Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Sheraton Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Old May 11, 17, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by singtx View Post
After reviewing the thread and other reviews...what is your take on this hotel for a family with a 3-year old boy (well traveled) for 3 nights?

Need a stroller or will the attractions be walkable? looking at google maps...looks walkable.
Can't speak to the what a 3 year old would like aspect, but I would say everything is very accessible by walking. You can easily get to the bridges to the old city within a few blocks (and by not cutting through the Mirabell Gardens, avoid stairs). From there everything in the old city is very compact.

I'll say, with luggage, it was a bit of a pain to get to the hotel from the main train station due to the volume of people and bikes, but it's not really work taking a taxi or anything.

I'm not a huge fan of the city cards when traveling - they tend to be overpriced if you're not cramming everything possible into a day and we tend to be more relaxed travelers - but the Salzburg Card was so worth it. They sell them at the hotel (and room charge them). It's very reasonably priced compared to other cities and has the standard free admissions and transit access - with skip the line at major sites, which can be a great benefit in the high season, I'd guess especially so with a kid.
Old May 12, 17, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
After reviewing the thread and other reviews...what is your take on this hotel for a family with a 3-year old boy (well traveled) for 3 nights?

Need a stroller or will the attractions be walkable? looking at google maps...looks walkable.

Any suggestions on attractions other people thought leaned kid friendly?

Thanks!
We loved our stay, and an easy walk to the Old City and Fort, I don't see a problem having a kid. We are going back to Salzburg this Sept and plan on staying here again.
Old Jun 5, 17, 7:13 pm

Location: UA 1K, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat with Ambassador
Platinum breakfast option in restaurant?

Does this hotel allow you to have the full breakfast buffet in their main restaurant instead of the Club Lounge? Or are the food offerings basically identical?
Old Jun 5, 17, 11:45 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by YVR guy View Post
Does this hotel allow you to have the full breakfast buffet in their main restaurant instead of the Club Lounge? Or are the food offerings basically identical?
Yes but not for free, normally the 500 platinum welcome points are needed. While the breakfast in the lounge has a wide range for lounges the range in the restaurant is wider. More space more choice...
Old Jun 6, 17, 4:27 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, MB Titanium, WoHyatt Disc, IHG Spire Amb, HHonors Diamond
I sent a similar question last week directly to the hotel. They told me it's Lounge only. No choice of breakfast in restaurant as Platinum amenity.
Old Jun 6, 17, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by shonanroger View Post
I sent a similar question last week directly to the hotel. They told me it's Lounge only. No choice of breakfast in restaurant as Platinum amenity.
The Lounge has hot foods when we were there they made omelets for use and was told we could have our eggs anyway we wanted them. I liked the lounge over the restaurant.
Old Jul 2, 17, 7:34 am

I am here right now, taking advantage of the literal Red Bull bar in the lounge. They have every flavor of red bull (8-10 varieties) in stock in the fridge for free. I don't believe I've ever seen that... anywhere. Maybe "MTV Cribs".

Enjoying a late complementary lunch of a cheese plate and dessert, while my wife is eating some mushroom and veggie canapés.

The lobby and rooms are somewhat dated but obviously were opulent in their initial glory.

As a plat, upgraded to a garden view suite.
Old Jul 28, 17, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt

Any suggestions on attractions other people thought leaned kid friendly?

Thanks!
We took the train from Munich to Salzburg and a 5 euro cab ride later we were at the hotel. Early check-in was provided and the FD staff was fantastic. Our son was given a teddy bear. Lobby was nice (old, but still nice).

Room was nice, no upgrade, but one wasn't expected. Everything was VERY walkable from the hotel (we even found shortcuts!). Many thanks to the FTers who commented on my initial post.

We did a lot of sight seeing and got to the Augustiner Braustubl beer garden where our son had a blast playing with his garden toys and we enjoyed a few beers and food.

We were disappointed in the "tent market" that spanned bridge to bridge...for us, it was a bunch of nonsense.

Café am Kai was really neat (lots of dessert and surprisingly good service).

Did the salt mine tour (our son had a blast - two slides, a train ride, and quick boat ride) and took the bus out to Berchtesgaden.

Sundays are dead...NOTHING is open.
Old Sep 2, 17, 11:28 am

Programs: Alaska MVP75K, United 1K, (New) Marriott Plat Prem
Labor Day Weekend in Salzburg (1-4 Sep 17)

We made a train trip from Stuttgart to Salzburg for the (American) holiday weekend. The Sheraton Grand Salzburg is very conveniently located close to the Hauptbahnhof and the Mirabell Gardens.

As an SPG Platinum, we were upgraded to a Junior Suite on floor 2 (The Club Floor). It's a nice room with a decently sized seating area and a king size bed (although the reservation said queen size). The bathroom has two sinks, a separate toilet area, a separate shower, and a tub. All and all a nice upgrade considering I reserved the standard room.

The Sheraton Club is on floor 7 and is quite large. Breakfast had cold cuts and bread, plus cereal, muesli, yogurt, and plenty of hot and cold drinks. A staff member came around and took our order for eggs (any style), which was a nice touch. As a Platinum, there was no option for a full restaurant breakfast on the ground floor. My Platinum choice was 500 points, a fruit basket, or drink discounts at the bar. (I took the points, of course!)

So far we've had tea and dessert at the lounge, and it's always staffed (though, they are usually in the back rather than staffing the front desk) and always has snacks out. Tea time has some great bundt cakes.

The hotel doesn't seem very full as the lounge has been nearly empty both days, but then again, maybe most people have been packing the hotel restaurant, and we just haven't seen them.

Husband tried the sauna, and he reports it's small, coed, but still nice. It's on the same floor as the Club level (2nd); the gym is on this floor as well.

It's an older property, but it's comfortable enough for us. We've opted for the "Make a Green Choice" at checkin, but the staff still comes around for Turn-Down service. Should we need anything, I'm confident the staff would provide a towel or two if requested.

Oddly, there are very few English channels on the hotel cable. A few news channels but no BBC1 or Nat-Geo or other English language option. Although, we did get through a few episodes of The Big Bang Theory in German and still found them hilarious

The location for sightseeing, the Sheraton Club, and the upgrade to a suite makes the Sheraton Grand Salzburg a nice stop for a European weekend.
Old Sep 2, 17, 11:30 am

Programs: Alaska MVP75K, United 1K, (New) Marriott Plat Prem
Sheraton Grand Salzburg

Adding Sheraton Club brochure pictures.
Attached Images    
Old Sep 2, 17, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by osotoc View Post
As an SPG Platinum, we were upgraded to a Junior Suite on floor 2 (The Club Floor). It's a nice room with a decently sized seating area and a king size bed (although the reservation said queen size). The bathroom has two sinks, a separate toilet area, a separate shower, and a tub. All and all a nice upgrade considering I reserved the standard room.
As soon as I read this, I knew you came from the Marriott side! I've never booked anything but the most basic room on my 100+ nights per year with SPG and have had some amazing upgrades.

It's an older property, but it's comfortable enough for us. We've opted for the "Make a Green Choice" at checkin, but the staff still comes around for Turn-Down service. Should we need anything, I'm confident the staff would provide a towel or two if requested.
You can order whatever you want from housekeeping even if you chose Green Choice. Just means that they don't come in to clean your room. If you need towels, shampoo, water, whatever, you can ask for it. Does Marriott not allow you to request these items when you choose Green Choice?

I was at this hotel last year and loved it too.
Old May 29, 18, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, AA Gold, Etihad Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
While a little past its prime decor wise the Sheraton is a fine place to stay in Salzburg. Located within walking distance to the train station, it is a pleasant walk across the river to the main old-town tourist area.

My points booking was upgraded to a Junior Suite a few days before arrival and I was given early check in with no issues. There was a city tourist tax of 3 euro per day on top of the points paid for room rate. The jr. suite was one large room with views over the Mirabelle Gardens. A tv on the central desk (room divider) swiveled to be viewed from both areas. I will say the photo online now looks like an updated version (neutral white tones) rather than the classic red & gold that mine was furnished in, so maybe cosmetic upgrades are in progress. The living room had a very comfortable couch and two chairs. The bathroom had separate shower & tub, 2 sinks and a separate WC. The entire room was spotless, MAGC is available and as far as I could tell no servicing was done on these days.

The club lounge on 7th floor was ok, but apart from the wide selection of red bull flavors (?) nothing really to write home about. During my stay (May 2018) it was not open for breakfast so I was given full buffet in lobby restaurant (that was quite nice). The evening happy hour had 3 hot items, some sad wilted looking lettuce / accompaniments as well as a cheese plate, there were also some little nibbles like nuts & dried fruits. The hot items rotated slightly but nearly all of them were deep fried and repeated frequently (so many chicken fingers). There was a full self-serve bar area and fridge that contained a wide selection of beverages in addition to the famous red bulls. The tables on the outside terrace would be nice but were completely covered in pollen and had not been wiped down in ages though.

The staff were all very friendly and accommodating, one front desk agent really went the extra mile to track down some unique souvenirs for me. I rented a car one day to visit the Grossglockner High Alpine Road (fully recommend) and parking with in and out privileges was 19 euro per night in self-park garage below hotel.

Overall this is a fine place to stay and a relative value for points when rates are high. The Goldener Hirsch was sold out most of my stay but I would probably give that a try should I return to Salzburg again.
Old May 29, 18, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Thanks for this post. I was not overwhelmed with the Sheraton Salzburg, but I still remember it fondly. It is a very solid property in Europe. Personally, I'm non-plussed by US Sheratons but have had very good experiences in Europe (London, Salzburg, Prague, etc.).
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old May 30, 18, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dc2005b View Post
While a little past its prime decor wise the Sheraton is a fine place to stay in Salzburg. Located within walking distance to the train station, it is a pleasant walk across the river to the main old-town tourist area.

My points booking was upgraded to a Junior Suite a few days before arrival and I was given early check in with no issues. There was a city tourist tax of 3 euro per day on top of the points paid for room rate. The jr. suite was one large room with views over the Mirabelle Gardens. A tv on the central desk (room divider) swiveled to be viewed from both areas. I will say the photo online now looks like an updated version (neutral white tones) rather than the classic red & gold that mine was furnished in, so maybe cosmetic upgrades are in progress. The living room had a very comfortable couch and two chairs. The bathroom had separate shower & tub, 2 sinks and a separate WC. The entire room was spotless, MAGC is available and as far as I could tell no servicing was done on these days.

The club lounge on 7th floor was ok, but apart from the wide selection of red bull flavors (?) nothing really to write home about. During my stay (May 2018) it was not open for breakfast so I was given full buffet in lobby restaurant (that was quite nice). The evening happy hour had 3 hot items, some sad wilted looking lettuce / accompaniments as well as a cheese plate, there were also some little nibbles like nuts & dried fruits. The hot items rotated slightly but nearly all of them were deep fried and repeated frequently (so many chicken fingers). There was a full self-serve bar area and fridge that contained a wide selection of beverages in addition to the famous red bulls. The tables on the outside terrace would be nice but were completely covered in pollen and had not been wiped down in ages though.

The staff were all very friendly and accommodating, one front desk agent really went the extra mile to track down some unique souvenirs for me. I rented a car one day to visit the Grossglockner High Alpine Road (fully recommend) and parking with in and out privileges was 19 euro per night in self-park garage below hotel.

Overall this is a fine place to stay and a relative value for points when rates are high. The Goldener Hirsch was sold out most of my stay but I would probably give that a try should I return to Salzburg again.
Granted we were there a few years, the lounge I thought was great, breakfast had a mix of cold and hot choices as well as made to order eggs, the evening cocktail time had great wines and champagnes and very good appetizers.