Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by kodansha999
Plaza Athenee
Lounge is great. Room is very comfortable, location is also close to Ploenchit BTS and you can also walk to Siam by foot.
I agree and is certainly one of my favourites but if making a mealout of the dinner snacks is important the the Westin is a better choice as the food offerings are more diverse and filling.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
PA has hired a lot of new people for club lounge including new head - food was fairly robust when I was there last
month. New head said they were trying to up game as property moves to LC. Not sure what foodnm was like before but infar preferred it to Westin when I stayed there in Feb
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by geminidreams
I agree and is certainly one of my favourites but if making a mealout of the dinner snacks is important the the Westin is a better choice as the food offerings are more diverse and filling.
I like the westin, but food option wise, Plaza Athenee is better. But my favorite is the Marriott Marquis Queen Park especially one can get a rate of around 3k THB with their LNF program.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
What would be the best Starwood choice in Bangkok for a couple with the following ranking of importance:

1 Lounge. Must serve Singha and enough food options to create a dinner (wife's insistence)
2 Number of points required to redeem
3 Location...close to BTS
4 Room cleanliness, size and age
I'd recommend the Westin.
1. The food selection at the Westin was certainly enough to make a dinner out of it, at least in December 2015. I don't remember their beer selection.
2. 10k/night
3. The stairs to the BTS are literally right outside the hotel. The MRT is also a few minutes walk away, if that matters to you.
4. The room is a good size, and very clean. The building is old by Bangkok high rise standards, but you wouldn't know it without being told.

As a side note, there's lots of good an inexpensive food in Bangkok. You might want to consider a few dinners out of the hotel.

I personally enjoy staying at the Le Meridian. It doesn't have a lounge, but it has a great unlimited tapas/drinks happy hour that's free for platinum guests (as of Feb 2017).

Happy travels.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
What would be the best Starwood choice in Bangkok for a couple with the following ranking of importance:

1 Lounge. Must serve Singha and enough food options to create a dinner (wife's insistence)
2 Number of points required to redeem
3 Location...close to BTS
4 Room cleanliness, size and age
For SGS, against your requirements:

1. No lounge. Three different venues for PLT Happy Hour (well, technically, four, but two are colocated, so three), one of which is outside by the pool. Full bartender (including mixed drinks) and waitperson service at all of them. Regular cocktail hors d'oeuvres which vary daily (two every day) along with munchies like tarot sticks, nuts, etc. Not enough for dinner, but you can order from any of the restaurants at any of the PLT Happy Hour venues, and all have all the menus.

2. 10,000 per night. Category 4, same as LM, W, PA and WGS.

3. Covered walkway above the street directly from the hotel lobby (which is on the second floor) into the BTS Asok station.

4. Rooms spotlessly clean, renovated within the last 18 months, I believe.

I expect that you'll enjoy either the WGS and SGS. Both have their loyal fans here. They're different, of course, each with its own feeling or aura. There are enough reports about each posted here on FT that you should be able to get a pretty good idea of what each is like.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:46 pm

Thinking of doing a 5-night stay in BKK and deciding between PA vs. SGS.

Most important for me is the hardware/hard product

I have stayed at StR previously, and I read from this thread that StR > SGS and PA > SGS in terms of hardware.

What's the consensus on PA vs. StR hard product so I have a reference point from my StR stay (which was excellent).

Thanks
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by echelone

I have stayed at StR previously, and I read from this thread that StR > SGS and PA > SGS in terms of hardware.

What's the consensus on PA vs. StR hard product so I have a reference point from my StR stay (which was excellent).

Thanks
I was at the PA last weekend which was the first weekend after the rebrand to Luxury Collection so I guess we should start calling it TA now. I've also stayed twice at the StR.

The hard product is better at the StR.

TA has been thoroughly refurbished but this still leaves the wood in the rooms and the marble in the common areas that give it a more tired look. TA reminded me of the Hongta in Shanghai which is an old StR also rebranded as Luxury Collection but in somewhat worse condition. Seems these Luxury Collection properties are consistent in their faded heritage grandure. The StR is clearly a much newer property.

Having said that, I'd give the breakfast at TA a higher mark than the StR and it does have a lounge with good food and drink for two hours in the evening if you're a Platinum whereas the StR's Platinum drinks in the lobby are less extensive.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I actually really like PA's hard product - but was there in July before the reflag. I had a suite that I thought was gorgeous (lots of reds and ample plugs) and the club lounge under Nick very well done. PA and SGS have now replaced LM and Westin as my go to places in BKK. Love both.

The Hongta, on the other hand, is one of my least favorite properties in the system. Even when it opened as a St. Regis it is was underwhelming. Just try parking in the parking lot and you will understand how poorly designed the place is.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:05 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by echelone

Thanks
I think we need more information to give proper advice.

Do you expect to be in a standard room? Do you have status?

SGSs strong point is service. Members here like their suites, but the rooms are NOT the SGSs strong points. However, the public areas are really awesome.

The PA also has opulent public areas. I liked the suites because they had more of an 'home' feeling than other places with their hotel feel. The standard rooms were sparsely furnished, but still nice. The lounge is spacious, quite great, actually.

What do you mean by hard product? Room, bed, washrooms, technology and tvs, or marble,, drapes, sofas, or public areas? Contemporary, modern?

I can think of a few hotels in Bangkok with a great hard product, none of which I find on SPG!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
SGSs strong point is service. Members here like their suites, but the rooms are NOT the SGSs strong points. However, the public areas are really awesome.
AFAICT, SGS has fairly large standard rooms, much larger than average.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
To me, as a local resident, i thought SR has the best 'hard poduct'.

However PA's hard product after massive renovation (now TA) comes extremely close as 2nd.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:48 am
kkl

love STR hard product especially suites. if im right, STR plat is only entitled to 1 drink per night per guest?

Love the JW gold cocktail though
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
AFAICT, SGS has fairly large standard rooms, much larger than average.
PA, Westin and SGS standard room sizes are all similar from my experience.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by kkl
love STR hard product especially suites. if im right, STR plat is only entitled to 1 drink per night per guest?

Love the JW gold cocktail though
StR in Bangkok has (IIRC) 90 minutes of drinks and cold cuts in an area on the ground floor for Platinums each evening. Nothing too elaborate but we managed to get through a good five or six drinks each when we were there ;-).
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:21 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Standard rooms (SqM)

4PT.........30, 32-38
AL..........32
ROS........36
LM..........36-37
PA..........38, 44, 46, 55
SGS........40, 45
W...........41 / 47
WGS.......42-45
StR.........47-65
LMBKK....48 (Out of city limits)

SUITES - Standard upgrade / Other suites (SqM)

4PT........48 / 74, 62-74, 103
AL..........60 / 142 (no comp upgrade)
W...........64 / 84, 188, 215
ROS.......70 / 55*, 243 (*Jr Suite, 70SqM is Plat UG)
LM.........77 / 165
WGS......70, 68 / 160
SGS.......70 / 100, 130, 117
StR........80, 103, 116, 152, 170, 250, 500-800
PA..........86 / 100, 124, 190, 350
LMBKK...103 (Out of city limits)
MSPeconomist and remymartin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.