Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2014, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I wonder how the new Le Meridien Suvarnabhumi will change our outlook on this thread?
Assuming that it has an airport shuttle (and it would be crazy not to), I assume that it will pick up all those people who post on one of the Thailand threads with questions about what to do in Bangkok on an overnight connection. I'd also use it the night before on a very early departure.

Originally Posted by remymartin
If nothing else, we'll have to call the current LM by a different name LM Surawong instead of LM BKK
Well, assuming that we continue to adhere to the informal convention of three characters or fewer,.... LMS and LMB?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:00 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Assuming that it has an airport shuttle (and it would be crazy not to), I assume that it will pick up all those people who post on one of the Thailand threads with questions about what to do in Bangkok on an overnight connection. I'd also use it the night before on a very early departure.
I doubt it will be priced at rates that will be attractive to use it for this purpose.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I doubt it will be priced at rates that will be attractive to use it for this purpose.
True, but look at the prices they get for the Novotel, which will certainly be inferior to the LMS & is quite popular. IMO bid bad Bangkok scares a certain % of travelers.

Last edited by whackyjacky; Mar 16, 2014 at 9:39 pm
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG platinum
Best Choice in Bangkok SPG properties

I am a first timer posting to this forum! Everyone has to start sometime though right?

I am a veteran when it comes to SPG Canadian properties, however I am taking my family of 4 to Bangkok for 4 nights over New Years 2014/15. Does anyone have any advise on the best value property for my SPG points? Priority for me is the breakfast amenity and pool. I am a platinum member which I hope translates into a room upgrade wherever I go - but maybe I'm dreaming?

much appreciate your group wisdom on this.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
This might help

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

Welcome to Flyertalk
Old Mar 30, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Smile

Originally Posted by Canvic71
I am a first timer posting to this forum! Everyone has to start sometime though right?

I am a veteran when it comes to SPG Canadian properties, however I am taking my family of 4 to Bangkok for 4 nights over New Years 2014/15. Does anyone have any advise on the best value property for my SPG points? Priority for me is the breakfast amenity and pool. I am a platinum member which I hope translates into a room upgrade wherever I go - but maybe I'm dreaming?

much appreciate your group wisdom on this.
NYE !!!!
1.force to pay in gala dinner
2.super ultra peak period ,don't hope too much in upgrade

4 nights with point!!
1.Why 4 it should 5 (5 pay 4 in point redemption)

Breakfast & pool!
1.Cat 4 Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel
2.Cat 3 Plaza Athénée Bangkok, Le Méridien Bangkok, The Westin Grande Sukhumvit (BF),Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers (pool)

Transportation
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit = St.Regist > Westin > Plaza Athene > Le meridien > ROS

Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:58 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by nongsom
NYE !!!!
1.force to pay in gala dinner
I think only the ROS in BKK has the forced gala dinner. The WGS certainly does not. What about others?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... I am taking my family of 4 to Bangkok for 4 nights over New Years 2014/15.
Don't know where you live, but unless you're already in SEAsia, seems like a lot of travel for a family of four for four nights. Are you also going anywhere else in Thailand?

As mentioned upthread, it's a tough time for upgrades. You don't mention your SPG level. If you're PLT 100 (or otherwise have been assigned an Ambassador), this is definitely something on which you'd want your Ambassador's assistance. Prior to starting the current renovations, SGS was pretty good for PLT upgrades. If they're done by then, I would guess that it will go back to normal. Right now, though, upgrades at SGS are very hard to come by without using SNAs.

You'll find more details by poking around in the different threads, but my gut feeling is that, with regard to upgrades, LM is usually pretty good, same with PA. Don't know much about StR. Upgrades at W are few and far between. There are others here who can speak more accurately than I to WGS upgrades.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:35 pm

Anyone have non-Starwood recommendations for a hotel near BKK, preferably with a free shuttle service? We'll likely be at the SGS or St. Regis for most of our stay, but would like to be closer to the airport on our final night if it turns out that our flight home is super-early the next morning (i.e., 6:30 am).

I understand that the Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi is scheduled to open in August, but in case it gets delayed...
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by silentbob1974
Anyone have non-Starwood recommendations for a hotel near BKK, preferably with a free shuttle service? We'll likely be at the SGS or St. Regis for most of our stay, but would like to be closer to the airport on our final night if it turns out that our flight home is super-early the next morning (i.e., 6:30 am).

I understand that the Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi is scheduled to open in August, but in case it gets delayed...
Honestly for such an early flight the trip from SGS or St. Regis is relatively quick, I.e. No more than 30 minutes. In my opinion it's not worth the hustle of moving to save a few minutes, as your wasting a bunch of time moving (checkout/check in), etc. Enjoy your last night and leave bright and early, catchup on some sleep on the plane.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by silentbob1974

Might find something here...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...and-forum.html

There are links to a number of airport hotel discussions, although I admit I've not yet had a chance to read through the threads closely...
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Don't know where you live, but unless you're already in SEAsia, seems like a lot of travel for a family of four for four nights. Are you also going anywhere else in Thailand?

As mentioned upthread, it's a tough time for upgrades. You don't mention your SPG level. If you're PLT 100 (or otherwise have been assigned an Ambassador), this is definitely something on which you'd want your Ambassador's assistance. Prior to starting the current renovations, SGS was pretty good for PLT upgrades. If they're done by then, I would guess that it will go back to normal. Right now, though, upgrades at SGS are very hard to come by without using SNAs.

You'll find more details by poking around in the different threads, but my gut feeling is that, with regard to upgrades, LM is usually pretty good, same with PA. Don't know much about StR. Upgrades at W are few and far between. There are others here who can speak more accurately than I to WGS upgrades.
I am actually travelling back from NZ and using Bangkok as a stop over. I am a PLT but may not hit my 100 night concierge level this year - something to strive for. I definitely appreciate the feedback and finding this thread
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I am actually travelling back from NZ and using Bangkok as a stop over. I am a PLT but may not hit my 100 night concierge level this year - something to strive for. I definitely appreciate the feedback and finding this thread
Agree with Nongsom if you are doing 4 nights on points you may as well take stay for the free 5th night.

LM, PA and WGS are the best value for 7000 points, all have good Plat recognition, and good breakfasts. Westin is close to Terminal 21 and the BTS but is a little rundown. PA is nice with a great lounge, lovely pool and 5 min walk to BTS. LM is opposite from Patpong market. Some like it some don't. I do but Im an adult and not fazed by the ping pong touts and girly bars that are there. BTS is convenient for getting around in peak hour when Bangkok gets gridlocked for a couple of hours and some of the good attractions can be reached easily by BTS.

ROS is inconveniently located and the river is overrated from my perspective. Upgrades are good for plats but no buffet breakfast included.

4P and Aloft are OK if you want to save points and money but apart from selecting breakfast as an amenity there is little recognition as a plat.

W is inconveniently located though I quite liked it as a hotel and received an upgrade. SGS is well located and has a big fan base. I just think it isn't great value. For me equivalent rooms in SGS are barely distinguishable from PA or Westin but you pay a premium. If they price the same I go there but usually the CAT 3s are much better value.

St Regis is poor value for points. Its nice hotel and well located.

Last edited by geminidreams; Apr 1, 2014 at 3:10 am Reason: put SGS ratehr than 4Points
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geminidreams
SGS and Aloft are OK if you want to save points and money but apart from selecting breakfast as an amenity there is little recognition as a plat.

W is inconveniently located though I quite liked it as a hotel and received an upgrade. SGS is well located and has a big fan base. I just think it isn't great value. For me equivalent rooms in SGS are barely distinguishable from PA or Westin but you pay a premium. If they price the same I go there but usually the CAT 3s are much better value.
I presume that your statement that "SGS ... OK if you want to save points and money ..." is an error, as you contradict it in the next paragraph.

Agree that the SGS hard product isn't at the very top of the heap. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but it's definitely not the StR or FS. The current renovations will improve it markedly. I'm an SGS regular; I consider it my Bangkok home. It's clear strength is the soft product. In terms of soft product, staff attitude, etc., this may be the best hotel I've ever stayed in. For me, soft product is a far more important criterion than hard.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Cool

Originally Posted by geminidreams

SGS and Aloft are OK if you want to save points and money but apart from selecting breakfast as an amenity there is little recognition as a plat.

St Regis is poor value for points. Its nice hotel and well located.
I think it may be 4 point (same cat2 as aloft)

In cat2
4 point after GM gone for 6 month to westin siray phuket
all plat benefit are downnnnnnnn
no upgrade in ultra low period that i stay at this properties (bangkok shutdown + weekend)
and pay 250*point for breakfast same as aloft

breakfast
4point > aloft
transportation
4point > aloft
upgrade
base on my experience
4 point corner room
aloft (not participate) but they upgrade me to urban room (city view)
aloft in high floor are better view than 4 point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.