Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks for all the great advice!

Slight update on my part - my wife qualified for Gold just the other day. Does that change opinions on which SPG BKK hotel is preferred?

I am going to look at non-SPG options also but it looks like the Siam and others maybe out of budget...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by rkj2106
Thanks for all the great advice!

Slight update on my part - my wife qualified for Gold just the other day. Does that change opinions on which SPG BKK hotel is preferred?

I am going to look at non-SPG options also but it looks like the Siam and others maybe out of budget...
I got upgraded at SGS from a standard room to one with butler service. Never received any other benefits from the other hotels over normal gold benefits. If you have the points and want good value then I suggest look at the suites at LM or PA. Personally I don't find any of the hotels to have great views but both the above are very nice hotels and conveniently located to getting around BKK.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Bangkok is one of those cities where there are fantastic hotels all over, several on Condé Nast top100 list. This being the Starwood forum, let's stick to discussing Starwood properties.

There's 102 pages worth of discussion (1518 posts), and I would recommend everyone to read at least the last 5-10 pages to get a good summary.

SGS and PA upsell Golds (and probably all guests) before checking in - Grand Deluxe is well worth the 1000thb or so. For mesmerizing views, I think only St Regis (some rooms) and ROS offer something easy on the eye.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:10 am

New Years eve with Family

OK so looking for FT input. I'm PLT and plan to burn some SNA's for a 3 night stay in BKK over new years with family. Will book 3 rooms and request SNA for 2 rooms.

Currently I have the following hotels booked on fully refundable rates.
Plaza Athenee- BRG rate at about $125 USD
W BKK- Gov rate of about $150 USD
Sheraton Grand- Gov rate of about $165 USD

So what I'm interested in is which will hotel has the best suite and benefits for PLT? Seems that PA and SGS have great benefits but have not heard from W. I will need two of the three rooms connecting to the SNA room due to three young kids staying.

THe X factor is New Years. Is there anything I should take into consideration when I finally select the hotel we plan to stay at?

I need to narrow it done to at least 2 hotels so I can submit the SNA's. IN the end which ever hotel approves the SNA's will decide which hotel we stay in. However, if in best case both hotels approve the SNA's or in worst case the SNA's are not approved by either hotel which hotel would be the best choice?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:02 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
OK so looking for FT input. I'm PLT and plan to burn some SNA's for a 3 night stay in BKK over new years with family. Will book 3 rooms and request SNA for 2 rooms.

So what I'm interested in is which will hotel has the best suite and benefits for PLT? Seems that PA and SGS have great benefits but have not heard from W. I will need two of the three rooms connecting to the SNA room due to three young kids staying.

THe X factor is New Years. Is there anything I should take into consideration when I finally select the hotel we plan to stay at?

I need to narrow it done to at least 2 hotels so I can submit the SNA's. IN the end which ever hotel approves the SNA's will decide which hotel we stay in. However, if in best case both hotels approve the SNA's or in worst case the SNA's are not approved by either hotel which hotel would be the best choice?
SGS is the best on benefits IMO/best location
no club but have evening drink and near terminal21 include in worst case you can buy anything in terminal21 supermarket,food center
Laundry 4 piece /day in Grande deluxe room make you more convenient

PA if you need club

W is not good base on FT review remote/no attractive place nearby
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by nongsom
SGS is the best on benefits IMO/best location
no club but have evening drink and near terminal21 include in worst case you can buy anything in terminal21 supermarket,food center
Laundry 4 piece /day in Grande deluxe room make you more convenient

PA if you need club

W is not good base on FT review remote/no attractive place nearby
Are evening drinks free?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 3:13 am

Are evening drinks free?
Free
SGS 3 location of evening drink sala,barsu,livingroom(dress code)
PA at club
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:53 am

I don't think W is a good choice as its out of the way and no free drinks or snacks in evening.

PA has excellent club lounge. Ive never stayed at SGS as a plat but it looks after plats well from comments on here. I would say the pre- refurbished rooms are similar at both hotels but cant comment on the refurbished ones or how close your children will be located.

SGS is a little closer to BTS but not hugely advantageous.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Are evening drinks free?
Originally Posted by nongsom
Free
... for PLTs.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 2:08 am

Which SPG hotels in Bangkok recognize SPG Gold status the most? Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Which SPG hotels in Bangkok recognize SPG Gold status the most? Thanks.
I stayed a fair bit as gold and did not receive anything more than the usual points or internet and a preferred room. Plats on the other hand get very well looked after in Bangkok. I found booking club rooms as a gold to be good value. For cheap and good value try the Aloft breakfast package or SPG breakfast and you will get breakfast thrown in and a flexible booking for less than the standard flexible booking rate. Breakfast isn't stunning like some of the other hotels but at 400 - 500 Baht premium to the no breakfast prepaid rate its good value.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:53 am

Was hoping for a similar requalification gift as last year where I used the 35% off to try out the W. This year booked SGS as haven't been for a while. However with no announcement forthcoming on the requal gift decided to rebook the stay into the PA and LM instead and get 2 extra days for pretty much the same points as 5 days at SGS. I like the SGS but just not enough to pay a premium over the other options available.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:53 pm

My wife and I are stopping in BKK for 2 days in the middle of our anniversary trip. Looking for the best location/nicest SPG place to use our points. We want to be able to walk around and explore BKK, especially the food scene. I'm leaning towards SGS from what I've read so far. Any thoughts on what may be best?

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:32 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by FamilyMan2222
My wife and I are stopping in BKK for 2 days in the middle of our anniversary trip. Looking for the best location/nicest SPG place to use our points. We want to be able to walk around and explore BKK, especially the food scene. I'm leaning towards SGS from what I've read so far. Any thoughts on what may be best?

Thanks!
Absolutely SGS ^^^
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:38 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by FamilyMan2222

Thanks!
Are you a Platinum member? Gold? and,

Does the number of points per night matter in the calculation?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.