Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Go for st regis or athenee hotel.
I wouldn't describe Athenee as modern.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
The surrounding area of the W has improved quite a bit during the past few years. It now has:

- The House on Sathorn http://www.thehouseonsathorn.com/

- The Mahanakhon Cube building http://www.mahanakhon.com/bd_cube.php with:

FLOOR 6 – VOGUE Lounge (evening bar & dining)

FLOOR 5– L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon (fine French dining)

FLOOR 4 – Morimoto (fine Japanese dining)

FLOOR 2 - M Krub (fine Chinese dining)

FLOOR G – Dean & DeLuca (all day cafe & gourmet marketplace) - the largest D&D in Bangkok

- Sathon Soi 10 with Clandestino Cantina, http://www.revolucion-cocktail.com/ , Revolucion Cocktail and Marcel restaurant http://marcel.business.site/

- Sathon Soi 12 with Le Cafe des Stagiaires https://www.facebook.com/csbangkok , Kai New Zealand http://www.kai-bangkok.com/ , (not Just) Another Cup

- The Mahanakhon Tower http://www.mahanakhon.com/home.php with the Bangkok Edition hotel opening soon Bangkok: Premiering 2018 | Edition Hotels

- The Embassy of Myanmar, to get a visa, if your trip includes a trip to that country
remymartin and TravelinSperry like this.

Last edited by UASPG; Feb 16, 2018 at 7:39 am
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
The W is nice. I would stay there again but have only stayed in the Jne Suite (upgrade) and Marvelous suite (SNA) which were both good. When needed the staff are helpful and pleasant.. The BTS is easy to access though not quite as convenient as SGS. I like the LM suites which are very nice but I am not excited by the standard rooms. The BTS is not as convenient to access as the W but it ok. I like a few days around Patpong. PA is nice and is a short walk to BTS with access via the building at the BTS. Westin is a little Drab but easy to get to BTS via Robinsons or Terminal 21. It is opposite to SGS so location wise they are the same. SGS rooms are actually similar in size to PA though I prefer PA decor. BTS is certainly convenient. StR has the nicest hardware and is accessible directly from BTS. They are all good in their own ways and you could select any one of them and have an enjoyable stay.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:50 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I agree that you described the LM on Surawong perfectly. Access to the Skytrain/BTS is much better at the W as you don't have to traverse Patpong. That said, I've never stayed there. If W suits your style, it doesn't suit everyone, then it seems like a good choice.

The WGS is more business modern and subdued. You will get excellent treatment, but I think for you I'd choose between SGS and W.

Based on the style you prefer, go fo the W. But for a first trip to BKK I think the SGS will do a better job of impressing you as a destination hotel.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:04 am

I have a quick overnight stay coming up. Have booked at the Four Points Bangkok.

Anyone stayed there before?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:51 am

The Four Points is fine for what it is....a good 3.5-4 *, well-located ( 5-6 minutes to BTS, not noisy, clean and comfortable, decent breakfast ( no idea about pool or fitness). And good value @2,650 B for much of the next few weeks
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:19 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Indeed, nothing wrong with the Four Points if cheaper than other options and in your target price range.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wouldn't describe Athenee as modern.
​​​​​​​At least it was modernised. and I personally found it very nice after the renovation. (Actually Im kind of W guy.)

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Feb 15, 2018 at 3:57 am
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by paolo64
The Four Points is fine for what it is....a good 3.5-4 *, well-located ( 5-6 minutes to BTS, not noisy, clean and comfortable, decent breakfast ( no idea about pool or fitness). And good value @2,650 B for much of the next few weeks
If finding at that price I'd agree however I'm not seeing anything under 3300++ until early March.

[Bolding mine]
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Interesting, -- I always get off the MRT at Silom, as it is colocated with Sala Daeng. Sam Yan never occurred to me. I'll give it a try.
Another one who always uses Silom for MRT to/ from LM. I just checked the map, and indeed Sam Yam is closer to the hotel.
Thank you!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I have a quick overnight stay coming up. Have booked at the Four Points Bangkok.

Anyone stayed there before?
I stayed at the FP last year, for the price they ask it's a decent choice. Small rooms, nothing really special. The pool on top is very nice although it's not heated so can get cold, very nice bar next to it with platinum HH and good food. Breakfast pretty okay, nothing fancy. There is also Hooters just next door which used to be the place to go for nearly all hotel guests rather than the hotel restaurant.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
If finding at that price I'd agree however I'm not seeing anything under 3300++ until early March.

[Bolding mine]
Yes, you are correct. When I looked again it was for later @ that rate..and even then only for limited dates, some of which coincide with my plans. Still something of a bargain though and as summer approaches I guess we will see rates drop across most properties in Bangkok.
I don’t complain too much Bangkok rates as the past few years have been pretty good.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by paolo64

Yes, you are correct. When I looked again it was for later @ that rate..and even then only for limited dates, some of which coincide with my plans. Still something of a bargain though and as summer approaches I guess we will see rates drop across most properties in Bangkok.
I don’t complain too much Bangkok rates as the past few years have been pretty good.
Bangkok rates are going up but there are deals to be had, just not during high season anymore. And I haven't been able to put together a decent BRG in some time either.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:22 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Bangkok rates are going up but there are deals to be had, just not during high season anymore. And I haven't been able to put together a decent BRG in some time either.
BRGs are not getting easier, but can still be found if you work at it. My BRGs for Jan - May 2018:
Athenee 4400-4800
Sheraton Sukhumvit 3700
Meridien 3200-3400
Westin 3000-3100
Royal Orchid Sheraton 2100
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Hi all,

First time poster ..... I booked a 3 nights stay at The Athenee BKK in about 1 month time

Hope for a good stay there. So far the Luxury Collection hotels brand have been very good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.