Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by edgewood49
It amazes me that their waiting until the heavy season begins. In days of old work commenced right after Easter through September 1st. Oh well looks like "across the street" for New Years !!
I was told it would take about a year, so will be hard to avoid any season!

I'm planning to be there in October, if, and that's a big if, I can get a BRG to work.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
It amazes me that their waiting until the heavy season begins. In days of old work commenced right after Easter through September 1st. Oh well looks like "across the street" for New Years !!

???? Summer IS the heavy season in Waikiki. School vacation, winter in Australia AND RIMPAC every other year.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by clublounger
???? Summer IS the heavy season in Waikiki. School vacation, winter in Australia AND RIMPAC every other year.

I know thought about that when I hit send remember I have been going to the islands since the early 70's
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Summer is busier than December-Easter?
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:38 pm

A couple of questions about suites, if anyone knows:

1) Do any of the Banyan ocean suites have lanais (i.e. what is this room)? In general, how do these suites compare to tower suites?
2) Are all the "Tower Ocean" suites xx95, and "Tower Ocean Premier" suites xx96?

Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anothertraveller12
A couple of questions about suites, if anyone knows:

1) Do any of the Banyan ocean suites have lanais? In general, how do these suites compare to tower suites?
2) Are all the "Tower Ocean" suites xx95, and "Tower Ocean Premier" suites xx96?

Thanks!
1) No. Banyan Suites are in the historical part of the bldg and the ones that are earmarked for Plat/SNA upgrades do not have lamais. I don’t think any of the rooms in the Banyan section have lanais.

2) I had never noticed the distinction but makes sense. XX96 suites have a better view of Diamond Head than XX95. Otherwise, the suites are identical.

Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:48 pm

Thanks margarita girl! One last question - is the day bed in the suite an actual sofa bed? I see conflicting info on the site.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anothertraveller12
Thanks margarita girl! One last question - is the day bed in the suite an actual sofa bed? I see conflicting info on the site.
I don’t recall a day bed in the Banyan Suite but I haven’t been in one in quite a few months. Definitely no day bed in Tower Suite as I was in one 2 nights ago.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl

I don’t recall a day bed in the Banyan Suite but I haven’t been in one in quite a few months. Definitely no day bed in Tower Suite as I was in one 2 nights ago.

At least the bar is open !!!
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond

1) No. Banyan Suites are in the historical part of the bldg and the ones that are earmarked for Plat/SNA upgrades do not have lamais. I don’t think any of the rooms in the Banyan section have lanais.

There are some rooms with lanais in the Historic/Banyan building. Makai side of the portion of the building directly above the main entrance.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:05 am

..... Definitely no day bed in Tower Suite as I was in one 2 nights ago.

Well, you were robbed.

All the xx95s and xx96s (Tower Suites) have a day bed. It's the sofa, with the removable cushions. It replaced the beloved murphy bed in the last renovation. It can also be made up at nighttime as a twin bed. Housekeeping will do that for you, when they're not on strike.

At least the bar is open !!!
The bar is NOT open. Primo beer and a mediocre red and white are being served in the Beach Club.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, you were robbed.

All the xx95s and xx96s (Tower Suites) have a day bed. It's the sofa, with the removable cushions. It replaced the beloved murphy bed in the last renovation. It can also be made up at nighttime as a twin bed. Housekeeping will do that for you, when they're not on strike.

The bar is NOT open. Primo beer and a mediocre red and white are being served in the Beach Club.
Thanks for the clarification. I don't think of a sofa bed as a day bed. But yes, we did have a sofa.

The pool bar is open at the Sheraton. No chair service though.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:00 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I don't think of a sofa bed as a day bed. But yes, we did have a sofa.
Further clarification for those who haven't been in a Tower Suite. It's not a pull out sofa bed. It's a fabric covered twin size mattress with movable back support cushions and a few throw pillows. aka "Day Bed". It can all be cleared, leaving just the mattress as a bed. Dang, wish I took a pic......
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP

The memo posted at the Club Lounge detailing the limited operations at the hotel.

I have been frequent guest of this hotel for the past 14 years and it has been my go to hotel for stays in Waikiki. Those that also frequent this hotel will know there are some long tenured people at front desk.

Anyhow I checked in to the Moana this afternoon and saw people picketing out in front as well as near the Sheraton. I appproached the front desk and I could tell something was amiss. There was a pretty lengthy queue at both the regular line and SPG Elite line, but no one was manning the elite line. Those that were at the front desk were also not the regulars. Finally after another agent joined in to help the regular line another employee finally went to the elite line. As I was being checked in I inquired to see if a couple of the people at the front desk who usually help me are around and I was told they were out on the picket lines and that managers and admins are running the front desk. I ask if any other areas of the hotel are impacted and he goes housekeeping and the restaurants. The guy told me they hired additional housekeepers to address the issues, but I could tell that the replacements were a bit flustered. As I was waiting for the elevator I overheard some conversation about whether they needed assistance getting a suite ready and this was well after 5pm.

I went out and then on my way back to the hotel I saw one of my angels from the FD who was picketing in front. My “angel” profusely apologized for the condition of the hotel and asked if I was given a suite which I was. The “angel” said they will be picketing on the beachside at 7am 😂

I also found out that the the Beach Bar at the pool which is under renovation is delayed because the construction workers did not want to cross the picket lines in solidarity.

I stopped by the lounge in the evening and noticed a sign up detailing the limited operations of the hotel, none of which are publically posted on the hotel website.

The hotel workers have been on strike for 41 days and even when they assumed the strike would stop (last week) it has been extended.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by kluau88

The memo posted at the Club Lounge detailing the limited operations at the hotel.

I have been frequent guest of this hotel for the past 14 years and it has been my go to hotel for stays in Waikiki. Those that also frequent this hotel will know there are some long tenured people at front desk.

Anyhow I checked in to the Moana this afternoon and saw people picketing out in front as well as near the Sheraton. I appproached the front desk and I could tell something was amiss. There was a pretty lengthy queue at both the regular line and SPG Elite line, but no one was manning the elite line. Those that were at the front desk were also not the regulars. Finally after another agent joined in to help the regular line another employee finally went to the elite line. As I was being checked in I inquired to see if a couple of the people at the front desk who usually help me are around and I was told they were out on the picket lines and that managers and admins are running the front desk. I ask if any other areas of the hotel are impacted and he goes housekeeping and the restaurants. The guy told me they hired additional housekeepers to address the issues, but I could tell that the replacements were a bit flustered. As I was waiting for the elevator I overheard some conversation about whether they needed assistance getting a suite ready and this was well after 5pm.

I went out and then on my way back to the hotel I saw one of my angels from the FD who was picketing in front. My “angel” profusely apologized for the condition of the hotel and asked if I was given a suite which I was. The “angel” said they will be picketing on the beachside at 7am 😂

I also found out that the the Beach Bar at the pool which is under renovation is delayed because the construction workers did not want to cross the picket lines in solidarity.

I stopped by the lounge in the evening and noticed a sign up detailing the limited operations of the hotel, none of which are publically posted on the hotel website.

The hotel workers have been on strike for 41 days and even when they assumed the strike would stop (last week) it has been extended.

Sad very sad. and there are clouds on the horizon with the economy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.