Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Old May 19, 2018, 6:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
The Athennee or SGS ? Any insights?

For a platinum first-time traveller to BKK
Athenee hard product > SGS hard product, but SGS service > just about anywhere.

I'd choose the SGS over almost any city hotel in the world, with the one caveat that their pool is often even colder than other Bangkok hotel pools which can be a bit irritating.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Athenee hard product > SGS hard product, but SGS service > just about anywhere.

I'd choose the SGS over almost any city hotel in the world, with the one caveat that their pool is often even colder than other Bangkok hotel pools which can be a bit irritating.
Ive got to ask having stayed at SGS a couple of times what exactly is the service that makes the difference because I must have missed it?
Old May 19, 2018, 5:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I spend ~250 nights per year in hotels and I've never come across another leader as obsessively service focused as Richard who leads from the front and who has created a team like no other in the world. Obviously it didn't resonate for you, but for me it's the full range from the pool service at La Sala, the almost obsessive quality of the Concierge (they tracked down a lost bag of mine in Helsinki this year when my airline couldn't be bothered), the amazing personality of the staff at BarSu, the many generous options at happy hour, the quality of jazz in the Living Room (and of the Sunday brunch in general) to simple things like the full room service menu being available 24/7 for breakfast or any other meal in any of 10 amazing cuisines.
LIH Prem, TravelinSperry and Kacee like this.
Old May 19, 2018, 6:27 pm

True it doesnt resonate with me. I like the comfort of the room, therefore the hard product and I enjoy what Bangkok has to offer in food and entertainment rather than hanging around a hotel, of over 200 nights in Bangkok I think I have only had 3 meals outside breakfast in the hotel Im staying at (though one of those was the seafood buffet at SGS which I thoughly enjoyed). Pretty much all the SPG hotels have their strengths but not sure why anyone goes to Bangkok to hang around a hotel. It is not a criticism of SGS but I think for many who dont do many activities in the hotel the service issue is not so important. While many rave about the pool at SGS for me who mainly wants to swim its not so functional. Breakfast is good but ambiance is like a zoo. Plats obviously have it better but not everyone is a plat. Im fond of Bamboo Chic at the LM though many dont so I guess it is all about taste and what one thinks is value.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by geminidreams
True it doesnt resonate with me. I like the comfort of the room, therefore the hard product and I enjoy what Bangkok has to offer in food and entertainment rather than hanging around a hotel, of over 200 nights in Bangkok I think I have only had 3 meals outside breakfast in the hotel Im staying at (though one of those was the seafood buffet at SGS which I thoughly enjoyed). Pretty much all the SPG hotels have their strengths but not sure why anyone goes to Bangkok to hang around a hotel. It is not a criticism of SGS but I think for many who dont do many activities in the hotel the service issue is not so important. While many rave about the pool at SGS for me who mainly wants to swim its not so functional. Breakfast is good but ambiance is like a zoo. Plats obviously have it better but not everyone is a plat. Im fond of Bamboo Chic at the LM though many dont so I guess it is all about taste and what one thinks is value.
Interesting perspective. It's not about "hanging around" the hotel; rather, it's the seamless and smooth perfection with which things run every day. So when you do need something, it gets done, and the effort involved is invisible. IME things at SGS run exactly the way that they're supposed to. Yes, if you want to swim laps for exercise, the SGS pool will not be what you're looking for. Breakfast at Orchid Café? Sure, it's crowded. But how has your service been? If ambiance at breakfast is important to you, presumably you will eat at Rossini's. I'm fairly certain (but not 100%) that one does not have to be SPG PLT to eat breakfast there. I think that the difference is that it's free for PLT members; while others must pay.

Bamboo Chic at LM is AOK for breakfast; and it's improved recently, too, under the new GM, Killian Donoghue, and Executive Chef Marco Cammarata, both of whom know what they're doing, IMO. But it has only a small fraction of the variety and choices of Orchid Café's breakfast at SGS. That said, I'm totally addicted to the hot bread pudding which is served daily at breakfast at LM.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Bamboo Chic at LM is AOK for breakfast; and it's improved recently, too, under the new GM, Killian Donoghue, and Executive Chef Marco Cammarata, both of whom know what they're doing, IMO. But it has only a small fraction of the variety and choices of Orchid Café's breakfast at SGS. That said, I'm totally addicted to the hot bread pudding which is served daily at breakfast at LM.
Bamboo Chic as a bar. Yes we all have different perspectives. I am more cost conscious an want value for money with most of my stays being BRGs. If not a plat I would not pay for any of the breakfasts. Fortunately most of my visits were as a plat. To be honest I havent had a bad stay in any of the SPG hotels in BKK though I have always had a preference for the Athenee and like the LM only if Im in a suite.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:06 am

Perhaps more than most destinations, if not all, the experience in Bangkok is closely related to return visits/frequency of stays. I get wonderful treatment from the ROS ( really never failed for a suite of some description), probably related to the fact I've been staying there since the week it opened in 1986. Also have great experience at Westin, PA, LeM, even StR ( all with great upgrade recognition). Aloft and Four Points I stay when I want something 'cheap and cheerful' ( and they are fine for that). SGS never worked for me and I can't see why people pay a premium for it . Tried it a few times and thought it highly overrated. But other people seem to enjoy it ( probably those who have a history there, I guess). It's understandable that hotels give priority to frequent/returning guests.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Has anyone stayed at the Dusit Thani recently? They are having a sale on rates when I'm going to Bangkok. I almost exclusively have stayed Starwood when in Bangkok - but Starwood rates have crept upward and you pay a premium for rates with late cancellation policies while the Dusit Thani is 1/2 their price and I can cancel day before. Worthy hotel? (No need to describe locale - I'm quite familiar with Bangkok). Just want to know about hotel, pool, gym, breakfast, etc.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:07 am

It's still open?

Hotel as it stands will close on 16 April 2018, but the Dusit Thani legend will continue in new property inspired by the hotel’s legacy and distinctive designDusit Thani Bangkok, the flagship hotel of Thailand-based, global hospitality company Dusit International, will officially hold its last day of operations in its current form on 16 April 2018, bringing to a close a successful first chapter some 48 years in the making.To commemorate the hotel’s rich hospitality heritage and celebrate its status as one of Bangkok’s legendary hotels, the property is arranging a series of special events and promotions designed to thank its loyal guests and customers, highlight the influence the property has had on Thailand’s tourism industry over the years, and reveal how the new version of the hotel, set to open as part of a mixed-use development in 2022, will continue this legacy.One highlight of the series is the Wedding Memories promotion. All couples who have held a wedding reception at the hotel since it first opened in 1970 are invited to enjoy a complimentary three-course set lunch or dinner at the hotel. To redeem the promotion, couples are kindly requested to show a picture of their wedding reception prior to dining.The couples will also receive a copy of the ‘Thai Way of Life: The Dusit Cookbook,’ and a privilege card granting them 27 per cent off food (a la carte and international buffet) from now until 15 April 2018.Anyone who books to stay at the hotel via www.dusit.com before 31 December 2017 will receive Dusit Best Rate Guarantee, a free upgrade to the next room category upon availability, complimentary early check in after 6am and late check-out until 6pm, and one daily BTS ticket per person.For bookings made by 31 August 2017 on stays made by 31 October 2017, the hotel is also offering its Superior Room, including complimentary upgrade to a Dusit Room (executive suite with living room – 60 sq m) upon availability, for the special price of only 4,800 baht per night inclusive of breakfast for two.Founded by Thanpuying Chanut Piyaoui and opened on 27 February 1970, Dusit Thani Bangkok was once the city’s tallest edifice and largest hotel. A new landmark for the capital, the hotel pioneered five-star hospitality inspired by authentic Thai values and ushered in a new era of tourism for the city, revolutionizing dining, entertainment and even the way people organized wedding receptions in the process.“Dusit Thani Bangkok is an icon made everlasting through all those who share its history, and we are sincerely grateful to everyone over the years who has made the hotel a resounding success,” said Ms Sukanya Janchoo, General Manager of Dusit Thani Bangkok. “The special series of events and promotions we are introducing have been specially designed to thank our guests, staff and stakeholders for their loyal support, as well as commemorate the hotel’s rich heritage which will be carried over into our exciting new chapter to come. The Dusit Thani legend will continue.”The new Dusit Thani Bangkok will form part of a new mixed-use development to be built in partnership with Central Pattana PLC. Alongside the hotel, the project will feature residences, retail areas, office spaces, and a large green space. In keeping with the original Dusit Thani, many of the original hotel’s trees will be incorporated in the new build, as will its distinctive, handcrafted teakwood décor, historical ornaments, and the property’s famous spire.In preparation for construction of the new hotel, the development will start on land adjacent to Dusit Thani Bangkok, next to Rama IV road, which currently houses derelict buildings. The new hotel is expected to complete in 2022, followed by the rest of the project by 2024.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
It's still open?
Ha! Now I know why it's so cheap. Likely demolition starts while I'm sleeping Sunday morning
Old May 20, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
It's still open?
The closing has been pushed back to Jan 2019. https://www.ttgasia.com/2018/01/08/d...-closing-date/
Old May 20, 2018, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't think I've seen location mentioned in this recent discussion, and for me that's especially important in Bangkok because of the traffic and heat. IMO SGS has an absolutely ideal, central location with direct connection to BTS and Terminal 21.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Know this is the SPG forum, but any SGS lovers who have also done the JW? Curious about any points of comparison. My ~8 year streak of doing the SGS on my annual BKK trip may come to an end due to needing to rack up all Marriott nights going forward this year. Thx.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Know this is the SPG forum, but any SGS lovers who have also done the JW? Curious about any points of comparison. My ~8 year streak of doing the SGS on my annual BKK trip may come to an end due to needing to rack up all Marriott nights going forward this year. Thx.
Look at the Bangkok Marriott-family hotel thread on the Marriott forum. The wiki at the top of the thread lists the hotels and provides basic information about each, such as location, CL access, typical UGs and general consensus, both pros and cons.

The general consensus is the JW is not as nice as some of the other Marriott properties in Bangkok. Different people have different preferences, but most rank the Ren, Marquis and Soi 57 as better properties than the JW. If location is the most important, the Ren might be right. The Marquis is adjacent to Queen's Park which might be helpful with a kid. Personally I like the Soi 57 best, but have had great stays at all three. Each has a great CL, although kids are usually not allowed after 17:00, and the Marquis and Soi 57 usually UG to a two room suite with an extra half bath at Soi 57. Technically you cannot have a third person in the room - no rollaways allowed - but people have indicated the hotels have permitted this in the past. The Soi 57 has some small, good, inexpensive take-out places steps outside the hotel.

Last edited by CJKatl; May 20, 2018 at 11:02 am
Old May 20, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I actually was just about to book the JW for the first time today... then got this notice: "Please note - Hotel transformation in progress with expected completion September 2018. Work may be noticeable. For the comfort of hotel guests, noise limited to 10am-12noon and 2pm-5pm daily."

As I am coming this summer, decided to choose the Athenee nearby instead. One of my fave properties in Bangkok and I saw no reason to chance the potentially "noticeable" noise at the JW.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.