Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Accor Dia, Mar. Tit, QR Plat, SQ Gold
This is interesting.

It seems there’s two club lounges in this Sheraton Grand.

1 for the lowly Platinums/Titaniums on the lobby floor, and another ETAGE7 lounge on the 7th floor for Ambassador members and/or people that book the rooms that explicitly provide ETAGE7 lounge access.

The plat/titanium lounge is perfectly fine: 11AM - 10PM of free flow Prosecco, beer on tap, wines, 3 kinds of redbull, but it was unmanned. I was very happy with the offerings, although it doesn’t seem like anyone comes in and cleans anything. I was also upgraded to a junior suite on the 3rd floor, which is perfectly adequate and very homely, but doesn’t come with the 7th floor lounge access.

as a lowly titanium, I was not granted access to the presumably much better lounge, so I’m unable to comment further.

Interestingly, some of the suites in the suite night award pool do allow this 7th floor lounge access, so it may be a good opportunity to burn some SNAs. Would be interested to see any updated pictures of the lounge offerings!
iluvdoco likes this.

Last edited by McChicken; Jun 26, 2022 at 10:51 am
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:51 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by McChicken
as a lowly titanium, I was not granted access to the presumably much better lounge, so I’m unable to comment further.

Interestingly, some of the suites in the suite night award pool do allow this 7th floor lounge access, so it may be a good opportunity to burn some SNAs. Would be interested to see any updated pictures of the lounge offerings!
There's a lot of discussion on German forum VFT regarding access to the Platinum+ lounge vs. ETAGE7. Some people say that Ambassadors will always get ETAGE7 access, but it doesn't seem to be 100%. Being a repeat guest may play a role, as does occupancy and of course arguing at check-in (some of those Germans must be a joy to deal with). In any case, as you say, what seems to guarantee ETAGE7 access is using SNA for a room type that has lounge access in the description.

I just redeemed an expiring free night and SNA for a quick trip. Selected junior suite and two types of Sky Suites. SNA cleared for the lesser one, with street-view, not park. Pretty decent suite on the 7th floor with a small balcony, overlooking the rooftops of Salzburg. Slept quite well, although the blinds didn't block the light completely, so woke up early. Nice welcome gift and turndown service, overall pretty much a pre-Covid experience. A few pictures of the suite:

Best welcome amenity I've had since the start of Covid. Judging from the leftovers in the hallway, some (repeat? full-fare paying?) guests additionally receive a full bouquet and sparkling wine.

The ETAGE7 club lounge is rather nice, a well-appointed space with a pleasant outside area that overlooks a park. Certainly one of the best lounges in Europe; quite good even by pre-Covid Asian standards. Open from 11am to 11pm, and small snacks and cakes/desserts were out all day. There's a dinner period (didn't catch the times) with three hot items. Beer, wine, sparkling wine, three kinds of of Red Bull, lots of soft drinks available all day, but no hard liquor to speak of. Some pictures:

My card was not coded for the Platinum+ lounge, so can't compare. Judging from the pics above, it's a similar drinks selection. Breakfast was served in the restaurant, full buffet, egg dishes etc on demand, good rolls and pastries, freshly cut fruit -- quite a bit better than the industrial garbage many European Bonvoy properties dish out these days.

Overall, an excellent use of an SNA. Location is fine, short walk from the main station and pleasant stroll along the river or through Mirabell gardens to downtown Salzburg. Wouldn't hesitate to return.
EHAM1 and iluvdoco like this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
We had a fantastic stay here last week of August. I have to say that this is one of the better Marriott hotels we stayed at - especially it being Sheraton rather than something higher end. Applied the certificates and we were upgraded to similar room to the one above at 7th floor. The ETAGE7 lounge was awesome reminding me of good Asian lounges with slightly smaller selection but better booze. I have not seen a real Champagne in a longe for a while but here they offered two types. We never ate in restaurants b/c we got full for lunch and dinner in the lounge - food was of good quality and the lounge was never crowded. I don't recall more than 4-5 rooms at one time. One puzzling thing was that nobody in the lounge was checking who was coming in or out and the doors were wide open. Perhaps the key cards are coded in a way that only 6-7th floor rooms can get to the 7th floor but it felt a bit weird. Breakfast was in the main restaurant and it was a proper spread. Did not need late check out but it was pro-actively offer. Location suited our needs given that we were in and out from Munich.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by outgoing
this is one of the better Marriott hotels we stayed at - especially it being Sheraton rather than something higher end.
It has always been one of the fancier Sheratons. It was in The Luxury Collection for a while when it first started in the 90s, as the high-end division of Sheraton.
outgoing likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Don't forget, it ist a Sheraton Grand!

For me the Etage7 was the best starwood lounge in Europe. There was always real champagne available. Mumm Gordon Rouge was the standard. Since I wasn't there since years I could not comment the degrease with marriott...
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 12:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Was hoping to stay this property again (first stayed in 2013), but the rates are insane. There's a brand new Tribute Portfolio that opened, so I'll take one for the team and stay there and post a review. Hard work!
Old Dec 13, 2022, 3:28 pm
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
I am considering staying that the Mayburg Salzburg also on the 26th. Let us see who writes the review first.

Strangely the cash rates between the hotels diverge greatly, but the points rates are about the same (at least for a 5 night stay).
Old Apr 18, 2023, 8:45 am

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
Almost Bonvoyed…

I checked in to the Sheraton Grand in Salzburg today, and was assigned a “Club” room. The room overview and the detailed room description both prominently tout this room type as having access to the Etage 7 lounge.

When my key card wouldn’t take me to the 7th floor, I asked at the front desk if the 7th floor lounge was open. “Yes, I’m sorry, can I check your key, please?”

The rep came back to say that my room type is not eligible for the 7th floor - apparently that is the Ambassador Lounge (and I’m only a lowly Platinum for Life). When I showed him my reservation which - in several places - very clearly states my room type is eligible for the Etage 7 Lounge, he said, “I knew you were going to show me that. There’s an issue in the interface” (? - not sure what that means) “and that room type doesn’t have access.”

He tried to direct me to a different (Sheraton Club) lounge until I pointed out this was false advertising, and not what I had paid for according to Bonvoy’s own and VERY clear description for the room.

At that point he relented and said he would give me access. Completely unnecessary runaround, BS and attempt at diversion. If - somehow - it’s wrong in your system or in the data you’re getting from HQ, fix it.

All I expected was what I was told I would get.

Last edited by Red L; Apr 18, 2023 at 9:04 am
Old Apr 18, 2023, 8:54 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Red L
I checked in to the Sheraton Grand in Salzburg today, and was assigned a “Club” room. The room overview and the detailed room description touts this room type as having access to the Etage 7 lounge.

When my key card wouldn’t take me to the 7th floor, I asked at the front desk if the 7th floor lounge was open. “Yes, I’m sorry, can I check your key, please?”

The rep came back to say that my room type is not eligible for the 7th floor - apparently that is the Ambassador Lounge (and I’m only a lowly Platinum for Life). When I showed him my reservation which - in several places - very clearly states my room type is eligible for the Etage 7 Lounge, he said, “I knew you were going to show me that. There’s an issue in the interface” (? - not sure what that means) “and that room type doesn’t have access.”

He tried to direct me to a different (Sheraton Club) lounge until I pointed out this was false advertising, and not what I had paid for according to Bonvoy’s own and VERY clear description for the room.

At that point he relented and said he would give me access. Completely unnecessary runaround, BS and attempt at diversion. If - somehow - it’s wrong in your system or in the data you’re getting from HQ, fix it.

Hi Red L,

we would like to follow up on your experience, please send us an email with your reservation details & your feedback to [email protected].
Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:24 am

Location: Seattle, WA & Red Lodge, MT (USA) and Cumbria, England
Programs: AA Platinum for Life, AS MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond
One other note, after reading earlier comments:

There is definitely no champagne in the Etage 7 lounge. Just an Austrian sparkling wine.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, LH SEN
Originally Posted by Red L
I checked in to the Sheraton Grand in Salzburg today, and was assigned a “Club” room. The room overview and the detailed room description both prominently tout this room type as having access to the Etage 7 lounge.

What a super annoying experience. First they have this strange "two-lounge-system" and then, even if you explicitly book the ETAGE7-room, they don't let you in...

I was considering booking there a few times (my last stay was certainly more than 10 years ago, when it was a great place) but this lounge issue kept me from doing so. I wish they would at least very clearly communicate in advance who - according to status or room type - has access to which of their two lounges.
Old May 8, 2023, 6:33 am

Stayed here last October, paid with a gift card.

Hotel refused to credit the stay and claims that payments with a gift cards do not qualify for points.

Amazing management.
Old May 8, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
That’s bs of them. Call or email and deal w them instead.
Old May 8, 2023, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Yunnnn

Hotel refused to credit the stay and claims that payments with a gift cards do not qualify for points.

Amazing management.
Such nonsense, especially since they don't have to pay the credit card fees! They should be grateful to you.
Old May 8, 2023, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Yunnnn

Amazing management.
If you didn't get your stay credit nor points, consider working with one of the Lurkers ( Marriott Bonvoy Lurker , Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II , Marriott Bonvoy Lurker III )

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.