Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:09 pm

Hi - I've looked through the starwood properties in BKK and have a question. I'm going to be there the last weekend in Feb, landing at 2300 and taking of at 1830. The LM looks to be right near the Grand Palace and Wat Pho, which I thought would be a good thing to do during my day in BKK, but doesn't seem to be close to the train lines.

In light of having 1 day to tourist around (eat somewhere, see whatever day sites I can) and needing to be there for at the airport at 1830 for an int'l flight (which I presume might be around rush hour), got any hotel recommendations?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by silam
Hi - I've looked through the starwood properties in BKK and have a question. I'm going to be there the last weekend in Feb, landing at 2300 and taking of at 1830. The LM looks to be right near the Grand Palace and Wat Pho, which I thought would be a good thing to do during my day in BKK, but doesn't seem to be close to the train lines.

In light of having 1 day to tourist around (eat somewhere, see whatever day sites I can) and needing to be there for at the airport at 1830 for an int'l flight (which I presume might be around rush hour), got any hotel recommendations?
what rate are you getting at the lm????also, do you have status with spg????
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:24 pm

The LM is THB 4250 for the night I'm there.

I'm a SPG Plat, and while I like nice hotels, I'm not concerned if I need to take a more convenient one for this 1 day trip. I'd like to be able to see what I can of the city in the few hours I'll be there. I can always just pay cash for a cheaper hotel non-spg if the location is better too.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Frankly, just about all of the properties are fairly convenient. You might consider staying at either the SGS (great breakfast buffet), Four Points or Westin, which are all near each other and near the Skytrain. You can then take the Skytrain in the morning to the river and take one of the River Taxis to most of the major sites. You could then go back to your hotel by 4 and take the Skytrain to the Rail Link to the airport.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:21 pm

If you wanna be down by the river anyway - why don't you be right on the river -the Royal Orchid Sheraton ! Using the C&P Rate it is a steal !
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
If you wanna be down by the river anyway - why don't you be right on the river -the Royal Orchid Sheraton ! Using the C&P Rate it is a steal !
And it is a great property.

If traffic is bad, you could always take a taxi to the Rail Link station and go to the airport that way. Either that or just leave extra time for the taxi ride. (Taxi's are so reasonable there too.)
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
For getting to the airport I would say the SGS. Usually takes 25-30 minutes, unless Sukhimvit Road is completely solid and as long as you avoid Monday or Friday rush hour that is unlikely. They just go down Sukhumvit Road to Nana, cross to the other side of Sukhumvit for a few hundred yards and with a quick right turn you are on the freeway.

From the airport is a different matter and I would say the Westin is probably the quickest.
MAN Flyer, sorry that I seem to have missed you over the past few weeks!!

Don't forget the BTS (Skytrain) and Airport Express. From SGS, walk (on an elevated walkway) directly from the lobby to the BTS Asok station. From Asok, take a Mo Chit train just a few stops (6 maybe??) to Phaya Thai, where you can get the Airport Express train. Very quick, very easy. No stops between Phaya Thai and the airport.

The only difference between WGS and SGS coming from the airport is the extra five minutes it takes after you pass WGS on Sukhumvit to get up to the light at Asoke to make the U-turn back down the other side of Suk to the SGS. Well worth it, IMO. I have stayed at the WGS only once, but it was disappointing. I have posted a detailed review in the WGS thread. OTOH there are plenty of people here who totally love the WGS. IMO you can't really go too far wrong at either property.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
MAN Flyer, sorry that I seem to have missed you over the past few weeks!!

Don't forget the BTS (Skytrain) and Airport Express. From SGS, walk (on an elevated walkway) directly from the lobby to the BTS Asok station. From Asok, take a Mo Chit train just a few stops (6 maybe??) to Phaya Thai, where you can get the Airport Express train. Very quick, very easy. No stops between Phaya Thai and the airport.

The only difference between WGS and SGS coming from the airport is the extra five minutes it takes after you pass WGS on Sukhumvit to get up to the light at Asoke to make the U-turn back down the other side of Suk to the SGS. Well worth it, IMO. I have stayed at the WGS only once, but it was disappointing. I have posted a detailed review in the WGS thread. OTOH there are plenty of people here who totally love the WGS. IMO you can't really go too far wrong at either property.
I'm w/you, I prefer the 4Points to the WGS & the SGS is worth every penny.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:26 am

Seems like ROS or SGS are the two best bets. If neither one of these is better from a transit factor for site seeing or hotel access, then I guess I might as well just take the ROS since its cheaper.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Seems like ROS or SGS are the two best bets. If neither one of these is better from a transit factor for site seeing or hotel access, then I guess I might as well just take the ROS since its cheaper.
good choice....i really like the ros....i used to stay there most of the time till the four points opened up....

suite upgrades changes are great at the ros & a room with a view of the river looks great in the evening....
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:41 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat

Royal Orchid Sheraton FOR SURE.

ON THE RIVER.

you can't go wrong. Take a boat up to the Palace and other sites, about a 30 minute ride each way.

The Sukhumvit hotels are nice, but remember, once you are back to the pier at the river, these hotels are about a 30 minute journey on the very busy 'SkyTrain'. The route between the river and Sukhumvit includes a TERRIBLE transfer at SIAM station from the Silom line to the Sukhumvit line. Long lines to board the train mean you may have to wait for the 2nd train before you can board... and at that point it's standing room, shoulder to shoulder...
With luggage, a poor idea, with the only redeeming factor that you have avoided traffic.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 1:22 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Absolutely agree with Sean

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Royal Orchid Sheraton FOR SURE.

ON THE RIVER.

you can't go wrong. Take a boat up to the Palace and other sites, about a 30 minute ride each way.

The Sukhumvit hotels are nice, but remember, once you are back to the pier at the river, these hotels are about a 30 minute journey on the very busy 'SkyTrain'. The route between the river and Sukhumvit includes a TERRIBLE transfer at SIAM station from the Silom line to the Sukhumvit line. Long lines to board the train mean you may have to wait for the 2nd train before you can board... and at that point it's standing room, shoulder to shoulder...
With luggage, a poor idea, with the only redeeming factor that you have avoided traffic.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:06 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I've read a bit of this thread and still can't make up my mind where to stay.
I am thinking mostly about the Plaza Athenee because it has a very good rate. Haven't seen much written about the PA though.

I'm looking for a hotel that is best for a leasure trip, touring the city, first time in Bangkok. I am only a lowly gold so I will not get the benefit of club access or free breakfast. So I guess I looking for the hotel in a convenient area, not to far from the sky train, and also somewhere close to breakfast options since I probably won't want to pay for the breakfast at the hotel.

Or is it worth it to pay for a club room? The PA has good rates for a club room, but i'm nt sure about the area. At the RO it's a good 1000 bat more for a tower room and you can get a suite for cheaper.. So I dont know if it's worth it. Maybe I can just get a cheaper breakfast nearby? I probably won't be around for the evening drinks/snacks.

Sorry for the confusing post.. Just looking for some goos advice
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by hcampana
I've read a bit of this thread and still can't make up my mind where to stay.
I am thinking mostly about the Plaza Athenee because it has a very good rate. Haven't seen much written about the PA though.

I'm looking for a hotel that is best for a leasure trip, touring the city, first time in Bangkok. I am only a lowly gold so I will not get the benefit of club access or free breakfast. So I guess I looking for the hotel in a convenient area, not to far from the sky train, and also somewhere close to breakfast options since I probably won't want to pay for the breakfast at the hotel.

Or is it worth it to pay for a club room? The PA has good rates for a club room, but i'm nt sure about the area. At the RO it's a good 1000 bat more for a tower room and you can get a suite for cheaper.. So I dont know if it's worth it. Maybe I can just get a cheaper breakfast nearby? I probably won't be around for the evening drinks/snacks.

Sorry for the confusing post.. Just looking for some goos advice
Good news - None of the Starwood hotels in Bangkok are badly located. It really comes down to personal preference if you want to be near Sukhumvit (Westin, Sheraton Grand, StR, aloft, Four Points), near the river (ROS), embassy area (PA) or Silom (LM).

Personally I don't much like the ROS area but the river can be compelling. The ROS is also further away from the Skytrain.

There's nothing wrong with PA. It's a big, full-service hotel with a rather nice pool if you appreciate that. The skytrain is 5 mins away on foot.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
PA is a great hotel. Had a stay there last month, as a Gold booked a club room and was upgraded to a suite. Fantastic breakfast buffet. Is only a 5 minute walk to the Skytrain. We preferred PA to ROS which had more of a family feel to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.