checked out.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I stayed there on Monday night this week. I advised the Hotel Manager, before I departed, that I would be giving the worst review I have ever given to a hotel when I got the survey. They have some of the nicest people I have ever encounterd, but not enough of them. And, in fairness, there are some serious "brand" problems which Peachtree doesn't control. I had about 10 significant complaints, and none of them were about the quality of the room or the upgrade or the politeness of the staff.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:31 pm
Suspended

whoa! sbrower, I can't wait to read your review!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
whoa! sbrower, I can't wait to read your review!
Remember, this is just a compilation of problems in a single 1 night stay - but, in my opinion, many of them are "brand" problems, not unique to this property:

Good Points - Staff here is very courteous and knowledgeable. I requested early check-in, said I didn't care about upgrade. They still tried (without asking) to find an upgrade, but I didn't want 2 beds, so they got me a standard King room (needed a nap before meeting). The hotel is clean, all the staff was polite, my room was fine.

Issues - (Not in order of importance)

Summary - I understand that the hotel business is improving and profits are finally returning. I accept economics. So I am paying over $250/night for my room, about $50 for a room service meal and about $40 for valet parking and $5 for package receipt. But, at those prices, I think I should get reasonable service. (Peachtree is a huge hotel with good occupancy when I was there, so there should be appropriate staffing.)

TV Room Service Menu - Brand problem, a bad idea, but at least the implementation was awful. (See my comments on separate thread.) Is an omlette a "revive" or a "rejuvinate" or a "breakfast" or a "[I can't remember]". Hint - It isn't a breakfast. This is really a terrible idea, just in case you don't understand my sentiments.

FedEx Package - I got to my room at 10:30 a.m. (early check-in). I check my computer and had a confirmation from FedEx that a package (sent from my office) had been delivered to the hotel at 8:30 a.m. No message light. I called and they transferred me (see "Service Express") to the baggage room. Yes, they have the package. The delivery charge of $5 (for a 1 lb package, way more if it was heavier) doesn't bother me IF THEY GAVE THE SERVICE. Why didn't they advise me that a package was waiting?

Service Express - Brand problem. What could have been a good idea is badly implemented because they don't hire enough people and they don't give them enough training. "Let's rename the phone operator as 'service express' and let's not give any training." Now, instead of having a button to push for "parking valet" or "bell desk" I need to first wait for the Service Express person to answer the phone (up to 50 rings) and *then* they try to transfer me. Why do I need to wait 50 rings to be transferred? Why don't you just give me a list of extensions? [Based on this stay I will now require, at check-in, that I be given a list of extensions in the hotel for the services I need.]

Parking Valet - They charge a lot of money, but I don't mind because they say "Call ahead and your car will be waiting." Wish it was true. Call Service Express, wait 5 to 50 rings. "Let me transfer you to parking." Of course, parking only answers 1 time out of 10. Other times it rings (about 20 rings) and then goes back to the Service Express person. "Let me try again." I finally ask for the hotel manager and tell him to call the garage, explaining that he should start by calling service express and see how he likes being on hold for 5 minutes when he has other important things to do. Even when the manager calls, and I go downstairs, the car still isn't waiting. 5 minutes later "Sorry, one of the valets blocked your car with another car."

Room Service - Why is it that the Service Express person always sounds like this is the first room service order they ever took? Why don't they know the soup of the day? What desserts are still available? Why don't they know whether or not to ask "what kind of toast do you want with that"? Someone in management said "We can save money by having the telephone operator do 5 jobs." I can understand that. But, when you try to save *more* money by failing to train the person, and failing to give them a system that lets them know what is still available, you ruin the experience.

Wake Up Call - I know I can set the alarm by the bed. But, since it usually goes off at odd times, the first thing I do is unplug that device. I like a wake-up call. Apparently I am not alone because at 11pm at night, when I call "Service Express," it appears that "Express" already went to bed and left "Service" to answer all the calls. NINETY rings before someone answers.

Room Service - Late. I ordered the night before because I have a meeting. If I order 8 hours in advance, I would like it to be on time.

Shoes - BAD. I put my shoes on the door with a card that says "$7 charge. Your shoes will be delivered by 7am." The charge is $5 more than I usually pay (some are complimentary) but I want the service. At 7:30am I have a message on my phone "Your shoes are ready. Please call the Bellstand." I call Service Express (there isn't any extension for the Bellstand) and say "I don't want to be transferred to them. I want my shoes back on my door ASAP like it said." 30 minutes later, no shoes. I need to leave for a meeting and I am doing work on the computer and phone. At this point I figured out the problem - if they had delivered them to the door, like they said they would, there would be no tip for the bellman. But with a shoe service, and with morning meetings, that is exactly what I expect. Make the charge $8, but give me my damn shoes, don't hold them hostage. I call Service Express, again, and my shoes finally come. (The "Do Not Disturb" sign is ignored and they knock, rather than hanging the shoes.)

Service Express - Every time I call it is too long a wait. And they don't actually handle almost anything (other than room service, where they don't know the details and I can't find the details because the television menu system is awful). Calling for parking valet several times a day makes this a multiple annoyance.

Coffee Maker - This one is personal preference, but I want to include it here. I don't mind the new coffee maker, in theory, and I realize that they ordered so many that it is too late to get any change. HOWEVER, my problem is that I throw 1/2 of the cups of coffee in the trash, before I dring them. Why? Because there isn't any warmer. It is quite common for me (with this coffee maker and others) to say "Gee, I want coffee now." Then I make it. Then I get 10 email messages and 2 phone calls. It is now 45 minutes later. With the old machine the coffee was still fine. With the new one it got cold during those 45 minutes, so it goes in the trash.

Check out - Not enough people at the front desk so it takes too long. And the parking wasn't posted timely so it didn't appear on the "under the door" bill.

Was this a disaster? Of course not. But it actually reflected some serious brand problems and it really did affect my view of this stay.

Last edited by sbrower; Jul 23, 2007 at 11:37 am Reason: Add Coffee Maker comment
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:34 pm
Suspended

wow.

In regards to parking. I posted in my review of this property that you must have parking taken care of BEFORE you check out or it will not show on your final bill.

I suggested that someone (either the check in clerk or the Valet staff) should tell guests that at upfront.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 7:43 am

What is your point

Cheap Elite - What exactly is your point?

I am allowed to post my experience in whatever manner I chose. If you are not happy about, it is unfortunate, however, keep your feelings and opinions to yourself.

Unlike you, I do not have so much extra time to search and read and then post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.