FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   St. Regis - Washington D.C. post renovation 2008 on [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/712702-st-regis-washington-d-c-post-renovation-2008-master-thread.html)

rbw5t Aug 1, 2019 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30334658)

You have to take the breakfast benefit in the restaurant.

Be forewarned: this can be a very curiously (and poorly) managed property, and it’s one in dire need for a renovation of its rooms and suites. I had a horrendous stay here a few years ago.

Do we know if a Titanium breakfast benefit can be used for the Sunday brunch here? Thanks!

bhrubin Aug 1, 2019 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by rbw5t (Post 31368463)
Do we know if a Titanium breakfast benefit can be used for the Sunday brunch here? Thanks!

You'll have to call and ask to be sure--but I wouldn't think so. Most often, the breakfast benefit does not extend to Sunday brunch for almost all hotels.

dcht Nov 2, 2020 11:25 am

Can anyone who has stayed here recently let me know what the breakfast situation is please?

platbrownguy Nov 4, 2020 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by dcht (Post 32789946)
Can anyone who has stayed here recently let me know what the breakfast situation is please?

Can't answer that but keep in mind that this hotel sits directly at 16th & K Streets NW, which has been blockaded off as BLM Plaza. It is a site of frequent protesting that often turns violent. As a DC resident, I cannot recommend staying here for the time being.

Also, according to the website, the restaurant, bar, and lobby F&B service are all suspended (room service only), so at best you might get something dropped at your door in a bag. But maybe the website hasn't been updated.

dcstudent Nov 5, 2020 8:49 am

I can tell you the bar/restaurant is still closed - as I stopped in off the street for a drink and was told the bar/restaurant was closed. You can still access the hotel off of I street - the DC police have it set so one lane of BLM Plaza/16th Street can be used to get to the St Regis.

I wouldn't worry about violence (I've been in town since September for work and walk through BLM plaza every morning and evening and have never felt physically unsafe - even on election day), but I would be concerned about noise. (Of course your tolerance to walk through/around protesters may well be different.) Between the protesters, police, sirens, music, etc...it does get quite loud especially in the evening/night.

I'm actually surprised the St. Regis is open right now given the lack of need for luxury rooms + the unique location and issues faced by being on BLM Plaza a block from Lafayette Square. If you're not worried about elite treatment the MO, Four Seasons, Conrad, Park Hyatt, Fairmont and Ritz Georgetown are all open again and I think any one of those would be a better choice right now - with my preferences being the Park Hyatt or Four Seasons.

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 32796361)
Can't answer that but keep in mind that this hotel sits directly at 16th & K Streets NW, which has been blockaded off as BLM Plaza. It is a site of frequent protesting that often turns violent. As a DC resident, I cannot recommend staying here for the time being.

Also, according to the website, the restaurant, bar, and lobby F&B service are all suspended (room service only), so at best you might get something dropped at your door in a bag. But maybe the website hasn't been updated.

Quinlanty Nov 5, 2020 12:26 pm

I have been staying here with my boyfriend when he comes to DC for campaign stuff. The breakfast benefit is available (a $60 FB credit. Order the lobster and crab omelet, its fantastic!) The bar is open, and has been decently busy, however Alhambra is closed. In terms of BLM plaza, do not let it scare you away. My boyfriend was wearing his Trump mask as we walked in and out of the hotel, (if you are staying at the hotel the police will move police car out of the way to let you into the driveway), and not a single person at the BLM protest was aggressive or confrontational.

Boraxo Nov 5, 2020 2:51 pm

Is the construction next to the hotel completed?

platbrownguy Nov 7, 2021 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 32798295)
Is the construction next to the hotel completed?

Any stays here in the past year?

I booked three nights this coming week and the SNAs cleared (it's just a junior/Metropolitan suite but worth using SNAs to avoid the base rooms here). The AAA rate is great and includes valet parking. But I have a parallel res at the Mayflower in a deluxe 1BR suite too... and I'm having trouble deciding which to keep and which to cancel. The St.R is a little cheaper than the Mayflower but it's not materially different.

Any input on how service has been, breakfast benefit, willingness to upgrade (or negotiate an upgrade) to a proper suite, etc., would be useful...

ElevatorEnthusiast Nov 8, 2021 11:09 am

Oops, forgot to talk about my stay here from a couple of months back! Loved the location (the street is still under construction, but I never saw any activity). There was a wedding on my night, so I only got upgraded to a Grand Luxe on the top floor with an interior view. The room was definitely spacious, but instead of a couch as specified in the photos, there were two armchairs. The bed was comfy. The bathroom was a bit small but had amazing shower pressure. Breakfast benefit in the restaurant definitely covered a full breakfast (pancakes, side of bacon, and endless coffee - the server was very thorough in refills), but I don't remember the exact credit amount. The check-in agent was very nice - when he asked if I wanted late check-out, I said 4 PM, and he made a point of saying "Of course, it's guaranteed." when I mentioned that some properties have been pushing back.

I haven't stayed at the Mayflower, but if the StR is cheaper, it seems like a no-brainer in my mind to go with the StR.

platbrownguy Nov 8, 2021 11:36 am

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast (Post 33711934)
Oops, forgot to talk about my stay here from a couple of months back! Loved the location (the street is still under construction, but I never saw any activity). There was a wedding on my night, so I only got upgraded to a Grand Luxe on the top floor with an interior view. The room was definitely spacious, but instead of a couch as specified in the photos, there were two armchairs. The bed was comfy. The bathroom was a bit small but had amazing shower pressure. Breakfast benefit in the restaurant definitely covered a full breakfast (pancakes, side of bacon, and endless coffee - the server was very thorough in refills), but I don't remember the exact credit amount. The check-in agent was very nice - when he asked if I wanted late check-out, I said 4 PM, and he made a point of saying "Of course, it's guaranteed." when I mentioned that some properties have been pushing back.

I haven't stayed at the Mayflower, but if the StR is cheaper, it seems like a no-brainer in my mind to go with the StR.

Thanks for the positive review and particularly breakfast. I attempted to negotiate via the app for an Astor Suite but they sold out between my message and the response. The app agent offered St. Regis Suite for an add'l $500/night and negotiated down to $350 but we don't really have a need for that much space, just would have been nice to have a true separate bedroom. But, we decided to keep the St.R. I haven't stayed there since 2018, it's walkable to Joe's and the Old Ebbitt (and my office...), and the water pressure sounds great. Water pressure is probably by favorite thing about the rooms I've had at St.R NY. It's like an ornate fire hose.

ElevatorEnthusiast Nov 8, 2021 11:43 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 33712033)
Thanks for the positive review and particularly breakfast. I attempted to negotiate via the app for an Astor Suite but they sold out between my message and the response. The app agent offered St. Regis Suite for an add'l $500/night and negotiated down to $350 but we don't really have a need for that much space, just would have been nice to have a true separate bedroom. But, we decided to keep the St.R. I haven't stayed there since 2018, it's walkable to Joe's and the Old Ebbitt (and my office...), and the water pressure sounds great. Water pressure is probably by favorite thing about the rooms I've had at St.R NY. It's like an ornate fire hose.

The head was small, but it packed a mighty punch!
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...5b3af57700.jpg

platbrownguy Nov 12, 2021 8:56 pm

Just wrapped up a really great 3 night stay here! The day before check in, in a conversation in response to the welcome email, I was able to land an upgrade to the St. Regis Suite for an extra $250/night, which was the most I was willing to pay. They gave us the top floor suite (818) and it was nice and spacious. At check in, I recognized the agent from the Westin Georgetown, so we had a nice chat and he sent up a bottle of sparkling wine, some mixed nuts, and some chocolates as a welcome gift.

Butler service provided French press coffee daily, 2 items for pressing, and shoe shines. I also sent out a suit for dry cleaning around 9:45am and the butler had it back in my closet by 5, $28.50, which isn't terrible for hotel dry cleaning.

The lobby looks and feels great, the bar is elegant and lively (and open until midnight except on Sundays), and room service is available 6a-11p. We did breakfast by room service (which is allowed for the plat or higher breakfast amenity), and it was wonderful. The benefit is just a flat $60 credit per room, and we went over each day, but it was still well worth it -- they set the table nicely in the room, and the food was surprisingly good... my wife got the French toast all 3 days, and the steak on my steak and eggs had a good crust on it. Quality of the smoked salmon wasn't impressive but it was fine, no worse than basic Whole Foods salmon.

Housekeeping & turndown was provided promptly when requested and was very thorough. Buckets of ice, champagne flutes, and glasses were brought in minutes when we needed to entertain a couple times. Overall we got very good use out of the suite, and having it encouraged others to come to me rather than vice versa which was convenient.

The piano in the lobby is also in tune (it's a baby grand Yamaha, nothing extravagant but it's well kept). I must have spent 4 hours playing over the course of the week, 20 minutes here and there. The staff seemed to enjoy it and their generally affable nature, together with the solid hard product, makes me likely to return.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...88fd201a11.jpg
Room service breakfast

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7b41a3d566.jpg
Welcome amenity

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4b2670e6f8.jpg
Bedroom

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...19919a8916.jpg
Living room

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...26e6766082.jpg
Living room

platbrownguy Dec 4, 2021 7:54 am

I returned this week, booked a base room at the ABA rate and was proactively upgraded (first to a Premier room the day before, and then to a Metropolitan (junior) suite at check-in), no SNA required. No welcome amenity this time but the staff were excellent and they all appeared to remember me. Room service breakfast was again prompt to the minute.

This time I was on the second floor instead of 8, and I must say the shower pressure was INCREDIBLE. The best shower I've had since the St. Regis NY. That alone was worth the $100/night over wherever else I would have stayed.

ElevatorEnthusiast Dec 4, 2021 8:00 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 33783074)
This time I was on the second floor instead of 8, and I must say the shower pressure was INCREDIBLE. The best shower I've had since the St. Regis NY. That alone was worth the $100/night over wherever else I would have stayed.

And, I thought my shower on 8 was great! Can't imagine what 2 would give me - might wash my skin right off!

Boraxo Dec 4, 2021 6:58 pm

That's great news about the Plat room service breakfast. Maybe one of the few things we can appreciate from the pandemic. The restaurant was fine but too slow when I'm in a rush.
Seeing no recent comments I gather the streets are now clear and the hotel is back to normal access.
It is interesting how they are always selling "discounted" upgrades here (I have done this a few times) instead of giving them away - almost like Vegas but more pricey than the $20 trick.