Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:25 am

@Kalboz
Vol-au-vents.
This place looks nice. Exactly how far down Soi 22 is it? Walking distance to Asoke BTS? Do they have a tuk-tuk service to the station?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:08 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by paolo64
@Kalboz
Vol-au-vents.
This place looks nice. Exactly how far down Soi 22 is it? Walking distance to Asoke BTS? Do they have a tuk-tuk service to the station?
LOL, you got me! Yes, Vol-au-vents

Indeed, the place is very nice and the giant M-Club is well stocked with food and drinks all day. Four iMac computers with huge screens in the lounge for all to use. The property is 300 meters down the soi. Short cut walking distance to Phrom Phong BTS Station is about 10 minutes through the Benjasiri Park and they have a regular shuttle that departs every 30 minutes to BTS station through the Emporium. Phrom Phong BTS Station is the closest station to the hotel while Asok is just under 15-minutes walk away.

Tuk-tuk shuttle to Phrom Phong BTS Station departs every 30 minutes.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Emmental, Roquefort, and Camembert cheese.
Thank you for taking the time to take all those pictures. A very fulfilling dinner indeed.

Just as a note, this "Camembert" was not born in Normandie and I wished the Blue cheese was a Roquefort.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
I beg to differ! MMQP has 3 types of cheese nightly during happy hour. And I counted eight (8) hot dishes - here's what we had tonight at happy hour at the MMQP which I consider the best in the Bangkok Marriott system.
I did not count blue cheese as "soft cheese".
(Well, I am not an expert in cheese classifications, so use casual terms.)

When I was there, there were two types of soft cheese. But I do not rule out a possibility something was finished when I grab my food.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by UASPG
Thank you for taking the time to take all those pictures. A very fulfilling dinner indeed.

Just as a note, this "Camembert" was not born in Normandie and I wished the Blue cheese was a Roquefort.
I will ask the lounge chef Khun Oum if I may take a photo of the cheese package! No, seriously, very high quality stuff and during the holidays (12/24-1/2) the Brie was with truffles.
Originally Posted by barracuda93
I did not count blue cheese as "soft cheese".
(Well, I am not an expert in cheese classifications, so use casual terms.)

When I was there, there were two types of soft cheese. But I do not rule out a possibility something was finished when I grab my food.
I thought they were pretty good at replenishing items immediately when running out.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by UASPG
Unfortunately, the Jamón ibérico had been replaced when I stayed at the hotel in December.
They had it back again this morning but not with the other meats it was on plate by the cereals
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
Hotel with jacuzzi and steam room

Dear folks,
any idea which SPG/Marriott property in Bangkok has a wet spa area with jacuzzi (hot tub / whirlpool) and steam room for guests? So far I've noted Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit has it.
Thanks much.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by landingpoint
Dear folks,
any idea which SPG/Marriott property in Bangkok has a wet spa area with jacuzzi (hot tub / whirlpool) and steam room for guests? So far I've noted Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit has it.
Thanks much.
The best I have seen is at the JW Marriott's men's locker room inside their spa and gym. They even have a cooling pool with ice-cold water to cool off after Jacuzzi session.

The St.R has a very good one also inside Elemis.

St. Regis Bangkok
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
I will ask the lounge chef Khun Oum if I may take a photo of the cheese package! No, seriously, very high quality stuff and during the holidays (12/24-1/2) the Brie was with truffles.

I thought they were pretty good at replenishing items immediately when running out.
I think that I've gained some weight just by looking at all the pictures you have been posting those last few days.I'll probably gain some more when I'll be at the hotel in the next couple of weeks.

What I recall from a discussion with the Sr Executive Sous-chef, is that most of those cheeses are made in Thailand, sometime by expats. Some are not bad, but the lounge at the Westin has (had?) the real thing.
Another very good selection (in a dedicated room) was at the Sofitel on Sukhumvit (but it's been a couple of years since I had a lunch there) and I was told by a Marriott Executive Chef, that has worked in Bangkok for a long time, that the Millennium Hilton had also an incredible selection, also in a 'Cheese room'. I don't know if this is still the case, but I found that 2016 video:

I would guess that the So Sofitel has something similar.
Kalboz likes this.

Last edited by UASPG; Jan 7, 2019 at 8:39 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Lobster
They had it back again this morning but not with the other meats it was on plate by the cereals
The whole 'beast' was traditionally always next to the cereal section.

Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Anyone else is seeing the same? Category remains listed as 2, while pricing is of Cat. 3.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
[QUOTE=UASPG;30622172]The whole 'beast' was traditionally always next to the cereal section.

[/QUOTE

They don't have the whole one anymore just a plate with a few slices but yes it is in the same place as the whole one was rather than with the other sliced meats
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They had the whole one out on Jan. 1.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Anyone else is seeing the same? Category remains listed as 2, while pricing is of Cat. 3.
I’m seeing that on the fron page but when you go into the booking page, Aloft reverts to 12500 pints per night, not 17500
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:21 pm

The "Camembert" is not bad, but it is definitely not a real Camembert - it is made in Korat.
Although, apparently, the name is not protected. The only protected label is “Camembert de Normandie AOP," referring to the French system AOP, which stands for Appellation d'origine protégée (Protected Designation of Origin).

They buy several Blue Cheeses, but no Roquefort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.