Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2012, 1:26 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Just finished my 6 different stays in BKK. I had previously stayed at both the SGS, LM and Plaza Athenee and this time added 4 points, Westin and Aloft.

I still prefer the Plaza Athenee of those listed as it is more relaxed, has a nice club lounge, best breakfast and nice rooms. Getting cash and points may be difficult.

I dont think the Westin is as good as PA or SGS but location is OK. I think the SGS is not as good value as the PA but has the convenience of direct access to the BTS and Terminal 21.

The 4 Points was new but rooms were tiny and not so convenient to the BTS or Terminal 21.

The Aloft was a bit of a surprise, its quite new, the rooms are a good size and and it is very good value. I booked it with cash and points. The area has a bit of entertainment but the street can be pretty busy and the difficult to negotiate. Its a bit of a walk to the BTS but if you want there are lots of tuk tuks if it is hot or rainy. If you are looking for the best value stay it would be here.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 3:33 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Nice rundown of the options geminidreams. I remember a 4 stay trip where I stayed WGS, PA, LMBKK, WGS each for one night. I spent more time moving between hotels than I spent enjoying myself. I vowed not to do that again. I do miss my stays at the PA. Love the lounge and great breakfast!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by geminidreams

The Aloft was a bit of a surprise, its quite new, the rooms are a good size and and it is very good value. I booked it with cash and points. The area has a bit of entertainment but the street can be pretty busy and the difficult to negotiate. Its a bit of a walk to the BTS but if you want there are lots of tuk tuks if it is hot or rainy. If you are looking for the best value stay it would be here.
You can always request the Aloft tuk tuk to drive you somewhere local. Coming from BTS you might be relegated to other (payed) forms of transportation.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Nice rundown of the options geminidreams. I remember a 4 stay trip where I stayed WGS, PA, LMBKK, WGS each for one night. I spent more time moving between hotels than I spent enjoying myself. I vowed not to do that again. I do miss my stays at the PA. Love the lounge and great breakfast!
I needed 7 stays to make platinum so decided to do it in Bangkok just to see whether it adds much value as gold has been a bit of a disappointment in the upgrade stakes.

I chose the loop so it flowed a bit but its a real disruption to move so frequently. Dropped a big bag off at the Westin which made it a lot easier. After BKK ended up doing 3 hotels in 3 days in China. Got my first suite upgrade on my platinum !

Pity I didnt know about the platinum challenge and the inclusion of other rooms booked in my name being counted as nights as I could have Platinum in September and would probably split my time between PA and LM. Myy wife likes the nightly entertainment around Patpong !
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: Starwood PLATINUM, BA GOLD, KrisFlyer Blue, GFF Silver, BATS After Work Club, Emirates Silver
Of the ones i've stayed, considering all factors including price my ranking would be:

4 points
Westin
Sheraton Orchid
Aloft
Le Meridien
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I remember a 4 stay trip where I stayed WGS, PA, LMBKK, WGS each for one night. I spent more time moving between hotels than I spent enjoying myself. I vowed not to do that again.
Exactly why I don't do that (as I've said here many times before). Reminds me of thrashing in the early days of computers when the ratio of virtual to real memory got too high.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
My friend and I have an upcoming reservation at the 4P in a couple of weeks. For you folks that have stayed there, I understand there are two buildings, one with the pool & rooftop bar and the other is the "garden bldg".

Any recommendations on which building, floors, areas are best room wise? How is this hotel for upgrades? (I'm Plat.)
Old Nov 23, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA PP, MR LTTE, was HH/D now Gold
Thumbs up

staying in bkk on monthly basis; le meridien is the best choice for me:

BRG around 2500 THB++ almost available
C+P almost available
100% suite upgrade success to nice modern executive suite
no lounge - but unlimited drinks @bamoo chic bar for platinums, even the creative hour has passed; no charge for guests; also small food with free refill
excellent breakfast buffet
convenient location for bts, mrt (5 min walking), airport (40 min), entertainment and shopping

Originally Posted by geminidreams
Just finished my 6 different stays in BKK. I had previously stayed at both the SGS, LM and Plaza Athenee and this time added 4 points, Westin and Aloft.

I still prefer the Plaza Athenee of those listed as it is more relaxed, has a nice club lounge, best breakfast and nice rooms. Getting cash and points may be difficult.

I dont think the Westin is as good as PA or SGS but location is OK. I think the SGS is not as good value as the PA but has the convenience of direct access to the BTS and Terminal 21.

The 4 Points was new but rooms were tiny and not so convenient to the BTS or Terminal 21.

Old Nov 23, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA PP, MR LTTE, was HH/D now Gold
no platinum perks at aloft, small rooms, but good nite club inhouse

Aloft definitely recognizes Plats, but the perks are different than at other brands.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kenji
no platinum perks at aloft, small rooms, but good nite club inhouse
So you didn't get the 250 points?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by magendim
My friend and I have an upcoming reservation at the 4P in a couple of weeks. For you folks that have stayed there, I understand there are two buildings, one with the pool & rooftop bar and the other is the "garden bldg".

Any recommendations on which building, floors, areas are best room wise? How is this hotel for upgrades? (I'm Plat.)

I've just had a walk around the place. 8 storey building. Overlooks neighbouring condos/hotels so it's that sort of view. On the 6th floor zero street noise.

I'm not sure that there really is a difference between the pool and garden wing rooms. The gym/conference rooms/astroturf area is on top of the garden wing. The pool/bar/sunlounge is on top of the pool wing. You have to go down to the lobby to access either. They both have the same view of the WGS and SGS :P

My rooms are in the pool wing. Basic (Extra Comfy) room is very very decent, modern and spacious. Having just been in Aloft last week I'd say the rooms are the same size but the Aloft design is less traditional so it makes it feel larger. Aloft puts the bathroom/closet behind the the bedroom proper - think two long rectangles next to each other lengthwise whereas 4P has the traditional square bathroom next to entry.

I emailed requesting for an upgrade. Was pre-upgraded 2 days out to an Exec Suite for one of my rooms (initially a Studio Suite but changed to Exec Suite the day of arrival). A huge room with large living room and work desk with guest toilet, large bedroom, walk-in closet, long bathroom with two sinks, and free-standing jacuzzi tub with wall TV (features would I didn't expect). The Aloft Stylish Suite is actually about 25% smaller, but the decor is more hip . Depends what you like. Oh yes, you have to pay for the Aloft suite, no upgrades.

Plat privileges at 4P:
. daily buffet breakfast (6-10.30am)
. happy hour @ beer vault 5.30-7.30pm
. internet
. 3 pcs pressing per stay
. late checkout
. 250 pts or silk elephant
. suite upgrade

Well, the 4P has been consistently more expensive by about 600-800THB. But I wanted to try both.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
First time in Bangkok. I have the option of C&P at the St. Regis, the W, or the SGS in late January. I was thinking of staying at the W for two nights, and the St Regis for two nights to be in different areas of the city.

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:19 am

I would suggest targetting W and SGS but book St. Regis to overlap with the W stay. Once reports are in by early Jan of how well the W is doing on service you an decide whether to cancel the W or the St. Regis. Personally I'm not fond of the St. Regis.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by magendim

No difference, they were built the same time. I was able to access from the Garden Wing to the pool on the roof, every time I've stayed there. Just walk by the gym. Good for upgrades (I hear).
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any place to get my laundry done easily and affordably near the Royal Orchid?

And any other local businesses I should know about: restaurants, markets, etc?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.