Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2022, 11:14 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
Any hints on when the lounge might reopen?
The Beach Club will not reopen for the foreseeable future. 🤙🏻
Old Feb 12, 2022, 1:27 am
Suspended

Is the Moana back to offering a compliant elite welcome choice that includes a restaurant breakfast? I always enjoyed getting the end table on the veranda first thing in the morning and having an ala carte breakfast even if the service was rude.
leatherheadiowa likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ed Thom
Is the Moana back to offering a compliant elite welcome choice that includes a restaurant breakfast? I always enjoyed getting the end table on the veranda first thing in the morning and having an ala carte breakfast even if the service was rude.
Any update?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Ed Thom
Any update?
I don't know why you're so aggressive in the way you ask questions about something you seem to have such distaste for, but I'll bite - even though I already talked about the breakfast in my post a couple of weeks ago.

Breakfast is served only in the restaurant. Elites get a free continental or can pay an upcharge to get a different entree (upcharges vary based on the entree) - drinks, at least coffee, seemed to be free as they weren't on the bill. This is the same system as the Sheraton and Royal Hawaiian.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:19 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I was here recently for a few nights as part of a Hawaii vacation, after having visited multiple times in the past for business trips to Honolulu.

Sadly the Beach Club remains closed, but otherwise operations seemed more or less back to normal; there were no COVID restrictions of note with the mask mandate and other rules having recently ended. Elite breakfast benefit is $18 per person off of entrees in the restaurant, which generally cost in the $30s, but do at least include coffee and juice as well as the food.

I used an expiring and otherwise-mostly-useless to confirm an upgrade to a Tower room (not a suite) before arrival; it still drives me crazy how much Marriott has allowed properties to completely gut that program (there were no suite categories available to select even if I'd wanted to) but at least it allowed me to confirm a reasonable room at the cost of a tiny Banyan room. If you would use points anyway, the incremental points cost to book a Tower room upfront was also pretty reasonable for my dates, so that could also be a decent option. I don't recommend a party of 2 try to stay in a Banyan king room, especially when at other properties nearby (like the Hyatt Regency) you can usually get a room comparable to the Moana's tower rooms for a lower price than the Moana charges for the Banyan rooms.

There was a new-to-me system of issuing cards that can be used to pick up one beach towel per person, and then you have to return the towels and get the cards back, and return the cards at check-out or supposedly you may be charged; I don't know if that's enforced but just one more example of how Hawaii hotels manage to get away with offering a pretty mediocre resort experience in some respects. Our main resort time for this trip was at the Andaz on Maui, so I wasn't too worried about it, but certainly if resort amenities (pool especially) are a priority for you, this hotel isn't a great option.

I requested a 2pm late checkout and was rejected, as is the hotel's right as a resort property, but they did offer me 1pm "as a courtesy" (vs the standard 11am), which was appreciated and certainly better than some places manage (ahem W South Beach for one).

It was also nice to find ourselves staying here after listening to the GyPSy guide on the Road to Hana, which gave a sketch of Hawaiian history and mentioned the Moana as the first hotel in Waikiki. Not sure how I hadn't noticed it before, but there is a great exhibit on the hotel's history on the second floor of the Banyan building which is worth spending a few minutes checking out. I did learn from visiting that the Moana hotel was the original building, now the Banyan section, while the Diamond Head rooms and then later the Tower rooms were built as the Surfrider hotel, which were later combined, hence the current name.
Old May 11, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Magical!

I have only been here less than 24 hours, and I am reminded at every turn why I returned so quickly. This is an amazing property with some of the best service and an immaculate and bustling aura that shows why guests have flocked here since 1901.

I'll follow up with an updated trip report soon, but seriously, I can see this becoming a yearly pilgrimage for me.
CalanMan likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by bgriff
There was a new-to-me system of issuing cards that can be used to pick up one beach towel per person, and then you have to return the towels and get the cards back, and return the cards at check-out or supposedly you may be charged; I don't know if that's enforced but just one more example of how Hawaii hotels manage to get away with offering a pretty mediocre resort experience in some respects.
Chintzy.

Originally Posted by bgriff
I did learn from visiting that the Moana hotel was the original building, now the Banyan section, while the Diamond Head rooms and then later the Tower rooms were built as the Surfrider hotel, which were later combined, hence the current name.
The hotels were not particularly high-end properties while separated under the Sheraton flag (pre-renovation). On our first visit to HI in the 80s, I recall attending the Pleasant Hawaiian "briefing breakfast" at the Surfrider. After some meager continental offerings and endless pitches for excursion add-ons, we were herded onto buses for a "city tour" that promptly deposited us at Hilo Hattie's.

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I have only been here less than 24 hours, and I am reminded at every turn why I returned so quickly. This is an amazing property with some of the best service and an immaculate and bustling aura that shows why guests have flocked here since 1901.
There is something about the breeze flowing through that lobby. Look forward to the details...
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:31 pm

Seriously magical!

I'll follow up with an updated trip report soon, but seriously, I can see this becoming a yearly pilgrimage for me.
After more than 48 hours at this fine property, I can't say that my previous sentiment has changed a bit. There's nothing better than the "vibes" of this property - thankfully, I was able to cap off my stay with a lobby dance party last night in the piano bar :-)

I ended up getting an upgrade to a brilliant suite - one of the rare 5th floor Banyan Ocean Suites. I had wanted to try out the Banyan wing after staying in the Tower a few months back. The room felt fun and positive with the window shutters and the amazing view of the Banyan tree and ocean behind it. Yes, there is basically no noise cancellation with these windows, but hearing the ocean 24/7 was actually quite relaxing. This was the best sleep I have gotten this trip so far. Waking up and opening the shutters - what a feeling! The only other potential negative of this room is that the A/C definitely can't keep up - it blows and blows but is no match for the 1901 construction. Still, I slept comfortably even with the Heavenly duvet.

More about the room - there was a large living room with couch, two wicker chairs, and a full desk. Off the living room was a half-bath. The bedroom also had a full desk and a very nice bed - mattress a tad firmer than the Westin Hapuna Beach I stayed at last but still great. A nice mix of feather and non-feather pillows. Great Heavenly duvet! Lots of drawers and storage space throughout. Both TVs had the Internet TV OS, but note the very small size of the bedroom TV (I kind of liked it - like going back in time). The full bathroom had dual vanities and a shower-tub combination with Heavenly shower head. Pressure was great. No washlet like the Tower rooms have.

Overall, I LOVED this room - it felt so unique and was very comfortable and functional. This is Hawaiian history, and I'm glad to have existed within it.

Service is an amazing standout at this property. I thought it was great the last time I was here in February, but it was even better this time. Krystal is a standout - there are just too many nice things to say. Basically, she is everything a hospitality professional should be. She checked me in the last time I was here and immediately remembered me - we walked through all of the avaiable room options in each wing. Throughout my stay, we had several conversations about how I was enjoying my trip and about our families and home lives. I went up last night and asked Krystal if I could 12 or 1 checkout, and she immediately said "let's do 1 PM". Seriously, though, she is so friendly and professional that I'm sure she'll be promoted soon.

Another service standout was the staff at the Veranda at breakfast - addressing me by name, fervently offering to fill up my coffee, getting to-go cups. As I walked to my table this morning, the amount of "Good morning, Mr. ElevatorEnthusiast" I got was shocking.

Breakfast at the Veranda is the same setup - $18 off an entree of your choice with coffee included. I tried both the mango and macadamia nut pancake dishes - both were divinely delicious! The pancakes here are so light and fluffy!

As mentioned before, the property is always bustling with dance parties led by the evening pianist. The Banyan tree remains beautiful. The lobby is magical. I can't say enough nice things to do this place justice.

I can definitely see myself returning before the end of the year - how naughty that would be :-)

​​
NYC Flyer and CalanMan like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
After more than 48 hours at this fine property, I can't say that my previous sentiment has changed a bit. There's nothing better than the "vibes" of this property - thankfully, I was able to cap off my stay with a lobby dance party last night in the piano bar :-)

I ended up getting an upgrade to a brilliant suite - one of the rare 5th floor Banyan Ocean Suites. I had wanted to try out the Banyan wing after staying in the Tower a few months back. The room felt fun and positive with the window shutters and the amazing view of the Banyan tree and ocean behind it. Yes, there is basically no noise cancellation with these windows, but hearing the ocean 24/7 was actually quite relaxing. This was the best sleep I have gotten this trip so far. Waking up and opening the shutters - what a feeling! The only other potential negative of this room is that the A/C definitely can't keep up - it blows and blows but is no match for the 1901 construction. Still, I slept comfortably even with the Heavenly duvet.

More about the room - there was a large living room with couch, two wicker chairs, and a full desk. Off the living room was a half-bath. The bedroom also had a full desk and a very nice bed - mattress a tad firmer than the Westin Hapuna Beach I stayed at last but still great. A nice mix of feather and non-feather pillows. Great Heavenly duvet! Lots of drawers and storage space throughout. Both TVs had the Internet TV OS, but note the very small size of the bedroom TV (I kind of liked it - like going back in time). The full bathroom had dual vanities and a shower-tub combination with Heavenly shower head. Pressure was great. No washlet like the Tower rooms have.

Overall, I LOVED this room - it felt so unique and was very comfortable and functional. This is Hawaiian history, and I'm glad to have existed within it.

Service is an amazing standout at this property. I thought it was great the last time I was here in February, but it was even better this time. Krystal is a standout - there are just too many nice things to say. Basically, she is everything a hospitality professional should be. She checked me in the last time I was here and immediately remembered me - we walked through all of the avaiable room options in each wing. Throughout my stay, we had several conversations about how I was enjoying my trip and about our families and home lives. I went up last night and asked Krystal if I could 12 or 1 checkout, and she immediately said "let's do 1 PM". Seriously, though, she is so friendly and professional that I'm sure she'll be promoted soon.

Another service standout was the staff at the Veranda at breakfast - addressing me by name, fervently offering to fill up my coffee, getting to-go cups. As I walked to my table this morning, the amount of "Good morning, Mr. ElevatorEnthusiast" I got was shocking.

Breakfast at the Veranda is the same setup - $18 off an entree of your choice with coffee included. I tried both the mango and macadamia nut pancake dishes - both were divinely delicious! The pancakes here are so light and fluffy!

As mentioned before, the property is always bustling with dance parties led by the evening pianist. The Banyan tree remains beautiful. The lobby is magical. I can't say enough nice things to do this place justice.

I can definitely see myself returning before the end of the year - how naughty that would be :-)

​​
This is wonderful, but keep in mind the experience for most Elite members, including repeat guests, is far different than yours with most suite upgrade requests getting a dismissive scoff from the FD staff. I've encountered the rudest Starwood Hawaii staff at this property over many years. My last and final stay, where I finally drew the line, was an assignment to the Banyan Wing where its single pane windows and Carnival Cruise inside-cabin sized room made for a highly miserable experience including a 3AM room change to get away from the outside noise of staff dragging chairs across the courtyard in the middle of the night. The cherry on the sundae was being accosted by a security guard for taking photos of the flower arrangement at the side entrance.

I find my happiest experiences now, as a former frequent guest of this property, is to stay elsewhere and stop by the veranda to enjoy some time in the rocking chairs, then leave.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the great detailed review, ElevatorEnthusiast. Can you share your secret sauce to get suite upgrades in all those Hawaiian properties where other FTers have trouble getting even a nicer room? I was there last week and had to fight to get a tower ocean view room. I was preassigned a Banyan Ocean Room.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Thank you for the great detailed review, ElevatorEnthusiast. Can you share your secret sauce to get suite upgrades in all those Hawaiian properties where other FTers have trouble getting even a nicer room? I was there last week and had to fight to get a tower ocean view room. I was preassigned a Banyan Ocean Room.
I will admit that I did ask for this room specifically - Krystal had no problem and no hesitation assigning it to me and even made sure that I was okay with it not having a Lanai by showing me the floorplan from what appeared to be an events brochure. I had been pre-assigned in app to a Banyan Ocean King, as well - Krystal recommended that I take either a Diamond or Tower Ocean View (despite them being 2 beds). I remembered seeing a Banyan Ocean Suite online - when I asked, there was zero hesitation after she checked that it was actually available (she seemed surprised that one was actually open). Most room categories online, especially King rooms, were sold out.

As for my secret sauce, I believe that it is a combination of short stays (this stay was 2 nights) and a rather disarming appearance and humorous self-deprecating demeanor (I don't look like the typical Ambassador member based on age, according to some rather honest FDAs across the country).
Old May 12, 2022, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is wonderful, but keep in mind the experience for most Elite members, including repeat guests, is far different than yours with most suite upgrade requests getting a dismissive scoff from the FD staff. I've encountered the rudest Starwood Hawaii staff at this property over many years. My last and final stay, where I finally drew the line, was an assignment to the Banyan Wing where its single pane windows and Carnival Cruise inside-cabin sized room made for a highly miserable experience including a 3AM room change to get away from the outside noise of staff dragging chairs across the courtyard in the middle of the night. The cherry on the sundae was being accosted by a security guard for taking photos of the flower arrangement at the side entrance.

I find my happiest experiences now, as a former frequent guest of this property, is to stay elsewhere and stop by the veranda to enjoy some time in the rocking chairs, then leave.
Yes, I take every positive experience with every ounce of gratitude I can muster. Frankly, I can find several immediate reasons outside of Elite benefits to not recommend the Moana Surfrider, especially rooms in the Banyan wing, to certain travelers. However, I can't deny the giddy feeling I felt throughout this last stay - this place has almost every reason I love hotels (room diversity, people-watching, friendly staff, unique and beautiful nature and architecture, and bed comfort).
Old May 12, 2022, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...........I don't look like the typical Ambassador member based on age, according to some rather honest FDAs across the country...
So my next question is: how do I make myself look as young as you?
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
So my next question is: how do I make myself look as young as you?
Well, it's definitely not my diet of pancakes, shaved ice from Island Vintage, and pizza from Arancino di Mare at the Marriott down the street!
Old May 12, 2022, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
That is one of the 3 Banyan Suites that are (or used to be) in the SNA pool and definitely the best of the 3. I agree, it’s a great room!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.