Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
The property does not participate in Suite Night Awards.
Print Wikipost

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Old May 4, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
Yeah, this hotel is a joke for the price it's always being listed at. For $200-250, it's fine, but I haven't been able to see prices under $400 for the last 3 years i've been coming to Japan.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Evident
Yeah, this hotel is a joke for the price it's always being listed at. For $200-250, it's fine, but I haven't been able to see prices under $400 for the last 3 years i've been coming to Japan.
I agree. It's a place to earn or use points. (Cash & Points is a decent deal.) Lounge access as a Platinum provides a decent breakfast.

Otherwise, I've stayed here several times and have yet to be impressed by a room, including suites.

The Hyatt Regency in Kyoto is a MUCH better option if one is looking for an American chain, albeit at typically a higher price.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Looks like a two night stay there starting today is just $178/night. I recall spending 10k points a night there just a few months ago.

We were upgraded to a junior suite, and the room was definitely showing its age, but we enjoyed the complimentary breakfast downstairs. I believe we took the buffet one day and a waiter service restaurant another time. Accessibility to Kyoto via subway (and shuttle) was good. Suiran was definitely nicer but also 2.5-3x more expensive.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: ex-SPG Platinum, Marriott LG, *G United
We were here last summer, a family of three on points. Nice SPG plat room upgrade, breakfast was great. Location is good. This hotel was wonderful.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:15 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I've had JPY 13k-ish BRGs here for several years in a row during cherry blossom and fall colors season. The trick is to book far out, when SPG only shows fantastically high rates, while European consolidators have much more reasonable rates.

It's not a very good hotel, but the barf sign in the club bathroom (down the stairs) alone is worth staying here. I've never had spectacular upgrades, and the breakfast and club are meh, but I do like the location near Philosopher's Path. There's no way I'd stay here if rates were over $150, and I'd only shell out the increased points requirement (Cat 5) on a high demand date.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: ex-SPG Platinum, Marriott LG, *G United
This review is 100% BS. The hotel is really very nice.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vanabb
In my handful of stays here, I would say the only 'really very nice' aspect of the property is its location. It seems to me that is what they are selling and they seem to have little motivation to invest in it.

The rooms I've had as SPG Platinum range from ridiculously small to mediocre at best to downright dated -- never anything close to 'very nice.' I would rate my service experiences as average to challenged.

We all have differing expectations and experiences with hotels, which is what makes this forum so robust. Based on my personal experiences here, unfortunately, I have no problem picturing the experience of the reviewer.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vanabb
its not $500/night nice, which is what it usually goes for anymore.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:39 am

Is it $300/night nice for a Deluxe Grand View room? If not, what in Kyoto is nicer at that price? Clean, reasonably spacious and good location are key for me, with a good view a plus.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
I've had JPY 13k-ish BRGs here for several years in a row during cherry blossom and fall colors season. The trick is to book far out, when SPG only shows fantastically high rates, while European consolidators have much more reasonable rates.

It's not a very good hotel, but the barf sign in the club bathroom (down the stairs) alone is worth staying here. I've never had spectacular upgrades, and the breakfast and club are meh, but I do like the location near Philosopher's Path. There's no way I'd stay here if rates were over $150, and I'd only shell out the increased points requirement (Cat 5) on a high demand date.
Anyone stay there as a gold recently? I'm guessing on the SPG side you don't really get much. Have a stay booked next August for under USD$175/night so the value seems to be ok.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by viracocha
Anyone stay there as a gold recently? I'm guessing on the SPG side you don't really get much. Have a stay booked next August for under USD$175/night so the value seems to be ok.
I'm gold and stayed in July 2017. I got a room with a view but the same level as when I booked. I believe the hotel was fairly filled up due to the time of year. No complaints though, this hotel is awesome.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
^^ Especially as RC and Hyatt were going for that price when we visited - both are far superior properties.

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
In my handful of stays here, I would say the only 'really very nice' aspect of the property is its location.
I did not find location to be great as we required bus/taxi/subway/shuttle in almost all cases to get where we wanted to go. That being said, it's not in the 'burbs or anything

Originally Posted by viracocha
Anyone stay there as a gold recently?
Don't expect anything (esp. at that rate) except maybe an upgrade from the worst rooms to something decent. I think you get a free drink at the bar, too.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
^^ Especially as RC and Hyatt were going for that price when we visited - both are far superior properties.

I did not find location to be great as we required bus/taxi/subway/shuttle in almost all cases to get where we wanted to go. That being said, it's not in the 'burbs or anything

Don't expect anything (esp. at that rate) except maybe an upgrade from the worst rooms to something decent. I think you get a free drink at the bar, too.
Just asking, does gold member get breakfast here? If not, what is the price? Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: Free Agent
This is the only Starwood property in Kyoto - taxi was about 1600 Yen from the train station. I could have taken the complimentary hotel shuttle but wasn’t in the mood to search for the shuttle spot. The hotel was booked pretty solid, but to my surprise I was upgraded to a junior suite. I had a second room that was not upgraded. Both rooms were clean and somewhat typical of a Westin room. While it was a concern prior to my stay, I didn’t feel that the rooms were dated or dirty. The superior room was a bit cramped, but the junior suite was approximately twice the size. Air conditioning controls were all in Japanese. I found it odd that there was an English guide to using the TV remote, but not the AC.

Breakfast is offered either in the restaurant or lounge. Breakfast in the restaurant falls short of Westin standards. While food was a decent quality, it was run more like a cafeteria, probably due to all the group travel. Staff’s only responsibilities were clearing and cleaning tables. Tea or coffee were not offered. Silverware and napkins were at a self serve station. Plates and glasses were in short supply at times too. The Lounge puts out a small spread in the mornings that allows you to get away from the madness of the restaurant. Not as much variety, obviously, but it’s good enough. Lounge offerings during the evenings are a joke - you could help yourself to water, juice, nuts, and crackers.

Wifi was decent at 10Mbps. Fitness center looked fine. Shuttle service left every 20 minutes and drops you off at a location I can’t recall, Gion, and the train station. Time to the train station is roughly 30 minutes. All the staff were friendly and helpful.

I would stay here again if the price was right. But I suspect there are better non-SPG options in Kyoto, which I would look into first.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Condition One
This is the only Starwood property in Kyoto - taxi was about 1600 Yen from the train station. I could have taken the complimentary hotel shuttle but wasnt in the mood to search for the shuttle spot. The hotel was booked pretty solid, but to my surprise I was upgraded to a junior suite. I had a second room that was not upgraded. Both rooms were clean and somewhat typical of a Westin room. While it was a concern prior to my stay, I didnt feel that the rooms were dated or dirty. The superior room was a bit cramped, but the junior suite was approximately twice the size. Air conditioning controls were all in Japanese. I found it odd that there was an English guide to using the TV remote, but not the AC.

Breakfast is offered either in the restaurant or lounge. Breakfast in the restaurant falls short of Westin standards. While food was a decent quality, it was run more like a cafeteria, probably due to all the group travel. Staffs only responsibilities were clearing and cleaning tables. Tea or coffee were not offered. Silverware and napkins were at a self serve station. Plates and glasses were in short supply at times too. The Lounge puts out a small spread in the mornings that allows you to get away from the madness of the restaurant. Not as much variety, obviously, but its good enough. Lounge offerings during the evenings are a joke - you could help yourself to water, juice, nuts, and crackers.

Wifi was decent at 10Mbps. Fitness center looked fine. Shuttle service left every 20 minutes and drops you off at a location I cant recall, Gion, and the train station. Time to the train station is roughly 30 minutes. All the staff were friendly and helpful.

I would stay here again if the price was right. But I suspect there are better non-SPG options in Kyoto, which I would look into first.
Cant agree more regarding breakfast at the main restaurant. Were you offered the Japanese breakfast at the Chinese restaurant? I find the breakfast there a much more relaxing and exclusive affair, service up a few notches as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.