Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You should also watch out for hotels where the elite room would get lounge breakfasts while occupants of the room on the breakfast rate would have breakfast in the restaurant, although you could pick restaurant breakfast as your elite arrival emenity if applicable.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
SNIP and ping pong shows in Patpong.
Come on, even parents like a good competitive sports demonstration on occasion.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The SGS is ideal for a first visit to Bangkok as you have the food court on the top(ish) floor of Century 21 which is accessible directly from the hotel.
Plus Soi Cowboy is right across the street if the parents are country and western fans.
Originally Posted by ftrichard
IWilling to be corrected about this if there's a wonderful little street behind the hotel I don't know about.
There definitely is not.
EuropeanPete and ftrichard like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Otherwise, SGS is on Sukhumvit so it's going to be more lively immediately outside the front door.
The "front door," or main entrance of the hotel into the lobby, is one level up from the street. Walk out the main entrance and you're on an elevated walkway that goes to Terminal 21 and the Skytrain public transportation. In my stays at SGS (I have a little over 160), the only "liveliness" I've ever seen in front of the hotel at the street level is lots of people walking by on the sidewalk. Additionally, a security guard is stationed at the street-level entrance to the hotel.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
SGS doesn't have "lively" Aspects just outside the entrances. Westin does, as does the Sofitel. In those two can't escape it. But SGS I've never noticed
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:30 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by SHLTP
SGS doesn't have "lively" Aspects just outside the entrances. Westin does, as does the Sofitel. In those two can't escape it. But SGS I've never noticed
Agreed.

Also, Soi Cowboy isn’t across the street.

The Westin is across the street. Terminal 21 is catty corner and accessible from the bridge at lobby level. Time Square next door has a great HK restaurant called Jasmine.

Your parents will love it. St Regis will require more of a schlep.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Also, Soi Cowboy isn’t across the street.
It's across the street from Terminal 21, which is what I was referring to.

If the parents prefer a quieter, more formal atmosphere, and/or want a rooftop pool with a view, they might prefer StR.

I will say though the more I visit Bangkok, the more I appreciate SGS location.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's across the street from Terminal 21, which is what I was referring to.
But it isn’t across the street from Terminal 21 either.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
SGS is about a 8-10 minute walk to Soi Cowboy. cowboy is so far away from SGS and not seen from SGS that it won't disrupt people who don't want to see that type of lively action nor is it so far at you can easily get to it to see the sites. SGS is convenient if you do want to go there.

A couple years ago I stayed with family at SGS that didn't want to see that kind of stuff (had children) but was close enough to take my MIL to Cowboy who wanted to see what it was like.

in other words, SGS is a perfect location.

I don't love STR location. For me PA better located
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:02 am

But it isn’t across the street from Terminal 21 either.
Yes, it absolutely is. Directly across Asok Montri Road. Check a map.

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I don't love STR location.
StR location has its advantages. It's very close to Lumphini and has direct BTS link only one very quick stop from Siam.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, it absolutely is. Directly across Asok Montri Road. Check a map.
So according to the map, Terminal 21 doesn’t border Ashok Montri. There are a number of buildings between it and Asok Montri.

What I did learn new was that when you zoom in on T21 you can select a floor on the left and see the map of that specific floor. Rly cool!

Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:33 am

What I did learn new was that when you zoom in on T21 you can select a floor on the left and see the map of that specific floor. Rly cool!

Google Maps has that feature for many big malls in bigger cities, but not all of them. Definitely a really cool feature. Terminal 21 is my favorite mall to waste time in, so many little shops to walk through and really nice views from all the escalators, especially the long one leading up to the Tim Ho Wan.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
As Hyatt Globalist you can book a room for your parents with points and they will have breakfast in Grand Club or restaurant as Guest of Honor.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
Google Maps has that feature for many big malls in bigger cities, but not all of them. Definitely a really cool feature. Terminal 21 is my favorite mall to waste time in, so many little shops to walk through and really nice views from all the escalators, especially the long one leading up to the Tim Ho Wan.
Terminal 21 is just another mall, I much prefer patpong market and the surrounding area with a whole lot more character. For malls I would visit MBK about 5 times more often than Terminal 21 even if I am staying in that area.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
I've got about a 10 hour, overnight layover coming up. Land around 945pm and depart around 815am the next morning. I don't much care about breakfast in the morning as we'll be leaving for the airport about 530am or so. I'll be taking the train into the city but will have to grab a taxi or car to return in the morning.

I'm Titanium so don't care too much about about lounge/breakfast options for this stay. Wouldn't mind an upgrade but looking for the best property, close to a SkyTrain station and will get a solid night sleep. Sounds like Sheraton Grand is a solid option, any other recommendations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.