Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by clublounger
There is a lounge, so there is no other free breakfast choice. Entrance to the lounge is manned during breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres. A Plat is entitled to 2 persons entering, themselves and one other. There may be an exception made for children, but I have no experience with that.
So how would you rate the breakfast at the lounge ? I am a diabetic so breakfast is huge for me. Life time PLT so we should both get in Upgrades ?

Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
As a SPG platinum I was upgraded to a premier ocean view room in the tower wing. I chose points over a welcome amenity, but there was a welcome amenity in my room -- an assortment of some local Hawaii junk food, including Hawaiian Host chocolate macadamia nuts, and a bottle of Magnolia Grove 2015 chardonnay wine.

The room was huge. Probably twice the size of a banyon wing room. The view was amazing. But the decor of the room was tired. Everything was clean and well-maintained, but it looked like the fittings, particularly in the bathroom, were circa 2006-ish. I've stayed here before, but always in the historic banyon wing. While the rooms there aren't as spacious and don't have as great of views I actually think they are nicer than the tower wing. They're a little fresher, if you ask me. I thought the decor was a little plain. Other than the two pieces of wall art and wood, island-inspired sitting chair it could have a Westin in Omaha. What's weird was the entire room was oriented towards the TV opposite of the bed (the bed and bedding, as usual at Westin, were excellent) as opposed to the gorgeous view on the lanai. The aforesaid sitting chair and ottoman were placed next to the large air conditioning console, which was encased in a stainless steel matching the color of the wallpaper.I didn't sit there. I sat on the lanai.

The bathroom was probably the biggest disappointment. Especially the combination bathtub and shower. There's no Westin heavenly showerhead; instead it's a handheld shower that that you can mount at two different levels. Also, quite bizarrely, the closet is in the shower. There are no doors separating the closet from the bathroom. The Japanese Toto toilet was amazing. It was new-ish, at least the control console. Toiletries were limited to 1 bar of soap, 1 bottle of lotion, 1 bottle of shampoo and 1 bottle of conditioner. No mouthwash, no dental kit, no vanity kit. There were two bathrobes in the closet. No slippers. I requested slippers and a dental kit. The slippers came but the dental kit didn't come.

The lounge was great, especially for a domestic property. The breakfast buffet was a little more basic than the buffet in the restaurant, but it was fine. I ordered off the menu in the restaurant one day. Oddly, the lounge buffet had some things, like oatmeal, that the restaurant buffet didn't have. Neither buffet had fresh berries or fruit, at least not that I could find. In the night, the attendants kept your glass of beer or wine full. Unfortunately, it wasn't self-serve. There was at least one red and one white wine on offer. The outside seating at the lounge is a nice idea, but flawed because the wall is too high and blocks the views. Also, the metal chairs are kind of uncomfortable because the armrests are unpadded.

If you drink, the lounge at $60 a day for non-SPG platinum elites would be a good value. If you plan on drinking or eating elsewhere, it probably isn't worth buying access. My access was complimentary as a SPG platinum. There were about 10 other couples in the lounge at peak (5-6:30 PM).

All things considered, this remains a very nice hotel. Hopefully, rooms will be refreshed soon.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Feb 12, 2018 at 8:23 am
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
As a SPG platinum I was upgraded to a premier ocean view room in the tower wing. I chose points over a welcome amenity, but there was a welcome amenity in my room -- an assortment of some local Hawaii junk food, including Hawaiian Host chocolate macadamia nuts, and a bottle of Magnolia Grove 2015 chardonnay wine.

The room was huge. Probably twice the size of a banyon wing room. The view was amazing. But the decor of the room was tired. Everything was clean and well-maintained, but it looked like the fittings, particularly in the bathroom, were circa 2006-ish. I've stayed here before, but always in the historic banyon wing. While the rooms there aren't as spacious and don't have as great of views I actually think they are nicer than the tower wing. They're a little fresher, if you ask me. I thought the decor was a little plain. Other than the two pieces of wall art and wood, island-inspired sitting chair it could have a Westin in Omaha. What's weird was the entire room was oriented towards the TV opposite of the bed (the bed and bedding, as usual at Westin, were excellent) as opposed to the gorgeous view on the lanai. The aforesaid sitting chair and ottoman were placed next to the large air conditioning console, which was encased in a stainless steel matching the color of the wallpaper.I didn't sit there. I sat on the lanai.

The bathroom was probably the biggest disappointment. Especially the combination bathtub and shower. There's no Westin heavenly showerhead; instead it's a handheld shower that that you can mount at two different levels. Also, quite bizarrely, the closet is in the shower. There are no doors separating the closet from the bathroom. The Japanese Toto toilet was amazing. It was new-ish, at least the control console. Toiletries were limited to 1 bar of soap, 1 bottle of lotion, 1 bottle of shampoo and 1 bottle of conditioner. No mouthwash, no dental kit, no vanity kit. There were two bathrobes in the closet. No slippers. I requested slippers and a dental kit. The slippers came but the dental kit didn't come.

The lounge was great, especially for a domestic property. The breakfast buffet was a little more basic than the buffet in the restaurant, but it was fine. I ordered off the menu in the restaurant one day. Oddly, the lounge buffet had some things, like oatmeal, that the restaurant buffet didn't have. Neither buffet had fresh berries or fruit, at least not that I could find. In the night, the attendants kept your glass of beer or wine full. Unfortunately, it wasn't self-serve. There was at least one red and one white wine on offer. The outside seating at the lounge is a nice idea, but flawed because the wall is too high and blocks the views. Also, the metal chairs are kind of uncomfortable because the armrests are unpadded.

If you drink, the lounge at $60 a day for non-SPG platinum elites would be a good value. If you plan on drinking or eating elsewhere, it probably isn't worth buying access. My access was complimentary as a SPG platinum. There were about 10 other couples in the lounge at peak (5-6:30 PM).

All things considered, this remains a very nice hotel. Hopefully, rooms will be refreshed soon.
Thank you pretty much what I would have expected on the rooms. The property has been in somewhat of a decline for awhile now. But it is one the beach whereas the Marriott and Hyatt are not the latter having it's own issues. what did they do with your resort fees?

Travel safe
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Thank you pretty much what I would have expected on the rooms. The property has been in somewhat of a decline for awhile now. But it is one the beach whereas the Marriott and Hyatt are not the latter having it's own issues. what did they do with your resort fees?

Travel safe
I had to pay the resort fee. No platinum resort fee discount, but you do get a 15% discount card. I did hear someone say the resort fee is waived on government rates. If you milk the resort fee and lounge it is a good value. However, if you're eating and drinking outside of the lounge and don't use the resort fee's included amenities then it isn't a good deal. But some of the amenities are difficult to use. For example, you have to go to a neighboring SPG hotel to claim them. The internet is free everywhere on-property to anyone who walks off the beach. But supposedly you're paying for it. That irks me more.

I think the issue with the hotel is it's simply too big. It's basically three hotels put together -- the tower, the old historic center wing, and the wing closest to Diamond Head.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I also had to pay the resort fee last week. Which 15% discount card are you referring to and what is the discount applicable to?

Here is the list of what is included in the resort fee:
  • Two in-room bottles of water, replenished daily
  • Wireless High Speed Internet Access in guest rooms and public areas
  • MiFi mobile hotspot rental with unlimited wireless High Speed Internet Access on the island (one per room per stay); available at Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
  • Unlimited local, long-distance, 1-800, and international telephone calls
  • Children aged 12 and younger eat for free at Veranda’s breakfast buffet and from the children’s menu in designated outlets (Veranda breakfast and Beach Bar lunch and dinner) with one paying adult per child
  • One 4-inch x 6-inch photo per room per stay through Sharpshooter Imaging
  • One-day rental of a GoPro camera from the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani
  • 10- to 15-minute lesson on the fundamentals of surfing (demonstration on sand by Beach Services)
  • Ki Kilo Lani 55-minute yoga class daily
  • Aqua aerobics class for guests aged 13 and older
  • Moana historic tour
  • Ho’ala, a 30-minute Hawaiian ceremony of renewal for the body, mind, and spirit
  • 5 USD discount on admission to a guided Iolani Palace tour
  • Buy one, get one free admission to Sea Life Park; reservations required through concierge
  • 20 USD gift card valid toward apparel at Reyn Spooner at Sheraton Waikiki (upon request at the Front Desk; not applicable toward sale items or other discounts)
  • 20 USD one-time credit toward at least 100 USD in retail items at the Moana Lani Spa
  • Collections of Waikiki savings booklet
  • One Moana shopping tote bag
Irritates me to no end that I have to pay for a whole bunch of things I don't want to buy! Can you imagine them all sitting around a table brainstorming for useless things they can force their customers to buy?

BTW, they used to give 250 bonus points as an alternative to the resort fee for Platinum members which normally posts 2-3 days after check-out. It's been almost a week for me, and nothing has posted yet. Did you get the extra points?

Also, I don't quite know what to make of my upgrade. I applied an SNA to my reservation, and it didn't clear. Not surprising since there are only 3 Banyan Suites in the SNA pool. I could see plenty of suites available online (yes, I know they aren't the standard suites), so I asked politely if I might be able to get one since my SNA didn't clear. The agent disappeared for 10 minutes in the back, then finally came back and confirmed me in a Banyan Suite! I suspect that rather than give me the better suite, they decided to move whoever was in the suite they assigned to me to the better suite and put me in the lower category one. Out of the 3 SNA suites they have, it's the one I like the least (X24) as the rooms are tiny, there's only one bathroom and there isn't even a door between the living room and the bedroom. (I was only there for 1 night as I knew they wouldn't waive the resort fee like the Sheraton Waikiki would.)

Last edited by margarita girl; Feb 12, 2018 at 4:37 pm
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I also had to pay the resort fee last week. Which 15% discount card are you referring to and what is the discount applicable to?
SPG platinums get a card for 15% off any food or drink purchase on-property.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. I've never been offered such a card. Mind you, I usually eat in the lounge for free. I checked to see if the hotel restaurants participate in SPG Cravings and they don't.

On another note, I finally got the 250 points as the alternative amenity for the resort fee. Took a week to get it this time.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond

This?

Dining in Hawaii

Note - there is no discount on drinks
  • Discount is applicable on food only. Discount is not applicable to breakfast (see below exception) or beverages. Breakfast may be defined differently by venue. Please contact the venue directly for any questions on how breakfast is defined.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Guest Dining Discount Card
This card entitles bearer to 15% discount off all food and beverage ordered (includes alcoholic beverage). See reverse side for list of valid restaurants and lounges. Discount will be taken at point of sale only. Not valid for room service or combinable with other offers and does not include service charge and tax.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Interesting. I've never been offered such a card. Mind you, I usually eat in the lounge for free. I checked to see if the hotel restaurants participate in SPG Cravings and they don't.

On another note, I finally got the 250 points as the alternative amenity for the resort fee. Took a week to get it this time.
Do you have to ask for this or it is offered promptly by the front desk agent at check-in?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Do you have to ask for this or it is offered promptly by the front desk agent at check-in?
It’s never mentioned but it always shows up!
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:57 pm
Suspended

It’s never mentioned but it always shows up!
I received 750 points, labeled as "Resort Fee HSIA Alternative."
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I received 750 points, labeled as "Resort Fee HSIA Alternative."
You must have been there 3 nights!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:31 am
Suspended

Did you have to pay the resort fee or did they waive it? I paid it -- was never given a choice -- but still received the points.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you have to pay the resort fee or did they waive it? I paid it -- was never given a choice -- but still received the points.
The points are offered because you paid the resort fee since high speed internet is already complimentary for Plat members.

I paid the resort fee for the first time in Sept 2017. Had never paid it in previous 7 yrs but it was always a hassle/negotiation at the MS which is why I never stayed more than 1-2 nights at a time. SW was always very gracious about waiving the resort fee which is why they got the majority of my nights. But even that will be over now thanks to Marriott. Guess I’ll find out for sure in a month!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.