Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 29, 16, 1:57 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: LIH Prem
Wiki Link
From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 23, 13, 10:01 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG LTP, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Some tend not to notice these things after a few drinks ....
With that in mind, and as you seem to be the only person out of all the Bangkok regulars on these boards that keeps finding these red light areas, maybe cutting back on the amount you consume may be in order ?.

Originally Posted by john11111111111 View Post
did mario33 have a bad experience? Were the goods not as described?
Old Jan 23, 13, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every city in the world has a red light district and some are far more obvious than others which are more hidden. Needless to say Bangkok had a history particularly during the Vietnam conflicts as a post for R&R: that being said today I don't think you are any more likely to run into a red light proposition in Bangkok than you are in London, Cologne, Vancouver, Sydney, or Buenos Aires. If you want to look for it you will find it- that being said I do find the area around Patpong to feel quite sleazy and thus would stay away from that zone unless there is some need to be there for work/etc.
Old Jan 23, 13, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM * AA Plat. * DL Nobody * Marriott LT Titanium & Ambassador * ICH Spire Amb.* HH Diamond *
Originally Posted by drron View Post
And Mario you must not have walked too far from the ROS-I certainly have had more offers in the area around there than near the SGS.
During my 100+ stays at the ROSH (I no longer stay at this property), and having walked extensively around the area, I was never offered 'special' services. No offers outside the PA either.
That's only my experience.

I never had much problem around the Aloft, the SGS and the WGS.

LMBKK is more challenging, but I am now used to it and get rid of the touts very quickly, by not looking at them and asking them to stop with my hand, when I see them walking toward me. Obviously, walking through Patpong during the evening will generate more of these offers, but if you keep walking, not looking at them and not talking back, these 'sales reps' will go away.
This being said, I would love for the LMBKK building (and staff) to be moved on the riverside, like they do for the mobile homes.
Old Jan 23, 13, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by UASPG View Post
LMBKK is more challenging, but I am now used to it and get rid of the touts very quickly, by not looking at them and asking them to stop with my hand, when I see them walking toward me. Obviously, walking through Patpong during the evening will generate more of these offers, but if you keep walking, not looking at them and not talking back, these 'sales reps' will go away.
You can avoid this by walking one more block to Soi Thaniya (which runs parallel to Patpong), where the touts are a bit more tame and have little interest in you if you're not Japanese.
Old Jan 23, 13, 2:47 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Sorry to have offended you Mario but I am just posting my experiences.I am usually walking during the day which may explain the differences in our experiences but i can assure you i was not being offered chicken and rice.
Old Jan 23, 13, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by drron View Post
Sorry to have offended you Mario but I am just posting my experiences.I am usually walking during the day which may explain the differences in our experiences but i can assure you i was not being offered chicken and rice.
You will find such offer for services anywhere and in many asian cities, sometimes even by your taxi or tuk-tuk driver. It's not quite the same as a street full of prostitutes parading themselves along Sukhumvit Road.

And if I may comment about the ROS location, I actually found it to be too dull. I have walked back to the hotel after dinner at some local restaurants, the entire neighborhood (apart from the immediate surroundings of River City) shuts down and you won't find a single soul on the street. The side streets are mainly residential. This would be the last place in Bangkok for a prostitute to base herself.
Old Jan 23, 13, 5:38 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
You will find such offer for services anywhere and in many asian cities, sometimes even by your taxi or tuk-tuk driver. It's not quite the same as a street full of prostitutes parading themselves along Sukhumvit Road.
And I stand by my comment that this is not what you'll find in front of the SGS and not what you'll find in front of the WGS or Terminal 21 until later in the night. You will find this lower down around Soi 3-7 even during the day, though still no parading.
Old Jan 23, 13, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
And I stand by my comment that this is not what you'll find in front of the SGS and not what you'll find in front of the WGS or Terminal 21 until later in the night.
My experience as well. The earliest I've seen any of this activity in that area is after Terminal 21 closes. And IME while it does exist along various sections of Suk, it's rare directly in front of either WGS or SGS. There is a bar/nightclub on the ground floor of SGS called BarSu. Often, the patrons step outside the door for a smoke (it's not permitted inside the building) and they are dressed as one might expect attractive girls to dress in a nightclub. That does not mean that they are available for rent.
Old Jan 23, 13, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
.....and they are dressed as one might expect attractive girls to dress in a nightclub. That does not mean that they are available for rent.
Are you sure
Old Jan 23, 13, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
And I stand by my comment that this is not what you'll find in front of the SGS and not what you'll find in front of the WGS or Terminal 21 until later in the night. You will find this lower down around Soi 3-7 even during the day, though still no parading.
I stopped walking down Suk on the odd soi side on my morning walk. I'd get propositioned at 9AM... while dripping sweat!!!
Old Jan 23, 13, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
I stopped walking down Suk on the odd soi side on my morning walk. I'd get propositioned at 9AM... while dripping sweat!!!
I stopped because it takes 20 mins to walk 2 blocks with all the schlock mongers selling the same cheap Chinese crap & knock offs under their tents which also block air flow. I walk in the street or on the other side.
Old Jan 23, 13, 7:41 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), SIA, Turkish Elite, Korean, Qantas
If you really want to avoid sleaze stay at the Plaza Athenee. Its close to the BTS but hasnt got the immediate entertainment options on the doorstep I enjoy its style and ambiance a lot more than many of the other SPG offerings. It also often much cheaper there to book a club room than many of the others to get a standard room. Its breakfast is superior to all the other SPG properties I have stayed at anywhere. However I also like the LM at Patpong for the entertainment value, get a cheap massage, sit in a club listening to bands and browse the markets. Ive even checked out the ping pong shows. Isnt it all part of the experience of Bangkok? I think the SGS is vastly overated, I dont like the pool, its crowded rooms are bland and for much of the day the traffic can be a pain if you want to take a taxi. Access is good to the BTS and Terminal 21 is good for a few visits which if you are only spending a couple of days is great but after that its humdrum. The Westin is a step down from the SGS though a decent enough hotel. There is sleaze all along Sukhumvit if you want it. If you dont its not obtrusive. I find the tailors more of a nuisance. I look at the views for about 10 minutes and then its passe.
Old Jan 23, 13, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by whackyjacky View Post
I stopped because it takes 20 mins to walk 2 blocks with all the schlock mongers selling the same cheap Chinese crap & knock offs under their tents which also block air flow. I walk in the street or on the other side.
During the day I would avoid walking on the odd side like the plague. At 9AM the first of the vendors are just beginning their setup. And the last of the 'professionals' are looking for one more sucker.

On a mid-afternoon stroll from Sukhumvit MRT to Aloft (with bags) I've contemplated crossing over to the even side to avoid all the shlock.
Old Jan 24, 13, 6:29 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
Ok, not right in front, more like 20 meters in any direction then.
Old Jan 24, 13, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Canuck2012 View Post
Ok, not right in front, more like 20 meters in any direction then.
Really? I have 35+ stays at SGS and haven't observed this. I know personally that several of the other posters above who have the same experience have far more stays there than I. Yosithezet has even more stays at WGS and also hasn't observed this. Not saying you're inaccurate, only that your observations seem to be a real outlier compared to the observations of others who stay in this location a whole lot.

Search this Thread