Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG, RC
Originally Posted by dsquared37
CY does indeed refer to Courtyard and FS is a typical abbreviation for 'full service'.

Soi 11 would likely refer to Aloft. Suk 57 to the Marriott Sukhumvit Soi 57 (Thong Lor).
Thank you so much dsquared37!!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, HH DIA, SPG Plat
Are there any properties that have a higher probability of an 11 am early check-in for platinums?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:29 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by LennartH
Are there any properties that have a higher probability of an 11 am early check-in for platinums?
Any that weren't full the night before.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dsquared37
... FS is a typical abbreviation for 'full service'.
Before reading this thread, I always used "FS" and saw it used as an abbreviation for the Four Seasons.

Originally Posted by LennartH
Well, if you're PLT 75, you should have little or no problem at any Bangkok hotel with a Your 24 request. If you're not, try emailing the Front Desk Manager, Reservations Manager or even GM and explain the situation. I find management usually very accommodating at Starwood properties in Bangkok.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Before reading this thread, I always used "FS" and saw it used as an abbreviation for the Four Seasons.

I agree..... I was reading this and actually checked above to make sure I wasn't in the Marriott forum,.... I was like what the hell are they talking about?

I suggest that until the chains are merged to make the discussion what the title says which is Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose?

We will merge soon enough, but i'm a long time poster and this talk of all the marriott properties and abbreviations are irritating at most, and not aligned at the least.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:51 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Is there a property known to give platinum benefits to both rooms when one member books two rooms? I know it's not a standard benefit so most will say no.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by schley
I agree..... I was reading this and actually checked above to make sure I wasn't in the Marriott forum,.... I was like what the hell are they talking about?

I suggest that until the chains are merged to make the discussion what the title says which is Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose?

We will merge soon enough, but i'm a long time poster and this talk of all the marriott properties and abbreviations are irritating at most, and not aligned at the least.
exactly my view. Perhaps it's time moderators consider a sandbox forum for the alleged merger so people who want to compare spg and MaRiot properties can compare there. I am really tired of reading MaRiot property in the starwood forum from some posters who have never posted any spg hotel review or other.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree. For now, keep 'em separate. A good time to merge them might be when the programs merge.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:24 pm

I will travel with my parents to BKK in December and because it will be their first trip to Asia I want to bring them to a nice hotel. I have been to only three SPG properties in BKK so far.

1. Royal Orchid Sheraton. The location is very good for first-time tourists, and the hotel is generous with suite upgrades. However I read on FT that recently the food quality has gone down and no more breakfast in the restaurant.

2. Westin Sukhumvit. Suite upgrades are not frequent but the food quality is better to ROS and I think food might be more important than a suite for this trip.

3. Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. Great hotel and great food, but no lounge. This is an issue because my mom is highly allergic to gluten so ideally I do not want to rely on various restaurants in the city, and I would be more comfortable if I advise our hotel in advance and get food from there. They will be very careful and I would trust them more. In SGS we would have to eat in the hotel restaurant every day, which I see as a minus relative to a lounge.

Which other properties should I consider? Aloft and 4P are out because I am looking for higher scalel. St.Regis does not seem worth the money based on comments on FT.

LM does not have a lounge so same issue as SGS? W no lounge as well.

What about PA? I read there is a nice lounge but food is subpar? And not generous for suite upgrades, similar to Westin.

At the moment I am thinking if I decide for a no-lounge option despite the drawbacks, the best is SGS. If I book somewhere with a lounge, with all considered it's Westin. But those are two properties that I know... Any other opinions?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:29 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
If your ant a place with a lounge then PA's lounge is much more expansive than the Westin. Nice couches and place to relax. On the other hand, the WGS is right across the street from Terminal 21 and lots of options there for everything. If you want a place with a lounge then SGS. How long will you be in town? Perhaps first night at the ROS for the views and then move?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:54 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by escape4
At the moment I am thinking if I decide for a no-lounge option despite the drawbacks, the best is SGS. If I book somewhere with a lounge, with all considered it's Westin. But those are two properties that I know... Any other opinions?
I've now done all the Bangkok SPG hotels (except Aloft) and actually think you've got the right two hotels to pick from. Whilst it's true that the SGS doesn't technically have a lounge, it basically has three for you to pick from. The room service kitchen is best in class and I would have thought they'd be more trustworthy than most on dietary issues (although I'd say the same of the WGS).
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In SGS we would have to eat in the hotel restaurant every day, which I see as a minus relative to a lounge.
I'm clearly missing something here. How does a lounge in the hotel address your mom's gluten allergy better than a restaurant? Isn't a lounge just another hotel dining facility?

I can tell you from [a friend's] experience that SGS is scrupulously careful about food allergies. You'll have no problem. What's more, the chefs are usually happy to cook special meals on request.

While there is no lounge, you have quite a wide selection of eating options from which to choose at SGS: Orchid Caf, Rossini, Basil, Living Room, BarSu, The Sala and In Room Dining. Each has its own menu; but you can also order from any of the menus at any of the restaurants.

You might also send an advance email to the Chief Concierge, Khun Veera, or the Food & Beverage Director, Rob Wittebrood, letting them know about your mom's dietary requirements. That way they're sure to be prepared when she arrives.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:40 am

I have stayed at all SPG BKK properties with the exception of Le Meridien Suvarnabhumi Airport. I love Le Meridien Surawong, but having stayed 5 times so far at Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, I have to say that SGS is THE best SPG property. It is probably safe to say it is one of the best in Thailand for its category. Their F&B is very strong and service is impeccable. Decor might not be the best and most current (and I am very picky about that sort of thing), but it is an absolutely fine and comfortable hotel.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:03 am

Thanks all for the feedback. I think this confirms my previous thought that SGS is the best SPG hotel and is worth considering despite not having a lounge. If I choose the lounge option, can someone compare the differences between food in PA vs Westin? Both morning and evening. Is it correct that PA's breakfast is better, but that evening spread in the lounge is better in Westin?

Dr HFH, to answer your question about why my mom's gluten allergy is related to a lounge, I agree that it's not immediately obvious what I had in mind. My reasoning is that if I intend to go to restaurants without restrictions in a city, then I would prefer not to be limited to the restaurant(s) of the hotel but rather have the choice of going where I want. I will pay for it, but I choose. If I travel with my mom, then the safest is to limit ourselves to eating at the same place. If I am going to limit meals to the same place, then might as well have it for free in the lounge rather than pay every day for the (same) restaurant. Fortunately SGS has many restaurants so it tempers the lack of choice.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dr HFH, to answer your question about why my mom's gluten allergy is related to a lounge, I agree that it's not immediately obvious what I had in mind. My reasoning is that if I intend to go to restaurants without restrictions in a city, then I would prefer not to be limited to the restaurant(s) of the hotel but rather have the choice of going where I want. I will pay for it, but I choose. If I travel with my mom, then the safest is to limit ourselves to eating at the same place. If I am going to limit meals to the same place, then might as well have it for free in the lounge rather than pay every day for the (same) restaurant. Fortunately SGS has many restaurants so it tempers the lack of choice.
Ah, I see now. But it seems to me that a hotel lounge is your worst choice. Lounges typically serve standard lounge food, whatever it happens to be at that hotel. For example, you mentioned the "spread" in the lounge at the Westin. That's just it, -- the spread is what it is. I would guess it highly unlikely that you'll be able to get a lounge to cook specially to meet your mom's requirements; where a restaurant is much more likely to be set up to do that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.