Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 20, 19, 7:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 29, 08, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Glad to hear that things worked out for your relatives dwolfxy

I'll be headed there myself within a month and looking forward to it
Old Jul 29, 08, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHONOR Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Platinum
I too am very glad that it all worked out well for your relatives, dewolfxy!

Seems like the Westin Moana Surfrider has consistently surprised everyone in a pleasant way! The key is not to expect too much, and certainly not to have a sense of entitlement

And I agree with many posters that FT is awesome! I for one has gotten so much out of it that I feel obligated to contribute as much as I can. This forum is simply priceless ^^^
Old Aug 2, 08, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA 2P, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Another great stay

Was upgraded to an oceanfront xx95 suite on a two-night July weekend stay. Also had a fruit plate and some chocolate-covered macadmias delivered to the room, compliments of the GM. This hotel takes great care of Platinums, and I'll definitely be back the next time I'm in Oahu.
Old Sep 4, 08, 1:19 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Cool currently here ..

We are back at our favorite Oahu SPG property and as always they have taken good care of us, upgrading us to a tower suite. (xx95) We are here on a 5 night point stay.

One sad note though is that it seems the Moana Memories Lounge is no longer available to Plat SPG members. After years of being able to have access to the lounge, I heard no mention of it on check in today. When I returned to ask about it, I was told that effective 8/01/08 the lounge was no longer available to SPG Plat members. SO SAD! (Is it possible for a property to have a lounge and not give Plat members access??)
Old Sep 4, 08, 1:35 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by runfromthefire View Post
...(Is it possible for a property to have a lounge and not give Plat members access??)
Yes. Very much so. Especially since the benefit is specifically to a Westin Executive level lounge or Sheraton Club level lounge, which does not exist at this property.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 4, 08, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by runfromthefire View Post
We are back at our favorite Oahu SPG property and as always they have taken good care of us, upgrading us to a tower suite. (xx95) We are here on a 5 night point stay.

One sad note though is that it seems the Moana Memories Lounge is no longer available to Plat SPG members. After years of being able to have access to the lounge, I heard no mention of it on check in today. When I returned to ask about it, I was told that effective 8/01/08 the lounge was no longer available to SPG Plat members. SO SAD! (Is it possible for a property to have a lounge and not give Plat members access??)
If not SPG Plat members, who is it available to? Is the hotel offering an alternative to Plats, such as a comp breakfast or breakfast discount?
Old Sep 5, 08, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
If not SPG Plat members, who is it available to? Is the hotel offering an alternative to Plats, such as a comp breakfast or breakfast discount?
It is called the "Memories Lounge" , and it was always intended for Japanese honeymooners and other Japanese on certain packages w/ the hotel. Plats were provided access as a courtesy. I was at the property in early August and had access. I'm surprised to hear that the benefit is gone.

Aloha
Old Sep 5, 08, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
Yes. Very much so. Especially since the benefit is specifically to a Westin Executive level lounge or Sheraton Club level lounge, which does not exist at this property.
Wouldn't it just be easier to eliminate all these differences between hotels?

You can get lounge access here, but you can't there.

You can earn points here, but you can't there.

You can get an u/g here, but you can't there.

etc. etc.

I imagine that many spg members who do not know about resources like FT must get pretty annoyed at times...
Old Sep 5, 08, 10:39 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by notsosmart View Post
...I imagine that many spg members who do not know about resources like FT must get pretty annoyed at times...
Yes, I would imagine that anyone who doesn't read the Terms and Conditions of Membership would find themselves annoyed from time to time.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 19, 08, 12:24 pm

As confirmed the Memories Lounge on the Penthouse floor is no longer accessible to Platinum Members. There is a sign posted outside stating that the Memories Lounge is available on a pay situation. The fee is $50 per person/day.

Anyhow enjoying another wonderful stay at the Moana. So nice to see the familiar faces at the front desk and from the pool staff.

Here on points for 5 nights and upgraded to a suite on the Penthouse floor. Initially I was preblocked in one of the xx95 suites, but I guess I got moved. Anyhow I requested a xx96 suites as the views from the xx96 suites are far superior than those I have seen from the Penthouse Floor from the 2 suites I've had (2103 and 2109). Anyhow should be switching to a xx96 suite later today.
Old Oct 7, 08, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
The Lounge was never anything special but you could get enough pastry and fruits to hold you over to lunch. I guess the value of the Hyatt just went up another notch.
Old Oct 8, 08, 4:58 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
This hotel is an absolute disgrace.

I visit Hawaii each year and usually stay at the Royal Hawaiian.

This year of course the Royal is closed for renovations, so I instead booked the Moana Surfrider. Big mistake.

I booked oceanfront rooms before and after visiting WKORV-N, where I'm an owner, and the former Starwood property on Lanai.

Six days in total, and I spent most of it waiting for elevators, or in elevators with up to 15 other people.

The Moana part, the historic wing, is fine. To be honest, if it alone had access to the pool and beach everyting would be fine.

But the owner has incorporated the existing hotels on either side into the property. The high-rise Surfrider is pathetic: it is perpendicular to the beach and its oceanfront rooms only have an ocean view from the balconies which are stuck on at a strange angle. But it is this building which has a major elevator problem and it also competes with the old building at the Westin Maui for the worst storage and bathroom prize. There is a closet in the bathroom, but to fit it in they had to use half-size toilets, which are fine so long as you are only intending to flush liquid matter.....

But the worst aspects are the inadequate pool and breakfast facilities. In ultra-low season we averaged a 20 minute wait for a table at breakfast, and if you want to use the pool you have to book the day before and stay there all day from 9am. Dinner was no better - the Beachhouse is supposedly open 'til 10 pm but when I arrived from Lanai at 9pm and went straight to the restaurant they told me that the staff go home at 930pm so we couldn't be seated in the (almost empty) restaurant.

And as a Platinum I wouldn't mind being refused access to the Lounge if it really were for Japanese guests only. But the hotel was quite keen to sell me access for $50 per day.

It's up to Starwood to enforce compliance with SPG upon its hotels or to take responsibility for dilution of its program. It's simply unacceptable to say "it's a lounge in a Westin but not a Westin lounge" just as it is unacceptable to call the Lanesborough a St Regis if it won't honour its SPG obligations. And I'm still waiting for the Royal Beach Club at the Westin Maui to re-open......

This "why should we bother recognising your elite status" attitude from Starwood Hawaii was placed in stark context by the far superior service and quality of the Four Seasons Manele Bay. I got a better upgrade from them, free breakfast for two each day, a free lunch and a place at the pool or beach. They even come round and wipe your sunglasses beside the pool!

I'm up to 84 nights this year so by this time of year I don't need to choose a Starwood to requalify as Platinum. Next year's Hawaii trip will be at the same time, and so the consequence of the Westin Moana Surfrider's insulting and offensive re-classification of its lounge is that I'm going to take my custom elsewhere, so I've booked Halekulani for the night before I go to Maui and the Kahala hotel for the five nights when I get back.

I should add that as someone who appreciates and, I should acknowledge, admires William, I am pretty disappointed to see him attempting to defend the reclassification of the lounge. I could just about swallow it if, like the RBC at the Westin Maui, they were closing it. But it's still there, and not just for Japanese guests, and they had the cheek to offer access to my family of four for $200 per day.

And I was far from alone in my dissatisfaction. At breakfast on Friday there was downright anger in the elevator from a group of Canadians who had waited 15 minutes for space in an elevator (I know - I was on a higher floor and my elevator was full when we got to their floor) only to get to the Verandah and be told that the wait would be 20-30 minutes for a table.

Last edited by DCF; Oct 8, 08 at 5:08 am
Old Oct 8, 08, 5:50 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
These "Lounges" are pretty common in HNL. I know the Sheraton has a couple. But of course as a P I was never given access to them. I do agree with you that to have it available in the past, give access for $50 (meaning you did not have a package which included it) now and now deny is wrong. I asked our contact at the Resort if breakfast vouchers would be made available. But it sounds like we might have to wait long just to get a table.
Old Oct 8, 08, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
The towers are part of the Moana Surfrider hotel and pre-date the Westin branding by ages - I don't recall them being built as separate hotels and 'integrated' into the Moana.

I agree the elevators are slow, but this a common problem in many hotels. The towers are newer than the Banyan Wing, but certainly not 'brand new' by any stretch.

The balcony angles are just fine - only the suites have direct oceanfront views. In order to give the other rooms a direct ocean view, the buildings would need to be turned on their sides - an impossibility. Frankly, I don't know why anyone would want a direct oceanfront view while missing the quintessential Honolulu visual - Waikiki beach, surfers on the water and Diamond Head. Just make sure you request a Diamond Head-facing water view before arrival.

The lounge is a problem - and their decision to restrict it to certain Japanese guests, while offering a buy-up for a ridiculous $50 to others, is very odd. I might even consider the restriction to be illegal, as they are saying that only persons of a certain national origin may enter the lounge for free. Honestly, request a mini-fridge with your room, go buy some fresh pineapple, papaya and juices at the market, and enjoy your own fixins' on the privacy of your balcony.

When I visited the lounge, I often found it crowded with no place to sit, they ran out of fruit constantly, and the juices came out of a concentration dispenser. I could do better on my own. On other Islands, I usually pick wild papaya, guava and passion fruit, soak them overnight in the bucket with some ice, then enjoy them for breakfast the next morning. I don't need the hotel for that.

It's still a great hotel - not perfect - but not a disgrace by any stretch.
Old Oct 8, 08, 11:55 am

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Spent 6 days there in April when the Lounge was still available to Plats and never had an issue...although I agree the new lounge situation is lousy. If it's only for Japanese tour groups no problem, but to then "offer" it to plats for $50 is insulting.

Hotel was crowded when I was there but I was upgraded to an Oceanview in the historic wing and don't recall any long waits for the elevator when going to the lounge in the Tower. The pool and private beach are small, but $5 / day to Bobby got us front row seats every day. And they never gave away our spots when we left for several hours at a time...must be a lot of folks who don't tip

Search this Thread