Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by FoodieOnTour
Sometimes yes, very often not. Just as an example I just looked into two week from now (after Sonkran, during that hotels are full) and see on March 22nd:
- 5550++ THB in the SGS versus
- 5680++ THB in the StR.
That's an excellent rate! I haven't seen StR ever that low on a 1nt booking, but when booking 2 nts, the price goes down drastically.

I'm sure you meant April 22nd, though Bangkok must be really hurting, as even PA sent out a sub 4k offer for Songkran!

In some ways enjoy LM tremendously, but dislike the pool area, and I'm not a fan of the area.

I'm really looking forward to trying out the new LM eventhough I can't see myself staying there for more than 1 nt.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: SPG Plat Lifetime, CX Diamond, LH SEN, TK Elite / *A Gold
Originally Posted by remymartin
I'm really looking forward to trying out the new LM eventhough I can't see myself staying there for more than 1 nt.
What is new about the LM (despite the GM)?

I just stayed there last weekend and it was a great stay, as usual. We even enjoyed the pool, which I like because I can really swim in this one. Also the big Sala for three couples is nice and relaxing, I prefer a little shadow with a breeze. It serves it purpose for me better than the Oasis from the SGS, which is beautiful but not functional IMO (swimming impossible, relaxing often disturbed).

My only complaint these days: The breakfast was a little weak... the croissants bad.... yes, the old story. But the new GM came by and saw them himself... and promised improvement. "Croissants are a signature item for a LM", his words. I can only agree and look forward to any improvement on them and the entire breakfast. To be fair I assume that was probably mostly due to low occupancy, where hotels go down with the service at breakfast.

Otherwise nothing changed to my eyes in the LM. Maybe you can share your knowledge with us?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:49 am

I guess I wasn't clear - the new, upcoming LM Suvarnabhumi
Old Apr 12, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Maybe someone can add to that with experience. I have two friends with SPG Gold, who are twice a year in BKK. Both are Caucasian European couples who enjoy sights and touristy stuff and they rank SPG hotels very different from me (and other regulars)... like this:
1. 4P (modern & spacious rooms, cheap)
2. ROS (pools, river view & location)
3. LM (great overall performance)
4. StR (highly impressive for many golds but pricey)
5. PA (for the pool and spacious rooms)
6. Westin (good value)
My first few trips were as gold and I found the club rooms to be good value with PA, Westin and SGS (Grand deluxe). Now not so much but I have plat status so not such an issue. I stayed at 4P as a gold and the room was so small I had to step over the chair. It took a long time before I tried them again and received a much better room. Never had much benefit at the LM as a gold but its great as a Plat.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:57 am

The mentioned large fan base for the SGS is puzzling since it is simply not backed by the hard product (inferior to many), the current upgrade rate (horrible), the value for money ratio (for the same money the StR is superior IMO) and yes also the mentioned service. The service in the SGS is not much reason for complaints but is not better than the LM or even the PA or yes, I say it, the Westin... the latter lacks in the hard product but the service was always good (especially in the lounge)
Why such divergent opinions on SGS? My wife and I will be going with our two year-old son next year, our first ever visit to BKK. SGS offers a very good 4500++ corporate rate, which is why I've booked it so far. But if all the praise for SGS is actually unwarranted, should I jump to the W or St. Regis even if, for example, a free third night-type of promotion via FHR isn't available? Currently, the LM is 4000++ on the dates we'll be there but that's non-refundable. To the extent it matters, we care more about great food (not necessarily upscale restaurants) than touristy sites and shopping, but will definitely partake in the latter somewhat. Public transportation accessibility is a must.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
My wife and I will be in BKK in May/June and will be spending the front end of our trip (3 nights) at the St Regis, where we have stayed once before and is the only SPG property we've been to in BKK before. Our positive experience last time plus the VERY favorable rates clinched it for us. All that said, we have one more BKK day/night > early morning (i.e. 6 am) flight out on the tail end of our trip and were interested in trying another property. Prices all seem fairly low (between 3.5K-5.6K). We'll be arriving from Hanoi around noon on a Saturday and leaving very early the following morning.

My questions are: 1) Is there a preferable property in terms of convenience to BKK or would it all be fairly equal travel-time wise at that early hour? 2) If you just had one more night and haven't been to other SPG BKK properties is there one that stands out? Reading this thread, sounds like every property has it's pros/cons.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by silentbob1974
Why such divergent opinions on SGS? My wife and I will be going with our two year-old son next year, our first ever visit to BKK. SGS offers a very good 4500++ corporate rate, which is why I've booked it so far. But if all the praise for SGS is actually unwarranted, should I jump to the W or St. Regis even if, for example, a free third night-type of promotion via FHR isn't available? Currently, the LM is 4000++ on the dates we'll be there but that's non-refundable. To the extent it matters, we care more about great food (not necessarily upscale restaurants) than touristy sites and shopping, but will definitely partake in the latter somewhat. Public transportation accessibility is a must.
It's not unwarranted, but there's a diverse set of opinions about it. Each of the properties does have it's pros and cons. I am a huge fan of the SGS, it's my favorite property, it has a huge loyal following. According to the little slip of paper in my key packet, I've had 15 stays here so far.

And though I respect Foodie's opinion about it, I don't share it. He loves the Le M, I don't. Who is right? We both are. We're different so why can't we have different opinions about it? But he knows I pretty much disagree with most of what he said about the SGS, but I'm sure there are other people who agree at least in part, if not in whole about what he said.

Ask for a newly renovated room (or suite if you are going to use your SNAs, which is a good idea here especially with the little one in tow). Let them know what time you're arriving if you are arriving early. They will do their best to accommodate your arrival time if they can.

It's directly connected to both BTS and the MRT (and T21) making it accessible to almost anywhere else in Bangkok very easily using transit as your jump off point, regardless if you want/need to take a taxi or you want to use public transit. None of the other properties offer that direct connection, some are convenient to it, but not directly connected to it, others are less convenient for using public transit.

And it offers a slate of platinum benefits that are second to none and a GM and management team that will go to just about any lengths to take care of their guests as you can see regularly in the SGS thread. They continue to surprise me on every stay.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Apr 18, 2014 at 4:43 pm
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
It's not unwarranted, but there's a diverse set of opinions about it. Each of the properties does have it's pros and cons. I am a huge fan of the SGS, it's my favorite property, it has a huge loyal following. According to the little slip of paper in my key packet, I've had 15 stays here so far.

And though I respect Foodie's opinion about it, I don't share it. He loves the Le M, I don't. Who is right? We both are. We're different so why can't we have different opinions about it? But he knows I pretty much disagree with most of what he said about the SGS, but I'm sure there are other people who agree at least in part, if not in whole about what he said.

Ask for a newly renovated room (or suite if you are going to use your SNAs, which is a good idea here especially with the little one in tow). Let them know what time you're arriving if you are arriving early. They will do their best to accommodate your arrival time if they can.

It's directly connected to both BTS and the MRT (and T21) making it accessible to almost anywhere else in Bangkok very easily using transit as your jump off point, regardless if you want/need to take a taxi or you want to use public transit. None of the other properties offer that direct connection, some are convenient to it, but not directly connected to it, others are less convenient for using public transit.

And it offers a slate of platinum benefits that are second to none and a GM and management team that will go to just about any lengths to take care of their guests as you can see regularly in the SGS thread. They continue to surprise me on every stay.

-David
I think that LIHPrem sums it up very well. All of the SPG hotels in Bangkok are a little different. They all have their pros and cons. Like LIHPrem, I am a big fan of the SGS with nearly 70 stays over the years (I have also stayed in most of the other Bangkok properties as well).

I am always impressed with the staff at the SGS and the efforts they make to ensure that their guests stays are terrific. There is really no request too big or small -- they are always handled with efficiency and a smile!

While it is true that they have had a somewhat smaller pool of suites of late due to the renovation program, my upgrade rate has still been pretty solid, especially when applying the SNA. Remember, if one really needs a suite, regardless of hotel you should book the suite.

My personal pick, especially with a children in tow would be the SGS for many reasons, especially it's proximity to transport (BTS and MRT), shopping (T21 and Times Square), the pool area and the spacious suites (assuming your upgraded).
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by LIH Prem

-David
St Regis is directly connected to the BTS and Westin is directly opposite on the road to SGS but without direct access, you have to walk up stairs from the hotel entrance. Plaza Athenee is less than 5 min walk to the BTS as is W.

St Regis is a better hardware hotel. I cant say whether the plat recognition is particularly good at SGS as I have never stayed as a plat. I know PA and LM have excellent plat recognition.

SGS is a good hotel. I would question whether it is better than PA or LM and I know its not better than St Regis. Its a question of value and opinion. I personally don't think its good value but there are things people mention here that they value that don't interest me at all. I prefer the pool, entrance and dining at the PA and my experience of the rooms is that they are the same size and almost the same fitout. SGS is opposite Terminal 21 and direct access to the BTS. I personally spend a lot more time at MBK than Terminal 21 so the SGS location isn't as convenient. LM has the Patpong market and lots of sleaze and shopping around it which I enjoy.

Ive stayed at all of the SPG hotels in BKK and racked up the most stays at LM and PA because they are great value. If I have an open checkbook Im at St Regis and when stopping over Im in Aloft. When SGS drops their pricing 1000 BHT a night I will include them in my rotation.

Last edited by geminidreams; Apr 18, 2014 at 7:47 pm
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:40 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
SGS is not a better hotel. It's a better hotel experience.

In fact the rooms are only average, unless you get a suite. The suites are nice, but other BKK properties have better suites, by far. And the platinum upgrade to a suite seems to be non existent unless you use SNA certs.

The SGS shines if you're going to frequent the F&B outlets or liaise with the front office staff a lot, if you're going to use the butler for cappuccino in your room, or PLatinum Happy hour in the various lounges for free.

Whether you should stay at the SGS should depend on how much time you will be in the hotel. Not the room, the hotel... dining, lounging, at the pool, enjoying the experience.

My synopsis:
SGS food & beverage and guest service is better. Rooms are OK, Suites are average and virtually non-existent as a Plat upgrade.

ROS took away breakfast = FAIL. But great suite upgrades!

PA Suites Better, Rooms worse, Exodus of unhappy employees has left service unfinished. Suite upgrade chance is good if you book ahead.

LeM Great rooms, Awesome suites, but I'm not hip enough, they save the good service for the good looking people. Good upgrade policy.

St Regis has the best comparative product, but I don't need or want to pay for that much luxury. The suite was awesome!

Westin is a darn good business hotel, across the street from the SGS. Suites are nice, but few and far between.

Aloft, basic, affordable, modern.

Four Points Suk 15, a good 4 star hotel room, if the rates are cheaper than the other SPG options. No suite upgrades.

W, I've never stayed at a W.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
SGS is not a better hotel. It's a better hotel experience.

In fact the rooms are only average, unless you get a suite. The suites are nice, but other BKK properties have better suites, by far. And the platinum upgrade to a suite seems to be non existent unless you use SNA certs.

The SGS shines if you're going to frequent the F&B outlets or liaise with the front office staff a lot, if you're going to use the butler for cappuccino in your room, or PLatinum Happy hour in the various lounges for free.

Whether you should stay at the SGS should depend on how much time you will be in the hotel. Not the room, the hotel... dining, lounging, at the pool, enjoying the experience.

My synopsis:
SGS food & beverage and guest service is better. Rooms are OK, Suites are average and virtually non-existent as a Plat upgrade.

ROS took away breakfast = FAIL. But great suite upgrades!

PA Suites Better, Rooms worse, Exodus of unhappy employees has left service unfinished. Suite upgrade chance is good if you book ahead.

LeM Great rooms, Awesome suites, but I'm not hip enough, they save the good service for the good looking people. Good upgrade policy.

St Regis has the best comparative product, but I don't need or want to pay for that much luxury. The suite was awesome!

Westin is a darn good business hotel, across the street from the SGS. Suites are nice, but few and far between.

Aloft, basic, affordable, modern.

Four Points Suk 15, a good 4 star hotel room, if the rates are cheaper than the other SPG options. No suite upgrades.

W, I've never stayed at a W.
Very fair summary- I would add W has poor location and I don't like also the newer LM location.

If you are going to soend the money of the St. R I would also check out the GR Hyatt and Four Seasons which are just down the street.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Very fair summary- I would add W has poor location and I don't like also the newer LM location.

If you are going to soend the money of the St. R I would also check out the GR Hyatt and Four Seasons which are just down the street.
Considering this is the SPG forum and people wanting to find the ideal SPG hotel, I am not sure those 2 would be of much interest.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whimike
Considering this is the SPG forum and people wanting to find the ideal SPG hotel, I am not sure those 2 would be of much interest.
My point was that in that area of the city and in the same price range there are at least two alternatives which I have found to be better.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:14 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by geminidreams
SGS is a good hotel. I would question whether it is better than PA or LM and I know its not better than St Regis. Its a question of value and opinion. I personally don't think its good value but there are things people mention here that they value that don't interest me at all. I prefer the pool, entrance and dining at the PA and my experience of the rooms is that they are the same size and almost the same fitout. SGS is opposite Terminal 21 and direct access to the BTS. I personally spend a lot more time at MBK than Terminal 21 so the SGS location isn't as convenient. LM has the Patpong market and lots of sleaze and shopping around it which I enjoy.
Well said. This shows why there is no right or wrong answer. I go to MBK maybe once a year. I 'live' at the Westin and Terminal 21 has made it so that I have no reason to go anywhere else in town, most of the time, outside of work. That isn't a good thing, but simply shows how much is there. I have stayed at the St. Regis 3 times, and each time have been disappointed thoroughly with the soft product. Physical plant can't be beat. But the service is quite poor IMO. The St. Regis should be head and shoulders above the SGS experience, but is isn't, in my opinion. It would be interesting to see if that would change if they moved the SGS GM to the St. Regis. Hmm....

I love the PA but it is further from the BTS than the WGS. When heading to the BTS to go the office, the PA and the LM are simply non-starters for me.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:05 pm

yosithezet,

Out of curiousity why do you feel the StR "should be head and shoulders above" the SGS? I've never perceived StR to be a higher level brand than LC, although "different".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.