Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
The Sheraton in Cha-Am is really nothing to write home about, unless you can dwell in a pool for hours on end. There's nothing wrong with it, but the rooms are really... Sheraton. It can be had for rather reasonable rates, though.

The Sheraton in Pattaya is a completely different style resort, though. The pools aren't that great, but the villas can be nice if you manage to get upgraded to one.

Neither property has a very good beach.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I have not stayed there, but I hear that the Sheraton outside of Hua Hin is a great property.

Or, you could go past Bangkok and stay at the Sheraton in Pattaya. Sometimes the rates there are killer high, sometimes quite reasonable.
I think it would be easier to go to the LM in Bangkok and soak up the sleaze and entertainment on the doorstep than Pattaya. Then again the SGS is a short walk to Soi Cowboy. Beaches in Pattaya are pretty ordinary.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:10 am
Suspended

I'm sorta seeing a trend to the Le Meridien over the St. Regis...no?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:22 am

pricesquire - LM is Cat3 and StR Cat6. Rates are about double at the latter. LM is very good value, but its location is an acquired taste.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:46 pm
Suspended

FWIW, not looking to redeem points...

While I agree that rates are 1/2 as much at the LM, the StR looks like a good opportunity to double my potential earning balance by the end of my trip.

By acquired taste, you mean ___?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:26 pm

StR is an excellent property and unlike yosithezet wrote, I can get into a shopping centre in 5 minutes on foot. It is next to the Four Seasons and has stunning views from the Grand Deluxe rooms.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by pricesquire
FWIW, not looking to redeem points...

While I agree that rates are 1/2 as much at the LM, the StR looks like a good opportunity to double my potential earning balance by the end of my trip.

By acquired taste, you mean ___?
LM is right opposite Patpong market. There are a lot of gogo bars and ping pong touts to deal with but the market is similar to other markets around Bangkok, there are a few bars with live music and a lot of restaurants. It is not as convenient to the BTS but is 10 min walk from Sala Daeng stop which is the next station on from the StR so its actually not very far if you want to visit there. I like to spend 3 or 4 nights there on a trip, the hotel is good and the Plat recognition is excellent. Some here don't like the sleaze aspect on the doorstep but the wife and I like to have a few drinks listening to live music and wander about the market whilst easily being able to slip back to the hotel. Then again I regularly spend 3 - 4 days at most other SPG hotels in Bangkok except for ROS as each area has its own attractions and advantages. I don't go to ROS as the location is inconvenient and the river isn't my thing. I like both the StR and SGS but don't stay often because usually other hotels have much better rates and Im usually stayin 2 - 3 weeks so value for money starts to become important.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:51 pm

Plaza Athenee is now my favourite SPG hotel in Bangkok, if not all of Thailand.
SGS falls to 2nd place for me now, the service at PA was simply phenomenal this time round.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:00 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by remymartin
StR is an excellent property and unlike yosithezet wrote, I can get into a shopping centre in 5 minutes on foot. It is next to the Four Seasons and has stunning views from the Grand Deluxe rooms.
Excellent hard product and in my 3 stays, poor soft product.

5 mins by foot into which shopping mall?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
5 mins by foot into which shopping mall?
Central World, Zen entrance.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:11 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
you must have very fast shoes
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:58 pm
Suspended

OK, I've pretty much got it down to the St. Regis, on hard-product alone.

Usually don't care about soft product, as I rarely eat in hotels, use the services, or really "need" any assistance. I recognize soft product is a huge +/- for a lot of people, but it's not my shtick.

Anyways, the only thing that has me holding back on the StR is the location. Seems a bit sterile. How easy is the train to use? Let's say I'm out late and tipsy...is the train going to be a burden?

In short, what's the next best thing as far as hard product?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:21 pm

Easy - just split up those 4 nts into 2 stays in 2 different areas. StRegis for shopping etc and SGS (Sukhumvit) or LM (Surawong) for a livelier location.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by remymartin
Easy - just split up those 4 nts into 2 stays in 2 different areas. StRegis for shopping etc and SGS (Sukhumvit) or LM (Surawong) for a livelier location.
Good idea.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Anyways, the only thing that has me holding back on the StR is the location. Seems a bit sterile. How easy is the train to use? Let's say I'm out late and tipsy...is the train going to be a burden?
I believe that there's a walkway from the hotel directly into the Skytrain station. I don't think that it's quite as easy as the similar arrangement at SGS, where the walkway to the Skytrain goes directly from the main entrance (the main entrance at SGS is a fairly tall floor up from ground level), but nearly so. IIRC, the hotel end of the walkway between the Skytrain and StR is in a somewhat less obvious location than the front door, but once you find it the first time, you're fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.