Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by margarita girl

The points are offered because you paid the resort fee since high speed internet is already complimentary for Plat members.

I paid the resort fee for the first time in Sept 2017. Had never paid it in previous 7 yrs but it was always a hassle/negotiation at the MS which is why I never stayed more than 1-2 nights at a time. SW was always very gracious about waiving the resort fee which is why they got the majority of my nights. But even that will be over now thanks to Marriott. Guess I’ll find out for sure in a month!
I wonder if it's because the old general manager left. Who knows.

I think there is a fair bit included in the Moana's resort fee, compared with the new Westin Hapuna Beach on the Big Island, but the issue I encountered was none of the amenities in the resort fee were EVER available.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:48 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I wonder if it's because the old general manager left. Who knows.

I think there is a fair bit included in the Moana's resort fee, compared with the new Westin Hapuna Beach on the Big Island, but the issue I encountered was none of the amenities in the resort fee were EVER available.
Umm, OT for this tread, but the Hapuna resort fee includes parking, which these days a lot of hotels in HI charge in addition to the resort fee.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jpdx
Umm, OT for this tread, but the Hapuna resort fee includes parking, which these days a lot of hotels in HI charge in addition to the resort fee.
That's a valid point, but if you don't have a car then it's pointless.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Moana premium suite 2 adults 3 children under 10

i have been searching prices and when i put 2 a 2 c get price once i put 3 c no availbability
has anyone been able to get 3 rd child into booking?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Maybe because the property is quite explicit than one may not reserve these suites online. There is a phone number provided for you to call. That is when you may and ought to ask about the 3rd child. The last thing you want is to either be denied your suite or be required to take a second room at rack rates far above what is generally paid.

Moana and Po’okela Suites cannot be reserved online. For more information or to make a reservation, please call (1)(808) 921-4640.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by aussielori
i have been searching prices and when i put 2 a 2 c get price once i put 3 c no availbability
has anyone been able to get 3 rd child into booking?
Your suite is not going to be denied, nor will you be forced to take a second room at rack rates - just be aware there may be insufficient bedding for 3 kids and 2 adults in the room. No one from the hotel is going to do a census and take action against you for the 3rd child. Quite often, families will bring a sleeping bag and the kids go in rotation to take one night in the sleeping bag

If you want the larger suite, or a suite with 2 doubles and a sofa bed, it's best to call the hotel - just ask about bedding, ie two doubles and a sofa bed, no need to discuss how many people are staying.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
FYI, Sheraton Waikiki is better equipped to handle large groups. The Ohana suite has a king and 2 double beds. They have plenty of Kai suites with 2 double beds, and most of them come with a very comfortable Murphy bed. Plus the suites can all accommodate a single bed which is provided at no cost. Also SW has a great kids' pool with a water slide.

When I was there in Feb, they gave me a suite with 2 doubles (as I requested) plus the Murphy bed, plus there was a single bed in the room when I checked in, all for my girlfriend and I! I asked them to take away the single bed.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by margarita girl
FYI, Sheraton Waikiki is better equipped to handle large groups. The Ohana suite has a king and 2 double beds. They have plenty of Kai suites with 2 double beds, and most of them come with a very comfortable Murphy bed. Plus the suites can all accommodate a single bed which is provided at no cost. Also SW has a great kids' pool with a water slide.

When I was there in Feb, they gave me a suite with 2 doubles (as I requested) plus the Murphy bed, plus there was a single bed in the room when I checked in, all for my girlfriend and I! I asked them to take away the single bed.
So is the consensus Sheraton over Mona ?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by edgewood49
For bedding and suite options, I would say so - but there are reports of rapidly collapsing service levels, although this may be more of an issue to SPG Platinum and long-time frequent guests to the Sheraton.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
IMO, yes. But then again, I've never seen anything but a Banyan Suite at the MS! Perhaps if aussielori is willing to pay for a suite, he'll see something bigger.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 5:45 am
Suspended

Unless your wife or kids would appreciate being on the beach. Last year, I skipped the Moana and stayed for free at a friend's family condo about 7 minutes off the beach. It just wasn't the same experience. Earlier this year, I stayed almost two weeks in the tower wing of the Moana. I was skeptical because the only reason I've stayed at the Moana previously was to stay in the old, heritage wing. After all, if you're going to stay in an old hotel shouldn't you actually stay in the old part?

Personally, I think the new and old parts should be separate hotels (like they were originally; the tower was the Surfrider). The hotel is just too damn busy. I was there for 12 days and not a single staffer in the club lounge, the pool bar, or the restaurant attempted to learn my name. But that's another discussion.

To this day, I miss waking up every morning and drinking Kona coffee on my lanai (balcony) overlooking the ocean and the beach with an amazing view of Diamond Head.

In the past, I've always worked with the general manager to coordinate my stay but he recently left. You may want to email the front office and see if you can pre-confirm a room:

Executive Assistant to General Manager
MOANA SURFRIDER, A WESTIN RESORT & SPA

Last edited by yosithezet; Apr 9, 2018 at 11:56 am Reason: Contact details of non-executive travel industry staff removed per FT Rules.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:35 am

Returned in February after 3 years. Still love the Diamond Tower's Juliet balconies because you are so close to the ocean, and it is charming to watch the weddings at the gazebo wedding court below. The room itself is still nothing special, but the remodeled bathroom was worse than before as far as utility. Tiny and not much surface to put anything. The toilet has a Japanese style spray bidet. It is only the balcony"s wonderful view that makes it special. Across the hall, I peeked at the Diamond city view rooms which looked depressing. No way. We started with paid nights and finished with points, and we were able to keep our ocean front for $100 per night on the points nights.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
I've stayed here many, many times over the last 22 years (we lived on Oahu back then, and used to stay the weekend sometimes). I have a 5 night stay booked next spring on points, husband is lifetime platinum. Last summer he stayed a couple nights here, so was familiar with the lounge. I know they offer wine in the evenings, but is it available ONLY in the evenings? I like a glass at lunch on vacation. I'm guessing it's not like the Ritz, where you can request a glass outside of cocktail hour.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by happymommy
I'm guessing it's not like the Ritz, where you can request a glass outside of cocktail hour.
RC lounge access is not complimentary based on status (and club rooms are usually significantly more expensive than regular rooms)so they can probably bend the rules by occasionally handing out free booze outside of the happy hour without a significant impact to their bottom line. Now imagine what would happen if every Plat staying at a Sheraton, Westin or Marriott started requesting complimentary booze at lunch, dinner, by the pool...
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by RafKa
RC lounge access is not complimentary based on status (and club rooms are usually significantly more expensive than regular rooms)so they can probably bend the rules by occasionally handing out free booze outside of the happy hour without a significant impact to their bottom line. Now imagine what would happen if every Plat staying at a Sheraton, Westin or Marriott started requesting complimentary booze at lunch, dinner, by the pool...

Oops - I meant that at the Ritz (we always pay for club level, I know it's not complimentary based on status) we can ask for a beer or glass of wine any time the lounge is open I know they offer wine at the cocktail hour, just didn't know what the hours are that you can get a glass of wine in the lounge. When we eat lunch on the patio outside, I order wine (which to me is better than what they serve in the lounge).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.