Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Peachtree Plaza, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Peachtree Plaza, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2002, 4:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta
For some reason, the folks at the Westin Calgary in Canada always take a copy of my passport at chek-in. This used to happen years before the terrorist attacks.

------------------
AAdvantage Platinum
AMEX Platinum (Canada)
Old Apr 20, 2002, 5:21 pm

The inmates are truly running the asylum. We keep this insanity up and Osama and his buddies will have won. Maybe fingerprint and background check too. Will they want to see our tax returns? Will Uncle Sam want to see a photo ID when we pay our taxes?
Old Apr 20, 2002, 9:53 pm

If it is a prepaid reservation the ID should be checked to ensure that the person who paid matches who is staying at the property. Otherwise, probably more a safeguard against credit card fraud than anything else.
Old Apr 21, 2002, 2:02 pm

My ID was checked when i checked into the Westin Diplomat, first i thought it was because i looked under 21, then i thought maybe it was because i had prepaid the reservation, but then when i stood there and watched them check in other people i saw that they asked other people for ID as well. I really dont care, you need your picture ID to fly, and i hear you now need it to take the train, if you drive there you will have a picture ID so whats the harm in showing it when you check into a hotel???
Old Apr 21, 2002, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh give it a rest.

Most of the time that I check in to a hotel I have to take my Starwood and credit cards out of my wallet anyway, taking an ID too isn't a problem. They've been doing it on the Vegas strip for years, and it hasn't seemed to impact their profitability.

Send a letter and boycott hotels if it's that much of a problem. If you're using your real name and credit card, the hotel already knows who you are, confirming it with a picture ID isn't any extra burden, and it doesn't even make sense to compare it to fingerprints or background checks.

d
Old Apr 21, 2002, 3:54 pm

Last Saturday, they asked for a photo I.D. at the Westin SFO. To be honest, I did not even think twice. I think for the forseeable future, being asked to provide a photo I.D. is going to be pretty commonplace, whether it be in a hotel or going into an office building as a visitor.
Old Apr 21, 2002, 5:24 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Have kept quiet about this for months since it first happened at a non Starwood property after Sept 11th.Then they had no guests so I suppose this made them feel more secure and they had plenty of time to waste. I find this to be a complete invasion of privacy and resent it bitterly as a frequent Platinum stay member.Could understand this somewhat for a more recent member or new guest.All in all its a policy to slow down the check in process annoying/angering guests especially when the check in lines are long
.Along with the cut backs in staff at many/most hotels this is clearly a policy to cut out now rather then later.The hotel industry survived a few gazillion years without this policy and now its becoming mandatory. More pathetic one hotel chain starts it another copies it .As they say Whatever
Old Apr 22, 2002, 8:00 am

Why is this an invasion of privacy? The hotels are trying to make sure they know the identity of patrons staying with them, and to prevent credit card fraud. Now, if you are checking in with the exact same person every time, sure, they know you, dont have to check your ID every time. But, if its someone new at the front desk, or you havent stayed there before, let them check it.

Being platinum doesnt mean you dont have to follow the rules.
Old Apr 22, 2002, 10:49 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I find the practice sporadic at many SPG and non-SPG hotels since 9/11. Sometimes they ask for ID, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they have someone at the elevators checking room keys, sometimes they don't.

It's a laughable approach to providing guests an extra 'feeling' of security, at best.
Old Apr 22, 2002, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777 global mile hound:
I find this to be a complete invasion of privacy and resent it bitterly as a frequent Platinum stay member.Could understand this somewhat for a more recent member or new guest.</font>
I have exactly the opposite opinion. For the frequent Platinum guest, there's no invasion of privacy, as they already know who you are, what your address is, etc. It's the infrequent guest whose privacy is invaded, as although they have your name (probably your true name if you use a credit card), they don't necessarily know your address or other details. Most states require a hotel/motel to get your address when you register, but many people use a business address for this purpose if they're worried about privacy.
Old Jul 2, 2002, 7:07 am

any luck with Plat upgrade at Westin Peachtree Atlanta??

Anybody had any luck getting an updgrade at this property?

I have been staying there Monday-Friday for the past four weeks, and have not received a Platinum upgrade once yet. I haven't asked them or pushed the issue, but I probably will in the next week or two. Just wanted to find out if anybody has any info before I do.

I have been staying on a reduced corporate rate - I know technically that should not affect the chance of an upgrade but who knows.
Old Jul 2, 2002, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Cattle Class
I used to stay in this property last march/april, and 90% of the time i get my upgrade to a junior suite or even the conference suite. they seem to acknowledge my plat. status everytime.

i guess you just have to ask them nicely....
Old Jul 2, 2002, 3:52 pm

I have stayed there many times in the past and only once received an upgrade when it was just a one night stay. I've never rec'd an upgrade if it was a 3-4 night stay.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 10:15 am

Programs: CX Silver, SPG Gold
Westin Peachtree Platinum Questions

I am meeting my father in ATL, for new years. He is a platinum SPG, what should we expect in terms of upgrades? Are there any particular rooms/floors that might be better than others? I checked his reservation on spg.com, and there is no upgrade mentioned. Will their upgrade be visible on spg.com. I am new at ft and to this process. Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2002, 10:20 am

i spent 4 months in the hotel, checking in every monday and out every friday. no upgrade, not even once. but others have reported success.

there are several floors towards the top that have better quality soap/shampoo, robes, etc. ask for one of those floors. also, ask for a room with a view of the olympic park. i forget what compass direction that is, but it is much better than any of the other views.

good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.