Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:55 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Keyser
where are you finding these brg rates????
I use Hotelscombined.com and Galahotels.com(but I heard they are rejecting gala now) after which I will try trivago, kayak, and read the best rate guarantee thread for other ideas.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by geminidreams
I use Hotelscombined.com and Galahotels.com(but I heard they are rejecting gala now) after which I will try trivago, kayak, and read the best rate guarantee thread for other ideas.
i use hotelscombined as well & regularly post on the brg thread but have not found the kind of rates jpdx mentioned....i am however holding a brg for the ros in april but its nowhere near the thb 2k rate....
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:19 am

I have seen it as low as $38 2 days out from a stay. I regularly see rates equivalent to 2400 but I prefer no suite at Aloft.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:02 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'll disagree here. This is the only Starwood in Bangkok, I believe, with reports that if they cannot upgrade PLT at checkin, they'll call you within a day or two and offer a suite upgrade as it becomes available.
Be honest doc! Remember the question was specifically about upgrade chances.

Answer this question.

Do you think that, on a daily basis, there are far more Platinums checking in then there are suites?

My experience is that the answer is an overwhelming yes. And that these suites are allotted to the:
1) Sweet upgrade e-coupons that some of the Plats get.
2) Guests that frequently stay at this hotel, Platinum or not
3) Other Plats, if available
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I dont know if I would say the W has anything distinctly Thai. I really like the breakfast.
Oy, don't get me started. I thought that the breakfast here was awful. Not unlike everything else in the hotel, they seem to pay far more attention to appearances at breakfast than to substance. Take omelettes. The omelettes are made to a specific size and shape to fit precisely on the nice, curved omelette plates. A little too precisely. They fit exactly, but with barely inch all around the omelette to the edge of the plate. If yours moves around the plate a little when you cut a piece off, it's right off the edge of the plate.

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Be honest doc! Remember the question was specifically about upgrade chances.

Answer this question.

Do you think that, on a daily basis, there are far more Platinums checking in then there are suites?

My experience is that the answer is an overwhelming yes.
I completely agree. But I also observe a number of anecdotal reports in the appropriate FT forums of people not receiving suite upgrades at checkin but being called by the front desk within a day or two to be offered a suite upgrade as one has become available. Personally, I prefer not to change rooms once I'm unpacked, and have only taken advantage of such an offer once, relatively recently, too.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:09 am

Oy, don't get me started. I thought that the breakfast here was awful. Not unlike everything else in the hotel, they seem to pay far more attention to appearances at breakfast than to substance. Take omelettes. The omelettes are made to a specific size and shape to fit precisely on the nice, curved omelette plates. A little too precisely. They fit exactly, but with barely inch all around the omelette to the edge of the plate. If yours moves around the plate a little when you cut a piece off, it's right off the edge of the plate.
I think the W breakfast has a nice ambiance and they have excellent variety which is rotated each day. I dont have a problem with the omlet plate as as soon as it arrives I throw the omlet onto my main food plate.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dont have a problem with the omlet plate as as soon as it arrives I throw the omlet onto my main food plate.
Exactly. Why should you have to? That's what happens when you prioritize appearance over functionality instead of seeking a reasonable balance.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:30 pm

Exactly. Why should you have to? That's what happens when you prioritize appearance over functionality instead of seeking a reasonable balance.
I guess its because you order the eggs at the table rather than stand in a queue . When in Queue you get the omelet on the plate you put everything else on but delivered to the table when you already have a plate of everything else means that a small plate can be easily placed whereas a second large plate requires reorganisation of the table to place it. Therefore I never notice as I just toss the omelet on the bigger plate. If the omelet was to be main course then I can see the plate size being a problem but I could then use the time that was spent not standing in a queue to just get a bigger plate along with some condiments.

For me their breakfast is one of the things of appeal for the hotel along with the Marvelous suites where I am quite happy to burn SNAs for my typical 4 - 5 night stays. My main gripe is the building next door that provides access to the BTS turns the escalators off on weekends and late at night.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... delivered to the table when you already have a plate of everything else means that a small plate can be easily placed whereas a second large plate requires reorganisation of the table to place it.
Unless, of course, you're only having an omelette and coffee. Then the plate doesn't work.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Unless, of course, you're only having an omelette and coffee. Then the plate doesn't work.
Put your omelette in your coffee Doc!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:12 pm

If the omelet was to be main course then I can see the plate size being a problem but I could then use the time that was spent not standing in a queue to just get a bigger plate along with some condiments.
I guess the omelet plate isnt the biggest problem to overcome and given the eggs are by order you could request delivery on a big plate.

For me the W is a value thing. If I can book it for less than 3500 baht its good value and I enjoy staying there. If I had to pay 5000 then I dont consider it value compared to the other options. This goes for PA and SGS. I would consider it for the StR but then would think the better of it and book LM or Westin instead.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess the omelet plate isnt the biggest problem to overcome and given the eggs are by order you could request delivery on a big plate.
Yes, if I knew in advance about the precise plating.

For me the W is a value thing. If I can book it for less than 3500 baht its good value and I enjoy staying there. If I had to pay 5000 then I dont consider it value compared to the other options. This goes for PA and SGS. I would consider it for the StR but then would think the better of it and book LM or Westin instead.
At under 3,500 baht, I would agree with you, -- good value. I paid about 1,000 more than I normally pay at SGS.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:13 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
5.5 for Jr suite seems ok for me at 4Points.

My Choice:
SGS/ Mridien SURAWONG tie for first place in service.
Plaza Athenee has nice rooms but the service and club lounge have been better in the past.
Westin has the smallest lounge but the best offerings, service is consistent as well.

St. REGIS offers the best upgrades/ rooms. Breakfast was disappointing though.

I avoid ROS, W, Lm suvarnabhumi
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:53 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Yes, if I knew in advance about the precise plating.
But you know now. So it seems that it is something that would happen on a first morning and thereafter not happen again.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
But you know now. So it seems that it is something that would happen on a first morning and thereafter not happen again.
You're absolutely right. I guess that my beef is that when a single serving dish is served to you on a plate, it shouldn't require an additional plate if you actually want to eat it. People who prepare/sell/serve food need to remember the logistics; and far too often, they don't. I have the same reaction when served a sandwich which is taller than my (or any) mouth can get around, thus requiring it to be disassembled and eaten with a knife and fork.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.