Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:29 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
I've uploaded some pictures (room, lounge, wellness area) from my stay mentioned above. As already mentioned, the lounge offers excellent food and great view towards the castle.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:59 am

How far away is the Xmas market from the hotel?
Old Nov 23, 2009, 5:42 pm

Programs: AF Plat, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by WaltherVonDerVogelweide
How far away is the Xmas market from the hotel?
There is one literally steps away at Mirabellplatz.

The one in the old town is only a five or ten minute walk away across the river.

If I remember correctly there is a third, much smaller market in a courtyard behind the shops that are directly across the street from the old town side of the pedestrian bridge that starts near the Marionette Theatre. Again, less then a ten minute walk.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 6:15 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Thumbs up

Nice four day stay on cash & points until right now.

Great Lounge - in my opinion on of the best in Europe, if not the best - called Etage 7, on the seventh floor. Very good food and beverage.

^^^

Last edited by Forstbetrieb; Feb 10, 2010 at 6:26 am
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Well, as I was debating whether to stay at the Sheraton Salzburg or the Jagdhof for the past couple of days, I noticed that the Jagdhof is no longer available during my time in Salzburg this fall, so I went ahead and booked a couple rooms on C+P at the Sheraton Salzburg.

For those who have visited this property,

1. Is there any reasonable nearby parking for those who don't want to pay the 17.50 EUR per night that the hotel advertises?

2. Since it would not give me the option when reserving the room, will I have much trouble getting a guaranteed non-smoking room?

3. Based on an older post in this thread, is it true that breakfast is not included in the rate if not mentioned?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
Well, as I was debating whether to stay at the Sheraton Salzburg or the Jagdhof for the past couple of days, I noticed that the Jagdhof is no longer available during my time in Salzburg this fall, so I went ahead and booked a couple rooms on C+P at the Sheraton Salzburg.

For those who have visited this property,

1. Is there any reasonable nearby parking for those who don't want to pay the 17.50 EUR per night that the hotel advertises?

2. Since it would not give me the option when reserving the room, will I have much trouble getting a guaranteed non-smoking room?

3. Based on an older post in this thread, is it true that breakfast is not included in the rate if not mentioned?
You are not platinum, right?

If breakfast not is in your rate, then it is extra.

Parking: When will you stay there? Weekend or not is the question...

Non smoking should not be a problem, may you send an email to the hotel to fix this.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
You are not platinum, right?

If breakfast not is in your rate, then it is extra.

Parking: When will you stay there? Weekend or not is the question...

Non smoking should not be a problem, may you send an email to the hotel to fix this.
Just a next-to-bottom-of-the-barrel Preferred Guest Plus.

Our stay is from Friday evening to Tuesday morning.

I went ahead and sent the hotel an e-mail asking to be assigned non-smoking rooms.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:59 pm

In the street you can park with Parkscheinautomat.
monday to friday: 9 - 19
saturday: 9 - 16
on payment

rest free
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Staying here for a day during my Oktoberfest trip. Had a SPG issue with another hotel and talked to SPG, at the end of the call the woman asked if there was anything else she could do, I asked her to see if she could confirm me an upgrade at this hotel. Hours later I'm now in a King Suite on my reservation. Will report back next week on the rest of the stay.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by nevansm
Staying here for a day during my Oktoberfest trip. Had a SPG issue with another hotel and talked to SPG, at the end of the call the woman asked if there was anything else she could do, I asked her to see if she could confirm me an upgrade at this hotel. Hours later I'm now in a King Suite on my reservation. Will report back next week on the rest of the stay.
Stayed there in August for two nights. Good location (not as good as the Goldener Hirsch but still close to the Old Town at Mirabell). One of the best lounges in the systems called Etage7 (which was remarkably quiet even though it was music festival time). You will really enjoy it.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
How easy is it to review this hotel, just give me a list and I’ll tick every box as outstanding. Booked 3 nights, early September, Executive room with garden view, using BRG. Took the 10% off and this brought the rate to less than 100 EU per night, tax included. After the stay I actually felt a bit guilty about all we got for the money, bad Flyertalker. IMO this hotel sets a new standard for Sheraton, our experience was just that good. I’ve bolded a few words in each section for those of you who may find my reviews too long.

Front desk: Flawless. Friendly staff, Platinum recognised, benefits explained, amenity choice checked, done and dusted without any prompting. Only needed 2.30pm check out, immediately granted. Internet charge removed at check out. 500 points posted promptly.

Any request was followed up promptly and with a genuine smile. We found the same excellent service and friendly attitude throughout the hotel.

Room: We were upgraded to a one room Junior Suite with garden view. Upon entering, there was a long, fairly wide hallway with multiple wall hooks for coats and the wardrobe. Then there was another door into to the room itself. By closing this door, the room was so quiet, add the décor and it just didn’t feel like a hotel room at all. With the 2 large windows overlooking Mirabell Gardens, it felt more like a secluded, pretty country cabin. It just seemed to fit perfectly with it’s setting and the character of Salzburg. Whoever designed and decorated this room got it just right, we would have been happy to stay a month.

The bathroom was large with separate bath and shower. It sparkled, everything was so new and clean. There was an abundance of towels, something I find rare in any hotel these days. I expect this hotel has many more leisure guests than business and the room reflected that. The lounge suite was the most comfortable I’ve found in a hotel, everything needed for an extended stay was there, including a coffee maker and iron/board (boy I missed them in Europe).

The only glitch I found was the ethernet input. I couldn’t find a cable in the room so used my own. The fitting was at the base of the wall and under the desk so it was awkward to plug in and much of the length of the cable was used reaching the top of the desk. My cable isn’t that short but it wouldn’t reach the desk chair. As we only used the internet for minutes each day I didn’t contact the desk for a solution, but a fitting level with the desk would have been much better. This was surprising because we found attention to detail everywhere at this hotel. There were so many small features we loved, too many to talk about here, but added together they made our stay really special.

Club Lounge: Overall the best I’ve experienced so far. Food being available all day was so convenient. If we wanted to head out early and skip breakfast, there was still plenty to eat when we returned. If we wanted a break mid afternoon and were feeling peckish, no problems.

There was plenty of choice. A wide range of cold offerings, several different types of cheeses and bread rolls, cakes and 3 hot choices. The hot choices changed during the day so it didn’t become boring if you visited a few times on the same day . Many were quite substantial, for example, lasagne and chicken schnitzel. Best of all, everything tasted fresh and went way beyond a few canapes.

For those wanting info on the range of alcohol, I’m not going to be much help. Any more than one glass of wine and all I want to do is sleep, so I avoid it. For this reason, if club access was not a Platinum benefit, in most hotels I wouldn’t pay for it. This lounge is one of the rare exceptions. I can tell you that I saw beer on tap and there looked to be a wide range of other drinks available. I think there were restricted hours for alcohol but how strictly this was enforced, I don’t know.
The lounge looks new, service great, the terraces were ideal for enjoying a sunny day.

Location: I’m sure this opinion is influenced by the fact we had beautiful ,sunny but mild, weather. I haven’t stayed at the Goldener Hirsch, however we did see it’s location on our wanderings and we preferred the less crowded and quieter Mirabell garden location of the Sheraton.

The various tour buses leave from Mirabellplatz, only a few minutes walk from the hotel. We bought the 24 hour ticket for the Hop On Hop Off bus, we were pleased to find it was 24hrs and not one day. We used it the afternoon we arrived and again the following morning. Getting to Old Town was a pleasant, mostly flat walk through the beautiful gardens.

Would I stay again? Yes. If we return to Salzburg, based on this stay, I wouldn’t bother trying another hotel. That is extremely unusual for me.
A few pics:http://www.flickr.com/photos/3063128...320920/detail/
Old Oct 18, 2010, 2:38 pm

I had a slightly different experience at this hotel:

Room Upgrade
Room upgrade was only OK with a claim of lack of availability which was hard to believe given that the hotel felt empty, it was a monday night in October and the stay was for one night (who knows for sure though)

Lounge
Great lounge....at least that is what it looked like except the enourmous group that was holding a meeting of some sort inside, filling the space completely and including a someone speaking to the group in front of an easal as if they rented out the space. Feeling bad that maybe I had interupted a private event that had rented the lounge I went downstairs and asked and they said, no the lounge was not booked for a private event. They called up and said the gentleman was only going to speak to the overflowing room for another couple of minutes and to go up. After the uncomfortable walk across the room with people audibily asking who we were shoved onto the far balcony without a view and told not to touch their horderves. I have no idea why you would allow a group to rent your club lounge for an event like this or let a group (assuming they didn't rent it) take over your club lounge to the exclusion of other paying guests. My experience is that you force such groups to rent a conference room. I am a platinum and pick hotels in part on having access to such facilities and was annoyed but would have been insanely p-off if I have booked a club floor room. The hotel just shrugged their shoulders collectively on this issue.

Late Check out
Maybe I am in the wrong on this, but here goes. Called down for late checkout, mentioned I was a platinum, and told their was no availability for late checkout. Told them again that I was a platinum and they said it didn;t matter and it was at their discretion. I said this was only at resorts and conference hotels and they said that was wrong and that they would call me back. The call back from the manager said that there is a conference center next to the hotel. When I asked if it was part of the hotel, they said no. I checked the website of the hotel and no mention of being a conference center hotel. Now, if they had said "sorry we are a conference center hotel and that benefit is therefore subject to availability" immediately and the name of the hotel included the word "conference" and the staff had not told me that at every starwood, late checkout is always subject to availability, I may have just left it alone. As it was, combined with the lounge thing, it just put me over the top. They eventually relented. (FYI-I searched here and found this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14407819-post514.html from the Starwood Lurker, where he says "If a hotel does not have the words "conference center" in some form or fashion in the officially-recognized name of the hotel, then it is not a conference center where this benefit is subject to availability.")

All in all, I probably will pick somewhere else to stay in Salzburg. I pick starwoods, usually at more cost than other comperably situated hotels, becuase of these little benefits of being platinum. Having to wrestle with the hotel on vacation to get what is promised, just is too much.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Wow. That was the polar opposite of my experience here.

As for the late check-out thing, I usually hang up, call up Starwood Customer Service, and let the hotel explain to Starwood corporate. It's usually resolved in minutes...
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Will be here for one night on 22th December to visit the famous Christkindlmarkt. Has anyone visited it? Is it close to the hotel?

(will be at Sheraton Jagdhof from 23-27th^)
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Originally Posted by thomas199023
Will be here for one night on 22th December to visit the famous Christkindlmarkt. Has anyone visited it? Is it close to the hotel?

(will be at Sheraton Jagdhof from 23-27th^)
There are several Xmas markets. One is near Schloss Mirabell which is very close to the Sheraton. The other markets are on the other side of the Salzach - all in walking distance (10min).
There is also a market at Schloss Hellbrunn which can be reached by bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.