Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Globehopper
Le Meridien (as with the SGS and WGS) is located near both the Sky Train and underground Metro stations.
BTS Sala Daeng station is a good 8-10 minute walk from LM, and you'll be sweating when you get there. You can avoid the walk through Patpong by walking one block past Patpong and using Soi Thaniya, instead. It's much wider and easier to walk. Also, it's a regular street.

Originally Posted by FoodieOnTour
I regard the LM my favorite SPG property in Bangkok, still for many first timers the experience is not favorable. BTS is quite far away. MRT is near but you have to transit for most common destinations and that can be annoying.
Not sure what you mean, FoodieOn Tour. MRT is colocated with BTS at Sala Daeng, unless you're talking about Sam Yan station. I've never walked there.

I regard he LM my favorite SPG property in Bangkok, still for many first timers the experience is not favorable. ... IMO the hotel makes up for that shortcomings regarding the location - especially as a plat. Just be aware of what to expect.
While the LM's location doesn't work for me, I agree with FoodieOnTour, PLT recognition is great.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Royal Orchid will always be my favorite. Every room with a view of the river. Access to the local boat/bus. Lovely patio dinner with Thai dancing show. Location beats every other amenity at all the other hotels. Next door is the Oriental where you can gaze on black and white photos of Bangkok 100 years ago. Posted on the walls of the garden bar.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Karen2
Royal Orchid will always be my favorite. Every room with a view of the river. Access to the local boat/bus. Lovely patio dinner with Thai dancing show. Location beats every other amenity at all the other hotels. Next door is the Oriental where you can gaze on black and white photos of Bangkok 100 years ago. Posted on the walls of the garden bar.
3000 SPG points or $30 & 1600 C & P. For redemption's it's a steal !
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Very early check-in

Flying in next weekend and will be in the city around 8:30am. Does anyone have experience in checking in that early? Which property? Did you pre-arrange it with the hotel?

My other options would be:

b) store luggage and head to the pool for a shower / some sun.

c) book the night before, get more nights!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:59 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Why not use Your24? If you are concerned with 4PM checkout them checking at 9. But if you happen to be 30 mins early, I doubt there will be a problem.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:07 am

Because I don't have that benefit - I'm not Plat75.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:01 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Got it. Well, in my experience at the WGS, before I had so many stays, it was never a problem. I often arrived at 6:30AM off of a red-eye from India and they had no problem checking me in for the reservation that by all right started only later in the day.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:29 am

Not one of my favourite properties, but definitely a good tip. Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
I have checked in at both the SGS and the LM early morning with no problem. I think if they have a room available then you can have it.

However as occupancy rates are very high at the moment I think there is a high risk that they will not have a room available at that time
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:21 pm

I've checked in early a bunch and I've generally been lucky (Starwood and others). I shoot them a couple e-mails 1st, concerning my arrival time. Don't know if it helps - but it certainly doesn't hurt. If the room isn't ready, I find that the perfect time for a 2 hr massage, especially after a long flight (Healthland is good and not far http://www.healthlandspa.com/asoke.html ). If I had to vote for the pool in BKK I'd like to hang out at, It would go to the SGS.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: QF SG
Originally Posted by remymartin
Flying in next weekend and will be in the city around 8:30am. Does anyone have experience in checking in that early? Which property? Did you pre-arrange it with the hotel?

My other options would be:

b) store luggage and head to the pool for a shower / some sun.

c) book the night before, get more nights!
Generally if the room is available they will let you check in. I did it around 8am at the 4 points in December.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:18 am

Pools that allow smoking in the sun lounge

Next questions for you experts. I know I'll send shivers through a few spines and pop a couple of nerves with this one... I thoroughly enjoy smoking while in the sun. Smoking by the pool has become somewhat prohibited and I want to choose a hotel where I can do that.

I know the LM doesn't allow that, I'm unsure of StR and SGS. Any ideas?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

May I add, that Christmas is in general not the best time for a great Bangkok/Thailand experience, since the country is full of tourists, squashing each others feet, fighting at the buffets and staffs are overwhelmed... service is mostly far beyond normal standards in these weeks.
...on the other hand, resorts are probably worse.
I was in Bangkok quite a bit during December and found it was significantly more enjoyable than what I've dealt with this February.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

Not sure what you mean, FoodieOn Tour. MRT is colocated with BTS at Sala Daeng, unless you're talking about Sam Yan station. I've never walked there.
There is some great local, mom and pop style food near the Sam Yan station (stay on the north side of Rama IV and head west over Phaya Thai and into the sois) at Sam Yan Market Chula Soi 34 and other small shops on Soi 50, Soi 48 and a few trok who's names I'm not aware of.

One warning is I do not recollect seeing much in the way of English menus. Either have some Thai language skills or bring someone who does.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by Lobster
I have checked in at both the SGS and the LM early morning with no problem. I think if they have a room available then you can have it.

However as occupancy rates are very high at the moment I think there is a high risk that they will not have a room available at that time
I have never had a problem checking in early at the SGS.

At the LM I tried to checkin early and they wanted to charge me a 1/2 day rate. I think it was about 7am.... I know it was kind of early.....anyways, after some discussions, they relented and let me check in with no fee. This was especially frustrating after previously emailing the hotel and being told that there would be no problem checking in early, assuming that a room was available.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
3000 SPG points or $30 & 1600 C & P. For redemption's it's a steal !
For my dates Royal Orchid is not avail C and P and is 4K a night. Between the Royal Orchid and LM is there any advantage to one over the other? Rates are comparable, as I have the LM and 2800 points $45 while the Royal Orchid is 4k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.