Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Kacee
From your posts upthread, it seems you have not actually stayed in any of these properties, correct?
I haven't stayed so far at SPG properties in Bangkok, but I did stay at SPG properties and have an idea of their branding.

Hongta (Luxury Collection) that I have recently stayed at when made a stopover in Shanghai, had been SR before; and SPG moved it down to LC brand because of the hard product getting dated (and perhaps also because food not being quite up to the standard of SR).
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:33 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AJLondon
If rates were the same at SGS, W and StR, which one would you pick?
The St Regis is my choice purely because I love the hardware. Sure there can be minor service faults and sometimes poor or lack of recovery (earlier this year when I was there they refused to serve me cut papaya during breakfast even though it was clearly available in the fridge?) but then I have had excellent experience with the butler (bringing us fresh flowers as gifts, then placing them into a vase during our stay, and even repacking them for us to take home - yet we forgot our destination had strict quarantine so we gifted the flowers to the check-in agent instead).

At the SGS I would expect none of those service issue and it's correct, service is great and it's a well oiled team there. The pool area which can be crowded is nice, shady, and relaxing but that's about it for me. I do not like the rooms or its decor (despite its recent renovations) and unless I need to be in the Asoke area AND have a good BRG rate, I will not stay there. I would rather go to the aLoft where I often get rates below US$70 per night [I have not had a mouldy/musky room as what's been reportedly, lucky me I guess] and another positive for me is it's steps away from party central [Levels Nightclub, then Insanity]

That said, I love W hotels, it's my preferred hotel choice but for some reason the Bangkok property didn't excite me. When the hotel gets its first makeover, the pool, the pool area and gym needs to be redone first. The location is like a love-hate relationship. It's not connected to the sky train like the St Regis or SGS is, but around a 7 minute walk which you can access via the next door building (that doesn't sound too bad, but when spending minutes in the humid heat - it doesn't feel too nice quickly). Now the Living Room is a trendy place to hang out but then your in Bangkok where there are lots of trendy places to hang out anyway.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:17 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by barracuda93
I haven't stayed so far at SPG properties in Bangkok, but I did stay at SPG properties and have an idea of their branding.

Hongta (Luxury Collection) that I have recently stayed at when made a stopover in Shanghai, had been SR before; and SPG moved it down to LC brand because of the hard product getting dated (and perhaps also because food not being quite up to the standard of SR).
I would suggest that it is really not possible to give that much weight to the branding of hotels. A Four Points in the US is very different from the Four Points in Shenzen which is very different from the Four Points in BKK.

I've stayed at the St Regis Bangkok 3 times and would never select it over the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit as the service level of the St Regis Bangkok is not s good as the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit.

Another example is it would be a mistake to make a decision to stay at the Aloft Bangkok based on one's experience at the Aloft Kuala Lumpur. The physical rooms may be similar, but the breakfast provided to Plats in the Aloft Kuala Lumpur is superior to many hotels who are branded as higher end.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Conflicted about where to stay in Bangkok this Wednesday & Thursday nights and would love any input.

I am traveling with my wife. Neither of us has ever been to Bangkok and we just thought we'd try a two-night visit after a nice week in Hong Kong. Currently I have the W booked ($150/night, SNA confirmed into a Marvelous Suite). I had the SGS booked on cash & points, but canceled it when the SNAs didn't come through but W's did.

Things we'd like to have, in order of importance:
#1 Good hard product (reliable air conditioning, nice shower/water pressure, good bed, etc.) -- reading about W led me to book it for these reasons
#2 Being "in the middle of the action" -- although we have honestly no idea what that means in terms of neighborhoods in Bangkok. (We are very well traveled and would love to be able to walk out the front door, turn the corner, and find a bar or live music or street full of food vendors, or whatnot). That said, we don't mind a short uber/taxi etc -- in HCMC we have stayed at the Park Hyatt, and taking an Uber 1-2 km to the backpackers street was just fine.
#3 Not spend a ton. I'm inclined not to want to spend more than the $150 rate I have at the W, which is why I didn't book the St. Regis (lowest rate I can get there is $237++). My other lowest available rates include: $108 (LM Suvarnabhumi), $111 (ROS), $136 (Westin), $137 (LM), $157 (Athenee), $194 (GH Erawan -- also considered staying there as I have Hyatt Glob).

Suite upgrade really isn't as important, which is why I'm asking for advice despite having cleared what looks like a nice upgrade at the W. But I've read a few places that the W is in a "business-y" location (this seems like people tend to weight it pretty strongly as a negative -- is that right?). But I've also read that it's near a Skytrain station so maybe that's not much of a negative? We have enjoyed using MTR around Hong Kong so don't mind that if it's easy to get to nightlife from the W via the Skytrain.

We would definitely make use of amenities like free drinks & laundry if available. We arrive at 7:25 p.m. Wednesday and leave around noon Friday. Would want to go out for dinner & general nightlife both Weds & Thurs.

Thanks for any thoughts, etc.

Last edited by platbrownguy; Dec 17, 2017 at 1:59 am
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Conflicted about where to stay in Bangkok this Wednesday & Thursday nights and would love any input.

I am traveling with my wife. Neither of us has ever been to Bangkok and we just thought we'd try a two-night visit after a nice week in Hong Kong. Currently I have the W booked ($150/night, SNA confirmed into a Marvelous Suite). I had the SGS booked on cash & points, but canceled it when the SNAs didn't come through but W's did.

#1 Good hard product (reliable air conditioning, nice shower/water pressure, good bed, etc.) -- reading about W led me to book it for these reasons
#2 Being "in the middle of the action" -- although we have honestly no idea what that means in terms of neighborhoods in Bangkok. (We are very well traveled and would love to be able to walk out the front door, turn the corner, and find a bar or live music or street full of food vendors, or whatnot). That said, we don't mind a short uber/taxi etc -- in HCMC we have stayed at the Park Hyatt, and taking an Uber 1-2 km to the backpackers street was just fine.
#3 Not spend a ton. I'm inclined not to want to spend more than the $150 rate I have at the W, which is why I didn't book the St. Regis (lowest rate I can get there is $237++). My other lowest available rates include: $108 (LM Suvarnabhumi), $111 (ROS), $136 (Westin), $137 (LM), $157 (Athenee), $194 (GH Erawan -- also considered staying there as I have Hyatt Glob).

Suite upgrade really isn't as important, which is why I'm asking for advice despite having cleared what looks like a nice upgrade at the W. But I've read a few places that the W is in a "business-y" location (this seems like people tend to weight it pretty strongly as a negative -- is that right?). But I've also read that it's near a Skytrain station so maybe that's not much of a negative? We have enjoyed using MTR around Hong Kong so don't mind that if it's easy to get to nightlife from the W via the Skytrain.

We would definitely make use of amenities like free drinks & laundry if available. We arrive at 7:25 p.m. Wednesday and leave around noon Friday. Would want to go out for dinner & general nightlife both Weds & Thurs.

as a local, i strongly recommend the plaza athenee or the st regis (in case you can spend more)
remymartin likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite

W is mean for Platinums. You get a drink voucher. Most of the rest of the hotels will give you a meaningful room upgrade and have a couple of hours of drinks in the evening. Location is also poor especially for first time Bangkok. You would be better at the Le Meridien which is right outside Patpong for the night market or one of the hotels on or near Sukhumvit Road (Athenee, Sheraton Grand, Westin) that will give you a better feeling of being in Bangkok. I'm a particular fan on Le Meridien and have 100% suite upgrades as have many others on here. Great breakfast with sparkling for Platinums. Sheraton Grand and Athenee both have their diehard fans too. Few people rave about the W in Bangkok.

Last edited by ftrichard; Dec 17, 2017 at 4:17 pm
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
The W is not in the middle of the action at all. MTRs are not nearly as well developed as Hong Kong or its wealthy Asian neighbors. The hardware is good (if you like their style), but that’s about it.
The St Regis has an excellent location imo, and agree with the suggestions above in regards to Athenee and Le Meridien as good alternatives.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by ftrichard
I'm a particular fan on Le Meridien and have 100% suite upgrades as have many others on here. Great breakfast with sparkling for Platinums. Sheraton Grand and Athenee both have their diehard fans too.
Have stayed at LM just recently: SPG status recognition and service are amazing, drinks at cocktail hour are great (snacks are nice too, though somewhat limited). Suites are very nice, though mine didn't have a great view from it. I won't recommend the location, however, unless Patpong is the primary nightlife choice.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Since its your first time what kind of things/sights/bars/restaurants/other things have you planned to do in Bangkok? That might help guide where you stay, given the relatively short time in Bangkok, and the fact that getting from A to B can be very time consuming.

However the W isn't too bad for a first timer in Bangkok and here are some ideas I guess; the skytrain is 5 minutes away - from there you can go to Saphan Taksin two stops away and get onto the river (cruise to the Grand Temple/Big Buddha or Asiatique). There is Sala Deang and Patpong not too far away - very cheesey but most first timers go there for some reason to have a peep There is Nahm down the road, or Shuring Restaurant 3kms away (took us an hour to get there from the W though stuck in an uber in peak hour) which are the 3rd and 2nd best Bangkok restaurants respectively according to San Pelligrino Awards. If you head to Nahm, then pop by next door to Moon Bar at Banyan Tree for the 2nd highest rooftop bar in Bangkok. Skybar is the highest rooftop and is not too far either but I prefer Cru Champagne Bar at Centara Grand as my choice of rooftop. The W is also three skytrain stops to Siam which is pretty the shopping hub of Bangkok - so again the location isn't too bad.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I had the SGS booked on cash & points, but canceled it when the SNAs didn't come through but W's did. ... Suite upgrade really isn't as important, ....
Suite upgrade not as important, but important enough for you to cancel at a hotel which gets near universal acclaim for service? Clearly I've missed something.
estnet likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:58 am

I'm in the minority when I say that the W Bangkok is my favorite SPG hotel in Bangkok. I always get taken care of well there and I enjoy that the location is away from the crazy on Sukhumvit. The location is good if you like quieter areas, but it's also not hard to get to the BTS from the W (you can walk from the door into the Sathon Square building with the 7-11, take the escalator and get right to the BTS). It's a few stops away from much of the night life, but that is my preference. The lobby bar is very busy on certain nights. I really like the hard product they have and since I am an extremely light alcohol drinker, don't mind being a little farther away from the nightlife since I don't indulge in it often. The lobby bar is often enough for me there. I also don't care for lounges much since I spend most of my time away from the hotel. The SGS, Westin, JW, all the other Stariot properties on Sukhumvit are much more ideal for nightlife though. You don't get much at the W besides a drink voucher though. No free laundry. There is a great restaurant right literally outside the door (the House on Sathorn) that I really enjoyed.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Suite upgrade not as important, but important enough for you to cancel at a hotel which gets near universal acclaim for service? Clearly I've missed something.
Yes, you missed the part about how I canceled the SGS before realizing that maybe we'd prefer location for this stay! (My default otherwise would be to prefer a suite to a nonsuite.)

And, clearly, I made my (poor) reservation choices before coming here for the awesome advice above. I'll look into the LM tonight, I had initially shied away from that after one too many lackluster LM experiences elsewhere.

That said, all this may be in vain -- my wife isn't feeling the greatest and I have fallen behind on some work to do remotely, so the guaranteed suite at the W & good hard product may end up winning out after all if it looks like we won't be going out quite as much.

thanks all, will report back
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Yes, you missed the part about how I canceled the SGS before realizing that maybe we'd prefer location for this stay! (My default otherwise would be to prefer a suite to a nonsuite.)

And, clearly, I made my (poor) reservation choices before coming here for the awesome advice above. I'll look into the LM tonight, I had initially shied away from that after one too many lackluster LM experiences elsewhere.

That said, all this may be in vain -- my wife isn't feeling the greatest and I have fallen behind on some work to do remotely, so the guaranteed suite at the W & good hard product may end up winning out after all if it looks like we won't be going out quite as much.
I'm unimpressed with the W. Remember, too, if you stay at the W, the bathrooms aren't exactly private. Commented about many times in the W Bangkok thread. Apart from the parsimonious PLT benefits, it's never struck me as a particularly warm hotel. I've stayed at the W twice. After my first disappointing experience, I gave it another try because, after all, any hotel can have a bad few days. But I was disappointed a second time. I find the pool a particularly cold and stark place. Just my opinion, and I know that others will differ.

I rather like the LM; and, as others have pointed out, Bamboo Chic is a very good bar, with regard both to staff and product. The suites are great. My only problem with this hotel is breakfast, which I find consistently not only disappointing, but in many respects a complete failure. For details, read my reviews in the LM Bangkok thread.

My Bangkok home is SGS. Sure, I don't always get suite upgrades; but one nice thing they do about that is that they'll keep checking and upgrade you after the first night if one becomes available. It often does. And, as you'll see if you read the SGS thread, the staff is great; service is pretty much perfect. When there are service failures, they are rectified quickly, and apologies made. I think that you'll like it.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Different tastes for different hotels. The best way to select a hotel is to look at the pictures and to read the threads.

I no longer like to always go to the same hotels, so Ivisit

The W for the bed (the best in my opinion) and the breakfast (probably the best of all Bangkok Starwood properties), but we only know the Marvelous suites. Not so many stays at this property but probably more than 15. Poor Platinum benefits. The increasing number of restaurants around the hotel has made it more attractive.

The Westin for the good food at the lounge, the convenience of the location and the easy suite upgrades.

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit for the good service, the location, the bed, the breakfast at Rossini, the evening drinks and when I am in a classic style mood. It has been quite a while since I do not need a 'discussion' to get a suite. Stayed twice at the Governor suite.

With well over 50 stays at the Le Meridien Bangkok, I know the hotel well, but never liked the location, although it has been convenient for work. I have enjoyed Bamboo Chic over the years, but liked it a bit less during my last stays. I also like less the breakfast than I used to. Always stated in suites (convenient set up) and a bunch of times in the large ones.

I have also stayed often at the Plaza Athenee, then The Athenee, for its large suites, the lounge that has it ups and down (the lobby bar is also a nice alternative for the happy hour drinks and snacks), the bed and the close by dining options) and the relatively good breakfast.

The Royal Orchid Sheraton was my first Starwood Bangkok hotel and I have stayed there well over 100 times. Was once upgraded to the Presidential suite and have enjoyed looking at the Chao Praya river for many years. They feed you relatively well at the lounge but it's not really an attractive place to be. I just go back once in a while, but it is the best Starwood deal on town.

I no longer stay at the Aloft (was upgraded for all my stays, but I read that it is no longer possible). Was an okay hotel.

I have just stayed at the Four Points a couple of times and always in conjunction with a Westin stays (late arrival or very early departure).

Just stayed once at the Le Meridien Suvarnabhumi to spend the night in between 2 flights, but it is not an airport convenient hotel. Will not go back.

Also stayed only once at the St Regis, was upgraded to the Astor Suite as we a connection that had put us on their VIP list, but St Regis is just not our type of hotels.

The staff is also an important factor when I select a hotel.

Last edited by UASPG; Dec 25, 2017 at 3:39 am
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:00 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
You're going to be fine with all the main SPG candidates for #1 . Middle of the action is subjective, but I personally like the Sukhumvit hotels for the stuff nearby and also that it's easy to get either West to Dept stores or East to Thonglor.

I'm at the SGS right now which is the only SPG hotel that I'd personally recommend in Bangkok (for a change I've got bookings at the Peninsula and Park Hyatt later on this week). The location is good, service flawless and in terms of saving money the very generous Platinum care will mean you've got a couple of hours of free food and drinks every night as well as 30% off food on site and some free laundry which you mentioned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.