Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Search actually does work. You can search in thread, search in the SPG forum or use the Google Search option. Lots of ways to find information. If you need assistance in how to use the search options, let me know by PM.

I always take a taxi. Easy, cheap, quick.
I took limo which cost 1600 for merc e class. Much more comfortable and they know exactly taxis here know the W location and have to call the hotel to explain to taxi driver every time

Btw I won't stay here next time don't like this hotel but given the price can't complain.
The restaurant is a joke.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by correctioncx
I took limo which cost 1600 for merc e class. Much more comfortable and they know exactly taxis here know the W location and have to call the hotel to explain to taxi driver every time

Btw I won't stay here next time don't like this hotel but given the price can't complain.
It's always better to give a landmark/intersection along with the hotel's name.

As for your bolded [mine]: You're in Bangkok, why would you ever suffer a hotel resto?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by correctioncx

Just tell the taxi driver Sathorn Soi 10 and they'll figure it out...

I am at the W Bangkok now and I have to say I'm not as impressed as I hoped to be. The rooms are nice enough and breakfast was amazing, but the location is not great, the pool is not particularly good, and the Pad Thai I ordered last night from food service was terrible. How hard can it be to make a decent Pad Thai in Bangkok???
Old Feb 10, 2013, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37

As for your bolded [mine]: You're in Bangkok, why would you ever suffer a hotel resto?
Well, there doesn't seem to be anywhere decent to eat near the W. Unless you have some suggestions in which case I would certainly love to hear them!

If you're tired or busy or it's raining or it's 40 degrees outside or you can't get a taxi - none of which are, like, beyond the realms of possibility when you're in Bangkok - then you may just want to stay in or near your hotel.

This makes the hotel restaurant start to look pretty appealing although I have to admit that both the W's Kitchen Table restaurant and room service menus are disappointing and lacking in good Thai choices.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:47 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by ajca
Well, there doesn't seem to be anywhere decent to eat near the W. Unless you have some suggestions in which case I would certainly love to hear them!
Lek Seafood located on the other side of Chong Nonsi BTS station ... a two minutes stroll from the W Hotel. Great affordable food where you don't have to pay the ++ and the Pad Thai is around THB 50 ai.

Note the BTS escalator on the right

Grilled river prawns and cockles

Vegetarian dish (morning glory?)

Oyster omelet & Seafood glass noodle salad

... and many other delicious dishes. But I don't believe that dsquared37 likes the place

Last edited by Kalboz; Feb 10, 2013 at 9:53 am
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajca
Can't say I spend any time in the Silom corridor.

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Lek Seafood located on the other side of Chong Nonsi BTS station ... a two minutes stroll from the W Hotel. Great affordable food where you don't have to pay the ++ and the Pad Thai is around THB 50 ai.
But I don't believe that dsquared37 likes the place
We ate there once and weren't impressed by it. Since then I've attempted to return for another go but have been stymied by the mrs.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 7:06 pm
Suspended

We ate there once and weren't impressed by it. Since then I've attempted to return for another go but have been stymied by the mrs.
Any recomendation for similar establishments in Bangkok or Chiang Mai
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
First time in Bangkok

Hey guys,

I know it has been somewhat hashed already, but things change quickly it seems. So my girlfriend and I are going to be in Bangkok for 3 days before our jaunt to phuket. Both of us have never been to Thailand before, and I'd say she's not terribly adventurous. Also, I'm only spg gold so suites and what not do not matter to us. What do you guys think is the best hotel for our purposes (best standard room, close to most things). We're in our 30's to we're not looking to get crazy or anything. It seems like the SGS, ROS, or westin seem like the ones that make the most sense?

Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by exmike
Hey guys,

I know it has been somewhat hashed already, but things change quickly it seems. So my girlfriend and I are going to be in Bangkok for 3 days before our jaunt to phuket. Both of us have never been to Thailand before, and I'd say she's not terribly adventurous. Also, I'm only spg gold so suites and what not do not matter to us. What do you guys think is the best hotel for our purposes (best standard room, close to most things). We're in our 30's to we're not looking to get crazy or anything. It seems like the SGS, ROS, or westin seem like the ones that make the most sense?

Thanks!
This was "hashed" and re-"hashed" just last week, have a look back a few pages... I think right around Feb 6th there are some comprehensive and recent opinions.

This is a hot topic for many, with many strong opinions.... My vote would be the SGS; but in all honesty, all of the SPG properties in BKK are of a very high quality and standard for their respective brands, much higher than their comparable hotels in the US, etc.

Let us know what you pick.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by jkingsle
This was "hashed" and re-"hashed" just last week, have a look back a few pages... I think right around Feb 6th there are some comprehensive and recent opinions.

This is a hot topic for many, with many strong opinions.... My vote would be the SGS; but in all honesty, all of the SPG properties in BKK are of a very high quality and standard for their respective brands, much higher than their comparable hotels in the US, etc.

Let us know what you pick.
I guess I could have read more closely. After reading this and what seems like 15 other threads I booked 3 nights at the Le Meridian, partially because the C+P redemption right now is very affordable.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mario33
Any recomendation for similar establishments in Bangkok or Chiang Mai
I have a list of places I enjoy in Chiang Mai but they seldom get the tourist crowd and, while there is an English menu at most, there is little spoken English. If that's something that interests you I'd be happy to oblige your request.

The places I tend to go to in Bangkok are either out of the way, difficult to find or both so I usually refrain from recommendations.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 4:33 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)

The places I tend to go to in Bangkok are either out of the way, difficult to find or both so I usually refrain from recommendations.
Those restaurants are usually the best!

Last edited by yosithezet; Feb 12, 2013 at 7:57 am
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:16 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by exmike
Hey guys,

... It seems like the SGS, ROS, or westin seem like the ones that make the most sense?

Thanks!
If this is your first time to Bangkok, this photo from should give you an idea how close the WGS to SGS The dark structure behind the Westin is Terminal 21 mega-mall and hotel often referred to here as T21. Note the proximity of the elevated monorail station (Asok BTS station) to both.

Westin on the left facing the SGS - Courtesy of Andy Zingo
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:03 pm

Since it's in the picture - the Grand Centrepoint T21 is one H*ll of a hotel for 3600B.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
2 weeks ago, I stayed and Posted about how much I liked the SGS. This week, I tried to Plaza Athene.
This is also a very nice property. It is a bit older looking. But got a junior suite(plat upgrade benefit)
food was excellent and service great.
The Lounge on the 26th floor is amazing.
I highly recommend this property also.
It is located very close to the US Embassy (in case you think you will get into trouble)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.