Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by SPLP007
Has anyone stayed in 2019?-

how is the lounge ? at one time I had read that they had a great lounge after reading the last few remarks I have my doubts
Anyone stayed here recently?
We booked two rooms and only 1 room has titanium status so we will have to pay 100Euro per night for the 2nd room to gain access to club lounge. It is hard to have a family trip without everyone in the lounge IF half of the party are there...

Also, did everyone have to pay the 25Euro per night for rollaway bed IF we don’t actually need it for our 3 years old?

thanks
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by SPLP007
Has anyone stayed in 2019?-

how is the lounge ? at one time I had read that they had a great lounge after reading the last few remarks I have my doubts
I stayed there a few weeks ago. Nice property. The room was comfortable. I was given something called an upgrade but it was probably just something like an upgraded view. Certainly not a suite or a club floor room.

I was there on points/CC certs—I seemed like a good value given the rates and would stay again on the cert.. I would never pay the 275 Euro that they were asking for that weekend. Seemed high for a hotel that seemed to be practically empty. I very much enjoyed Salzburg.

Good location.

The lounge was a nice facility. The lounge breakfast was just okay and the eventing service was Very weak in my opinion—compared to your typical Marriott lounge in the USA (not a particularly high bar). Seemed weak for a Marriott property in the lounge department. I certainly wouldn’t want to pay extra for the lounge. The lounge was very quiet the weekend I was there.....I don’t think that I’ve seen a lounge that quiet in sometime.

i was offered upon checkin the choice of the 1000 points or breakfast in the restaurant. I wish I’d taken that as the lounge breakfast was uninspiring. Oh I had to call Marriott after the stay to actually get the 1000 points.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by Renard
I stayed there a few weeks ago. Nice property. The room was comfortable. I was given something called an upgrade but it was probably just something like an upgraded view. Certainly not a suite or a club floor room.

I was there on points/CC certs—I seemed like a good value given the rates and would stay again on the cert.. I would never pay the 275 Euro that they were asking for that weekend. Seemed high for a hotel that seemed to be practically empty. I very much enjoyed Salzburg.

Good location.

The lounge was a nice facility. The lounge breakfast was just okay and the eventing service was Very weak in my opinion—compared to your typical Marriott lounge in the USA (not a particularly high bar). Seemed weak for a Marriott property in the lounge department. I certainly wouldn’t want to pay extra for the lounge. The lounge was very quiet the weekend I was there.....I don’t think that I’ve seen a lounge that quiet in sometime.

i was offered upon checkin the choice of the 1000 points or breakfast in the restaurant. I wish I’d taken that as the lounge breakfast was uninspiring. Oh I had to call Marriott after the stay to actually get the 1000 points.
I read this review and I feel REALLY SAD!

I remember my stays in Sheraton Salzburg as a SPG Platinum, maybe 8 years ago.
I got upgrades to Etage 7 Club Lounge and its service was AMAZING in terms of service, food and selection of drinks: a huge spread for breakfast, lunch hours and happy hour (hot and cold food).
Downgrading a service like that is very depressing.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:51 am

thanks for the info,I now changed my plans
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Bonvoyed
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
I read this review and I feel REALLY SAD!

I remember my stays in Sheraton Salzburg as a SPG Platinum, maybe 8 years ago.
I got upgrades to Etage 7 Club Lounge and its service was AMAZING in terms of service, food and selection of drinks: a huge spread for breakfast, lunch hours and happy hour (hot and cold food).
Downgrading a service like that is very depressing.
That's disappointing to hear that they downgraded the lounge selections. That was one of the reasons that I applied for the SPG Business Card yesteryear.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:27 am

Thanks for your review.

They wanted 50Euro per person per night if I also want to include my in laws in the lounge experience and we will be going next summer. The rate is 670Euro a night so I will be using my reward points for both rooms. They said kids under 6 would still cost me 30Euro a night for the lounge but they can waive it for me. So basically I would be paying 100Euro for 2 adults and 2 kids under 6 for the lounge access since my status will only allow 2 adults into the lounge. Should I go for it?

Also, does anyone have info on the rollaway bed charge of 25Euro a night? If I don’t need the rollaway bed would I still need to pay for the 25Euro?

Does anyone have other suggestions for a hotel in Salzburg under Marriott using reward points if this wouldn’t be your first choice?

thank you!

Originally Posted by Renard

Good location.

Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:00 am

Does anyone know why the basic room is available for CASH booking but not rewad bookings at this hotel?

To make the story short, my husbad booked two rooms under his titanium status using his points but only 1 room will get access to lounge. So I finally made it to platinum with Marriott but one of the night isn‘t available anymore to book using points but only with cash. Now we are stuck after contacting the hotel AND titanium help line because no one can move one of my husband’s reservation to under me using my points. So only 1 room can have access to lounge and we are left with having to pay 100Euro a night for the 2nd room if we want lounge as well for 2nd room. What a mess. (this is for booking for end of Aug and I have been trying to sort this out since end of Jan)
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by musicscrip
Does anyone know why the basic room is available for CASH booking but not rewad bookings at this hotel?

To make the story short, my husbad booked two rooms under his titanium status using his points but only 1 room will get access to lounge. So I finally made it to platinum with Marriott but one of the night isn‘t available anymore to book using points but only with cash. Now we are stuck after contacting the hotel AND titanium help line because no one can move one of my husband’s reservation to under me using my points. So only 1 room can have access to lounge and we are left with having to pay 100Euro a night for the 2nd room if we want lounge as well for 2nd room. What a mess. (this is for booking for end of Aug and I have been trying to sort this out since end of Jan)
Are you sure they won’t allow a second room access? Perhaps officially not, although maybe at the time... I’ve found hotels in Europe much more relaxed in terms of benefits on a second room or even just the general policing of the lounge.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Are you sure they won’t allow a second room access? Perhaps officially not, although maybe at the time... I’ve found hotels in Europe much more relaxed in terms of benefits on a second room or even just the general policing of the lounge.
I contacted the hotel and explained the situation but no one was able to help me. I am platinum and my husband is titanium so we were hoping we would book 1 room per person using pt for our stay to get access to lounge. But the lowest room is available for cash only not for rewards anymore for our dates in end of Aug.

Anyone can help or had experienced this at this hotel? thanks
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:15 am

I think you may be fine! If both rooms are under the Titanium member and you can prove that one of the guests in the second room is themselves Platinum, I can’t see an issue
Old Jul 5, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Just had a very nice stay here - the staff were absolutely fantastic. The lounge is closed due to Covid, but there is breakfast in the restaurant. There were also no coffee makers in the room, but you got vouchers for free coffee/espresso/cappuccino from the bar. There were restrictions that only members of the same family/party should be on the elevator at the same time. Hotel seemed about 25% full. It was a beautiful weekend in Salzburg and things were not too crowded - a good number of German tourists and people from Hungary, Poland, Romania, etc.
unclepants likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Stayed here recently in the post corona virus / covid era.
I really enjoyed my stay.
My notes :

-At the time of my visit (July 2020) only a few floors were open and being used for guests. I was hoping to get an upgrade to a room with a balcony but reception told me the floor with the balcony rooms were closed. This is strange as they were selling balcony rooms online. Either way, I was still given a nice upgrade to a junior suite on the 5th floor.
-Breakfast is served in the restaurant, but there is no buffet. You can order items at no extra charge.
-The club lounge is closed but the hotel is kindly letting all guests with lounge access go to the "Taste it" Italian restaurant on the ground floor where you can get free drinks and cold or warm food in the afternoon and evening. The hours for warm food are a bit more limited. I really appreciated this, as many hotels with closed lounges are giving nothing to compensate.
-Windows DO open for fresh air in this hotel which is always a bonus.
-Staff and service was very good at this hotel.
-Parking garage costs 19 euro per day and is under the hotel.

General info:

-Getting to the old part of town is about a 20 minute walk. It's nice walk along the river, but if you have been walking all day, getting back later will be tiring. If you're tired or it's raining I reccomend public transport or a taxi. Taxi cost me just under 10 euro from the old town.
-Really reccomend visting the gardens at the "Schloss Mirabell" (Mirabell Palace) just behind the hotel. Really beautiful and great photo ops with the castle on the mountain in the background.
-For evening dining I reccomend the "IMLAUER Sky - Bar & Restaurant" which is just across the street from the hotel (1 minute walk away). They have a rooftop terrace on the top floor with tables outside, and if you're lucky you can get a table with a nice view of the castle while dining. Food is great too.

2 important tips for car drivers.

-Refueling your car is much cheaper in Austria than in the neighbouring countries of Swizterland, Italy or Germany, so I strongly reccomend getting gas/petrol before you leave Austria, if you are heading to ( or coming from) any of these 3 countries.

-In December 2019 the Austrian government designated some short sections of the motorways/highways as totally free so you do NOT have to buy a "vignette" (Highway tax sticker). This includes the A1 highway from the border at Walserberg in Germany all the way to the junction exit "Salzburg Nord" in Austria. When crossing the border from Germany at Walserberg, follow the signs for the airport and "Salzburg West" and keep driving. The correct highway exit for the Sheraton is "Salzburg mitte" which comes BEFORE "Salzburg Nord" This means you can travel in your car from the German border to this hotel (and back) using the motorway/highway without paying anything. However if you go further in Austria than "Salzburg Nord"" on the highway you have to pay. Also, if you make a mistake when crossing the border and get on the A10 going south to "Salzburg Sud" you also have to pay. Make sure you follow the signs closely.

More info on free use of motorways in Austria here:

https://www.asfinag.at/toll/vignette/

dcmike, jpdx, unclepants and 2 others like this.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Aug 4, 2020 at 4:07 am
Old Dec 25, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
The Sheraton Grand Salzburg recently reopened on December 17th after being closed during the lock down. We were upgraded to a Deluxe Etage7 King Room. Was told that there are no suites available because they haven’t been assigned for use due to the hotel recently reopening so that was disappointing but we enjoyed the Etage7 Club Lounge on the 7th floor during our two day stay.

The location was ideal for walking everywhere in Salzburg and very accessible to the Christmas markets (10-15 minute walk).
Old Feb 17, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
Originally Posted by pazza2000
I think you may be fine! If both rooms are under the Titanium member and you can prove that one of the guests in the second room is themselves Platinum, I can’t see an issue
Shouldn't platinum get access to the lounge anyway?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.