Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by yosithezet
LeM BKK: ... though I think they have sliding doors rather than a closing door.
My recollection, as well.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:50 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
To clarify, I agree that the ROS is probably best for them with the transportation and the fact that the only suite I saw wasn't very large being the downsides. mario33 has seen bigger suites so that point probably doesn't matter and leaves just the transportation which I know seanthepilot feels isn't a big issue at the ROS.

What I disagree with is that I think y'all are overstating the issue of the red light areas and wild nightlife.

Folks that stay at the SGS and use taxis and the BTS would really never be exposed to any of it.

The OP was concerned about having a door to close between the two rooms of a suite because the kids will go to sleep early and they don't want the adults to have to go to sleep also. So even when the sidewalks turn from vendors to pubs and lower Sukhumvit turns into a cesspool at 1AM or whatever, they won't be exposed to it. Stuff that is half a mile or quarter of a mile away is just that. It is there and you are here. Unless you specifically head there, you won't be exposed to it. I'm sure that in NYC we can find very nice hotels and draw a half mile radius and look and see that there are drug houses or some such nearby. You find what you are looking for. If you aren't looking for it, it won't track you down and find you.

Nobody said that Asok is the heart of Thai culture. We are discussing a number of hotel options. IF there was a Starwood property at Chidlom that was on par with the SGS or WGS I would likely be suggesting that hotel over the ROS because it would still be more convenient in my mind for transportation. The 3 year old and the 5 year old aren't going to notice the wares that are mentioned and certainly not be scarred for life.

As schley says, staying at these properties doesn't subject your children to abuse. If you paint this picture for my kids they would think you are talking about some place they never visited.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: SPG Plat 50+, Hyatt Diamond, United Gold
Wow. Very impressive volume of replies in a very short period of time. Thank you all for the numerous responses. Based on everything I've read, I'm going to go ahead and reserve the ROS. Since many of you guys seem to have dozens of stays there in the past, perhaps one of you would be so kind as to PM me the email address for the GM? I always find it best to send an email in advance of our stay so that we can try and get the right room that can accomodate us. Thanks all for the thoughtful replies!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
As for suites, are you willing to use your Suite Night Awards for this stay?
For this stay, I'm inclined not to use Suite Nights since we're on a 10 month RTW trip, and there are many places where the Suite Nights will likely be more valuable. My strategy instead will be to book a point stay for three nights, and hope that by emailing the GM, I can get confirmed to Exec Suite. If GM says not doable, then I'll book a 2nd room and ask for connecting rooms. At 4k pts per night, feels like you can't lose here.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:52 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
We have had many stays with children at Sukhumvit hotels such as SGS, LMPA, JWM, or even the 4P, and the red light district was never an issue because, as others indicated, you are either using the skywalk to BTS/T21 or in & out of the hotel in taxis. However, the ROS is still your best option due to its riverside location (fun for kids), easy access to Bangkok landmarks via river boats, and amenities (vast suites, pools, etc.). Their breakfast isn't the best SPG breakfast in Bangkok but it beats most SPG properties states-side hands down and you can partake by the river

Vast Executive Suites at non-tower floors with views to watch river traffic

Uninterrupted majestic river views

Breakfast by the river

Safe & comfortable complimentary shuttle boat ride to nearest BTS station (light monorail)

Awesome Platinum treatment including recognition of special occasions

Historical Portuguese Embassy next door where the kids-friendly pool is located

THB 15 (50 cents) boat ride away from the Grand Palace, Wat Po, Wat Arun, and other Bangkok landmarks

For more photos, see our complete set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7625539423944/

As for suite upgrade, if you don't get one, or if you get upgraded to the smallish "business suite" (which is really a Jr. Suite), check and see if you can be further upgraded using SPG points. A price list is provided at check-in listing all such offers and corresponding price in cash or points. This list also includes your SPG point balance. See my complete property report here.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:59 am

BTW yosithezet, reading your Thailand trip report now. Very useful. We're going to be going to Chiang Mai as well, so lots of good info in your report. Unfortunately looks like the LeM in Chiang Mai is unavailable for one of our three nights up there. Looks like I'll have to book the two nights and then use the Plat room guarantee to book the third. Or maybe just book one of the many fine options available in Chiang Mai.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by hgadhia
BTW yosithezet, reading your Thailand trip report now. Very useful. We're going to be going to Chiang Mai as well, so lots of good info in your report. Unfortunately looks like the LeM in Chiang Mai is unavailable for one of our three nights up there. Looks like I'll have to book the two nights and then use the Plat room guarantee to book the third. Or maybe just book one of the many fine options available in Chiang Mai.
Glad it is useful. Let me know if you want to contact the tour guide I used. He's great with kids.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Hi All - Was hoping to get a little help from some of the experienced Bangkok travelers on making a final hotel selection. I've done a lot of reading in the hotel specific threads here, but just hoping to confirm what I am understanding and get a recommendation or two. One thing I am having a harder time with is figuring out specifics of the neighborhood/locations of the hotels & if that should impact my decision.

Travel Preferences: Wife & I will be visiting Thailand with a week in Khao Lak followed by 2 night stay in Bangkok (Thr-Sat). 2 adults, 30 y/o, no kids. First time to Bangkok - not set plans yet, but we will likely spend our time exploring the city, checking out some of the main tourist "musts", and finding some tasty Thai restaurants. Night-life/bar scene is not our thing. We are the more relaxed type and would probably prefer a hotel neighborhood with ease of access to explore the city, get to good restaurants, markets/shopping, and get some R&R.

I'm Platinum +100 so the plat amenities of the hotel are a consideration. I'll put in a Suite Night Request for wherever we book. Late Checkout would help on this stay as we have a 5PM flight out of Bangkok. With the rates and/or points we'd use we feel value is more or less equivalent between the 3 from a cost perspective so really looking to determine what would be best given our preferences.

We are considering, probably in order of preference right now:

(1) Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit: - No Lounge, but the comp breakfast & evening drinks at the hotel bar seem to makeup for lack of lounge. Pool looks nice. Has Spa available if we want to use. I guess with the SGS, we are struggling a bit with what the pros/cons of this may be compared to the StR particularly from a location perspective?

(2) The St. Regis Bangkok - In terms of plat breakfast & evening wine service seems comparable to SGS in how the handle no lounge. Spa is available. Pool looks nice. Seems to be a common upgrade to Metropolitan Suite. Probably wouldn't use the butler service here much, but I must say something about that StR brand just makes you feel 'special' staying at their hotels. Some of the early StR reviews seem a bit spotty, but things seem like they are trending upwards after some potential growing pains. Again, really looking at pros/cons of StR vs SGS.

(3) Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers - We like the river location here, but are leaning towards the bit nicer hotels in SGS or StR. I think ROS may get a bit more consideration if we were traveling with children, but with just the 2 of us, I'm not sold on it yet. Unless the location and/or plat amenities of the RoS outweigh what we'd get out of the other two, I think we'd be okay taking transportation over to the river for a visit.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Last edited by TDCumm16; Jan 20, 2013 at 8:47 am
Old Jan 20, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TDCumm16

(1) Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit: - No Lounge, but the comp breakfast & evening drinks at the hotel bar seem to makeup for lack of lounge. Pool looks nice. Has Spa available if we want to use. I guess with the SGS, we are struggling a bit with what the pros/cons of this may be compared to the StR particularly from a location perspective?

(2) The St. Regis Bangkok - In terms of plat breakfast & evening wine service seems comparable to SGS in how the handle no lounge. Spa is available. Pool looks nice. Seems to be a common upgrade to Metropolitan Suite. Probably wouldn't use the butler service here much, but I must say something about that StR brand just makes you feel 'special' staying at their hotels. Some of the early StR reviews seem a bit spotty, but things seem like they are trending upwards after some potential growing pains. Again, really looking at pros/cons of StR vs SGS.

(3) Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers - We like the river location here, but are leaning towards the bit nicer hotels in SGS or StR. I think ROS may get a bit more consideration if we were traveling with children, but with just the 2 of us, I'm not sold on it yet. Unless the location and/or plat amenities of the RoS outweigh what we'd get out of the other two, I think we'd be okay taking transportation over to the river for a visit.
You will probably get different opinions from different members. My advice would certainly be SGS hands down, at least by a process of elimination. St R is risky in terms of the possibility of a spotty guest experience as you mentioned. ROS is not the best location for a first time visitor who would benefit from easy access to the skytrain and proximity to the main sites. The alternatives to the lounge that are offered by SGS are, in my opinion, better than having had a lounge in the first place. The pool and spa are excellent, and service is better than the other two options.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:20 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Hi All - Was hoping to get a little help from some of the experienced Bangkok travelers on making a final hotel selection. I've done a lot of reading in the hotel specific threads here, but just hoping to confirm what I am understanding and get a recommendation or two. One thing I am having a harder time with is figuring out specifics of the neighborhood/locations of the hotels & if that should impact my decision.

Travel Preferences: Wife & I will be visiting Thailand with a week in Khao Lak followed by 2 night stay in Bangkok (Thr-Sat). 2 adults, 30 y/o, no kids. First time to Bangkok - not set plans yet, but we will likely spend our time exploring the city, checking out some of the main tourist "musts", and finding some tasty Thai restaurants. Night-life/bar scene is not our thing. We are the more relaxed type and would probably prefer a hotel neighborhood with ease of access to explore the city, get to good restaurants, markets/shopping, and get some R&R.

I'm Platinum +100 so the plat amenities of the hotel are a consideration. I'll put in a Suite Night Request for wherever we book. Late Checkout would help on this stay as we have a 5PM flight out of Bangkok. With the rates and/or points we'd use we feel value is more or less equivalent between the 3 from a cost perspective so really looking to determine what would be best given our preferences.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Good order of preference ... it seems as you have done your homework. Location, IMO, is very important as to where you stay in Bangkok due to traffic and weather. Here is my take on the 3 properties you listed:

St. Regis Bangkok: Facing the Polo Club with expansive views of Bangkok and direct access to skytrain (light monrail) placing the entire city under your fingertips. If you are a SPG Platinum, there is a good chance you will get an Astor Suite facing the Polo Club. The Metropolitan Suites are nice but facing the back (many high-rise buildings next-door looking directly into the Met Suite). No SPG lounge but the best breakfast in town ... and, the other hand, spotty service and benefits at Decanter's happy hour.

Best SPG breakfast in Bangkok hands down

Astor Suite living room facing the polo club

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit: Excellent location right at the Asok intersection with direct access to skytrain and 100-m to a subway station. Great Platinum elite recognition and Grande Suite upgrades possibility. Preferably, get XX02 Grande Suite which are facing the Queen Sirikit park and "mini" lake. Adjacent to the shopping areas - Terminal 21. No SPG lounge but great breakfast at the main restaurant plus happy hour benefits at any hotel venue.

SGS Grande Suite

Happy hour live Jazz at the Living Room

Royal Orchid Sheraton: Awesome riverside location and excellent elite recognition and club lounge benefits at a huge discount. Complementary shuttle boat to the nearest skytrain station and two riverboat shuttle piers at either side of this property for easy access to the Grand Palace, Wat Po, Wat Arun, etc.

Majestic view of the river looking north from the club lounge

Executive Suite living room at ROS
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)

Thanks for any thoughts!
I'd go with the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. It is centrally located, connected to both the BTS and just across the street to the MRT. This will give you easy access to much of the city, and connections to some of the places you might want to see that are not connected to the BTS or MRT itself.

The pool at the SGS in my opinion is one of the nicest city based swimming pools anywhere. Great ambiance and the staff is very attentive. I enjoy having breakfast there (which is a platinum benefit). They have a nice breakfast buffet and to order menu -- granted it's not as extensive as the one in Orchid Cafe, although certainly great.

While there is no lounge at the SGS, you have options of several bars/lounges to have complimentary cocktails and snacks. You can switch it up each night, or check out all venues in succession -- it's really up to you. I actually prefer this option to a more traditional lounge -- the staff is great and you still get personalized service (they have great memories and all will know you after just one visit -- if not before).

My upgrade percentage at the SGS is very good, and I am confident that they are always upgrading Platinums to the best of their ability -- no funny business here what so ever.

There are many interesting restaurants near the SGS and many many more within 1-2 stops on the BTS. If your interested in some specific recommendations, I'm surre we all have opinions on this too.

As for shopping, Bangkok is awash with nightmarkets and high-end malls. Just across the road (connected via skyway) is the relatively new Terminal 21 mall. Just several stops down at Chit Lom and Siam BTS are Siam Center, Siam Paragon, Central World, and Gaysorn -- shopping for all tastes and budgets. If buying trinkets on the street, Sukhumvit has plenty of street vendors to pick from.

Late checkout for a 5pm flight shouldn't be a problem at any of the hotels, given your platinum status, as you'd probably be leaving the hotel at 2:30 or so, so that's well before the 4pm checkout.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I prefer the no-lounge approach of SGS. You have your choice of four locales for evenings drinks (The Sala by the pool, BarSu, The Living Room, The Library). All have full bar service, including cocktails as well as a selections of wines, bartenders and waiter/waitress service. I joined a friend at WGS for happy hour in the lounge there one evening, and, as is common in lounges, they had a limited selection of help yourself bottles. No mixed drinks. No bartender service. Many FTers like WGS, although it's not my style. It's directly across the street from SGS, so it, too, has very easy access to public transportation. When I'm in Bangkok, though, SGS is my home.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: Qatar Plat
I love the SGS pool area, a great sanctuary. The SGS is a more grown up hotel (but it's true, it can be a little sleazy - unless you have blinders on you'll see things), but it has great ambiance (ie. Jazz bar). The Orchid is also wonderful location with great views of the river life, and of course more tourist orientated. If you are going to be in the city for a few days, plan your trip to stay in both hotels! That way you can avoid the long train rides.

If first time in Bangkok, the Orchid is the way to go - riverfront location cannot be beat. Sure, the pool area is nicer at the SGS, but there's nothing to look at other than raised highways, towering concrete buildings, and endless traffic jams. Relaxing on one of the outdoor couches, watching the sun go down over the river with a cold drink and appetizer is much more preferable to me. Taking the free ferry ride from the hotel is a great attraction in itself. The in house Thai restaurant (be sure to ask which days they have the dancers) and spa are also quite good and reasonably priced. Oh, and if smog bothers you, the Orchid is better in that respect as well.

Last edited by Canuck2012; Jan 20, 2013 at 2:31 pm
Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Sphinx, Kalboz, jkingsle, Dr. HFH, Canuck2012 - You all are awesome! Thank you so much for the quick & very thoughtful responses. I really appreciate the help & sharing your experiences with Bangkok.

At least based upon the initial group of responses there doesn't seem to be any glaring reasons to go with StR over SGS given our preferences. After hearing a bit more about locations, it sounds like SGS will be very convenient for the immediate local neighborhood, but is also right on 2 public transportation options.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:09 pm

Looking at your preferences and timing, I would agree that the SGS is the way to go. Also post in the Starwood Meeting thread in my signature and you may meet up with some fellow FTers in town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.