Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Ambassador
There were suites available but they were asking $300/night for a paid upgrade, which wasn't worth it to me for that trip. At the time I applied the SNAs there wasn't a Banyan Ocean Suite Option. Wish I remembered exactly, but the app showed basically every room type available at check in. Probably the three Banyan suites were taken and everything else was left. I was surprised they wouldn't even give a PH level room. Totally different elite level treatment compared to Sheraton or RH which are oddly owned by the same firm I believe....
Old Nov 27, 2021, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Brmweber
Totally different elite level treatment compared to Sheraton or RH which are oddly owned by the same firm I believe....
There have been reports of paid upgrades being pitched to elites at the Sheraton recently as well.
anteater likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, United Premier Silver, National Executive Elite
There were suites available but they were asking $300/night for a paid upgrade, which wasn't worth it to me for that trip. At the time I applied the SNAs there wasn't a Banyan Ocean Suite Option. Wish I remembered exactly, but the app showed basically every room type available at check in. Probably the three Banyan suites were taken and everything else was left. I was surprised they wouldn't even give a PH level room. Totally different elite level treatment compared to Sheraton or RH which are oddly owned by the same firm I believe....
between the three, which do you recommend? We’re looking at going in February. Currently have 3 nights booked at the Westin but open to change. I also have 3 SNAs to use.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by mciampa
between the three, which do you recommend? We’re looking at going in February. Currently have 3 nights booked at the Westin but open to change. I also have 3 SNAs to use.
Any details about the trip? Number of people, interests, trip goals, needs and desires?
Old Nov 29, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, United Premier Silver, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by anteater
Any details about the trip? Number of people, interests, trip goals, needs and desires?
Myself, my wife and our 3-year-old daughter. We're pretty chill. Just want to explore the area around Waikiki. Maybe rent a car one day and go around to the North Shore. I really like the area of Waikiki Beach that has the rocks so the waves are less (for my daughter).

After our three days in Waikiki, we're going to the Big Island to stay at the Westin Hapuna so we should get our pool fill at that time (so that's not a big priority). Mostly looking for which is the nicest property and which would I have the best chance of getting a nice upgrade (I will be Ambassador by February). And any sort of breakfast offering would be good, too.

We have only stayed at the Marriott Waikiki in the past and like it but we're looking for something different. Last time we were there was almost three years ago (Feb 2019).

Appreciate any help or insight!
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by mciampa
Myself, my wife and our 3-year-old daughter. We're pretty chill. Just want to explore the area around Waikiki. Maybe rent a car one day and go around to the North Shore. I really like the area of Waikiki Beach that has the rocks so the waves are less (for my daughter).

After our three days in Waikiki, we're going to the Big Island to stay at the Westin Hapuna so we should get our pool fill at that time (so that's not a big priority). Mostly looking for which is the nicest property and which would I have the best chance of getting a nice upgrade (I will be Ambassador by February). And any sort of breakfast offering would be good, too.

We have only stayed at the Marriott Waikiki in the past and like it but we're looking for something different. Last time we were there was almost three years ago (Feb 2019).

Appreciate any help or insight!
I would recommend the RH. Rooms are a bit dated, but the property has the best onsite catering of any Marriott in Waikiki. Nice beach access and you can always rent the Westin's beach chairs which have a bit better of a view IMHO. RH or Sheraton are both much easier to get a suite upgrade which to me is important for three people, unless you're getting connecting rooms. That being said, I spend very little time in the hotel room while in HNL, so depending on the cost the Westin could be a good choice.
bizum, anteater and mciampa like this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 4:52 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Nice beach access and you can always rent the Westin's beach chairs which have a bit better of a view IMHO.
The last time I stayed at the RH was in Nov. 2019, IIRC, and the beach chairs cost $40 per day, while at the Westin MS they cost $60 per day. The views are not much different but I think the MS beach chairs are a little closer to the ocean but views at both places are obstructed by independent chair rentals. Also, at the RH, you get an electronic push-button at your seat to call for service and the beach bar is very close by and they'll sell you an alcoholic drink that you can take to your chair, although technically you can't drink alcohol on the beach, the RH waitresses do not discourage it (in fact, one of them told me I could do it, just as long as the waitresses don't serve it to you). I much prefer the less expensive RH beach chair experience.
anteater likes this.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Nov 30, 2021 at 5:05 pm
Old Dec 5, 2021, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
The last time I stayed at the RH was in Nov. 2019, IIRC, and the beach chairs cost $40 per day, while at the Westin MS they cost $60 per day. The views are not much different but I think the MS beach chairs are a little closer to the ocean but views at both places are obstructed by independent chair rentals. Also, at the RH, you get an electronic push-button at your seat to call for service and the beach bar is very close by and they'll sell you an alcoholic drink that you can take to your chair, although technically you can't drink alcohol on the beach, the RH waitresses do not discourage it (in fact, one of them told me I could do it, just as long as the waitresses don't serve it to you). I much prefer the less expensive RH beach chair experience.
Rate is now $75 at Westin and $60 at RH. Most wait staff will serve you drinks at the beach or at least meet you at the bar to get a drink. View at Westin is unobstructed by private beach chairs. The far west end is obstructed by a catamaran.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:43 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Rate is now $75 at Westin and $60 at RH. Most wait staff will serve you drinks at the beach or at least meet you at the bar to get a drink. View at Westin is unobstructed by private beach chairs. The far west end is obstructed by a catamaran.
With soaring inflation, I'm not surprised to see that the price has risen. When I rented the beach chair at MS a few years ago, there were some chairs obstructing my view, but there are many more chairs obstructing the view from RH since that's a much wider stretch of beach and close to where the beach chair renters operate. With the COVID pandemic, I don't enjoy international travel anymore, so don't know when I'll ever get back to Hawaii. In the meantime, I'll have to find nice beaches here in Japan.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Dec 6, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
With soaring inflation, I'm not surprised to see that the price has risen. When I rented the beach chair at MS a few years ago, there were some chairs obstructing my view, but there are many more chairs obstructing the view from RH since that's a much wider stretch of beach and close to where the beach chair renters operate. With COVID, I don't enjoy international travel anymore, so don't know when I'll ever get back to Hawaii. In the meantime, I'll have to find nice beaches here in Japan.

"NJ" while "inflation" could be part of the increase I submit it's the ownership/management raising prices in their effort to recoup loses due to the Covid. The real issue with us is the CEO of Marriott made some very disturbing remarks regarding workers and ownership group all of us need to read that posting Gary Leff made this morning

ttps://viewfromthewing.com/marriott-wont-hire-housekeepers-pays-people-to-make-nfts/?utm_source=BoardingArea&utm_medium=BoardingArea
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:51 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I think the Moana might be a bit confused on its brand!
Old Feb 8, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Great stay to end off my trip!

Capping off my hotel gauntlet in Waikiki with the Moana! Overall, I think the Sheraton is better for most, but I was pleasantly surprised at the Moana experience, despite its dated looks.

I had booked a base Banyan City View King with cash and was upgraded to a Tower Partial Ocean View in app the morning of arrival. At check-in, the agent moved me to a Tower Premier Ocean View King with a view of Diamond Head and allowed 4 PM late checkout. I was on the 6th floor, which meant I had a better view of the beach. The view isn't as good as the Sheraton, but it's still a great view. Noise was very apparent - waves, live music in the courtyard, etc. Still though, music ended at 10 PM, and I slept very well. The Tower rooms look very dated, but I was shocked at the comfort. The bed was amazing with thick covers and a plush mattress. The pillows were a bit lumpy but were surprisingly good to sleep on. My 9 hours of sleep was very nice. Similarly, the shower head in the shower-tub combination looked very dinky, but packed wonderful pressure and temperature - probably my best showers of the trip. The toilet had a Toto Washlet, and the TV had the Internet TV OS. The balcony had two nice chairs and a small table.

Service was great - the agent at the Elite desk who checked me in was very friendly and spent a good amount of time talking with me about my home state. No issue with 4 PM late checkout. Another highlight was one of the servers at breakfast who was pretty insistent that I deserved a mimosa and also spoke with me about my hometown.

Breakfast was very tasty. Sitting at the Veranda near the banyan tree is a great treat. I paid a $13 Elite upcharge to get some delicious macadamia nut and banana pancakes with chocolate chips and caramel sauce. They brought over a big pot of coffee. There was a short wait for tables - about 7 minutes.

I did not take advantage of the pool, but I was given two towel cards here.

The history of the building is such a treat - the 6th floor hallway in the Banyan wing is a wonderful sight, and the fire escapes provide a great spot for pictures. I didn't see any signs of Jane Stanford or any other ghosts.

Overall, I think the Sheraton is still the best option for most people, but I greatly enjoyed my stay at the Moana - the Kyo-Ya properties in Waikiki really are great!
Old Feb 8, 2022, 4:14 pm

dgreen12 and bubbelbine like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Unfortunately, you missed out on the best part of the MS, which is the Royal Beach Club lounge. It has an outdoor terrace on the ground floor and you can listen to the waves while sitting on the couch outside while enjoying a glass of wine. It is truly magical.

The same could be said for the SW with its spectacular Leahi lounge on the top floor, but the hotel itself is still fantastic even without the lounge.
dgreen12, Finkface and anteater like this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Any hints on when the lounge might reopen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.