Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 20, 19, 7:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 16, 08, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
If I were on my honeymoon, I'd fork over the $50 extra a night to ensure an oceanview room. Even for a week, that's only $350. Hawaii isn't an el cheapo destionation so if I were to go to begin with I'd make sure I could afford $350, even if that means no beers with the guys for me for a month.

But that's just me. I'd do everything to ensure my significant other a memory of a lifetime for a special occasion. I wouldn't ask for a freebie and jeopardize such an important occasion.
Old Jul 16, 08, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by dewolfxy View Post
I'm SPG Gold and purchased a reservation on points for relatives who are staying there in the next month. It's a pretty important stay, for a big anniversary. I'd like to contact the hotel in advance and see if they can make a note in the reservation about this, hoping it helps with any upgrades. I have a Banyan city view reserved, would like any sort of upgrade possible. I don't expect a suite, just hoping for maybe an Ocean view room or something.

(1) Any suggestions on what I could request - should I just say what the occasion is, and ask nicely if any upgrades are possible? Do people favor Banyan vs. Diamond vs Tower?

(2) Should I do this via phone or email? If email, who do I email to? I've seen people comment before that they emailed the "GM" at the hotel, how would I do that?

Thanks!
Just be aware that there are some sold out dates in AUgust, and upgrades will be hard to come by. An indication of the sold out dates can be assessed from the calendar that the current Starpicks offers for that hotel. Any day in August that the Starpicks rate is not available can be assumed to be a "sold out" date.

ALoha
Old Jul 16, 08, 11:06 am
Community Director

I'm SPG Gold and purchased a reservation on points for relatives who are staying there in the next month. It's a pretty important stay, for a big anniversary. I'd like to contact the hotel in advance and see if they can make a note in the reservation about this, hoping it helps with any upgrades. I have a Banyan city view reserved, would like any sort of upgrade possible. I don't expect a suite, just hoping for maybe an Ocean view room or something.
Have you checked to see if you can secure an upgrade with points? Sometimes the additional points required is pretty minimal. It would certainly be worth a call to Customer Service.

Nice gift for the relatives!
Old Jul 16, 08, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHONOR Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Platinum
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Have you checked to see if you can secure an upgrade with points? Sometimes the additional points required is pretty minimal. It would certainly be worth a call to Customer Service.

Nice gift for the relatives!
I concur with SanDiego1K, in that you should call the SPG reservation line (not sure if as a Gold, you can call the SPG Concierge or not) and see if you can upgrade with points? You can also ask them to note the reservation that this is an important event, etc, and also ask them for the email address of the GM for the Moana.

Good luck and enjoy! The Moana is a pretty special hotel if you get the right room.
Old Jul 16, 08, 1:00 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld View Post
If I were on my honeymoon, I'd fork over the $50 extra a night to ensure an oceanview room. Even for a week, that's only $350. Hawaii isn't an el cheapo destionation so if I were to go to begin with I'd make sure I could afford $350, even if that means no beers with the guys for me for a month.

But that's just me. I'd do everything to ensure my significant other a memory of a lifetime for a special occasion. I wouldn't ask for a freebie and jeopardize such an important occasion.
I've managed to get 1st class tickets and lots of other upgrades for them. And whether they get an upgraded room or not, the Moana Surfrider is an expensive hotel by any means. So I don't really appreciate the implication that I'm asking "for a freebie and jeopardizing an important occasion". Since I paid for the stay with points, there wasn't any upgrade available for $50 for for any price (and I asked).

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, I'll call the SPG line and get a note added to the reservation, and ask what I can do about upgrades with points or cash. I'll post back with what they say.
Old Jul 16, 08, 1:40 pm

I spoke to the SPG line and they put a note in the file. No upgrades available with points though. I also checked and there are Starpicks available during the dates so I believe the hotel is available. I got the email from the SPG rep (it was the email for the reservations staff at the hotel, and not the GM) and sent them an email (just asking them to note it's an important trip, and saying I would appreciate whatever they could do to upgrade them if it is available). Should I push more to speak directly or email directly to the GM, or do you think this is sufficient?

Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it!
Old Jul 16, 08, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHONOR Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Platinum
I spoke to the SPG line and they put a note in the file. No upgrades available with points though. I also checked and there are Starpicks available during the dates so I believe the hotel is available. I got the email from the SPG rep (it was the email for the reservations staff at the hotel, and not the GM) and sent them an email (just asking them to note it's an important trip, and saying I would appreciate whatever they could do to upgrade them if it is available). Should I push more to speak directly or email directly to the GM, or do you think this is sufficient?

Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it!
I think that you did all that you can, and needed, to do.
IMO, pressing much harder may make you come across to the hotel as a pushy person
If they have an upgrade available, they will upgrade your inlaws -if you read this thread, I and many others have said that while there are no guarantees, be prepared to be pleasantly surprised, and it seems like the majority of people reported back on this thread that they were indeed pleasantly surprised.
Old Jul 16, 08, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've managed to get 1st class tickets and lots of other upgrades for them. And whether they get an upgraded room or not, the Moana Surfrider is an expensive hotel by any means. So I don't really appreciate the implication that I'm asking "for a freebie and jeopardizing an important occasion". Since I paid for the stay with points, there wasn't any upgrade available for $50 for for any price (and I asked).
You wanted a free upgrade, and it was your honeymoon. Was that not true? What was I implying? I'm just saying if it was my honeymoon, I'd fork over the additional money to ensure everything goes smoothly.

On November 3, 08, for exmaple, a standard room is $265 a night
"City View, Historic Wing, Newly Renovated, Heavenly Bed, Non-smoking
"
For an ocean view room, it costs $305
"Ocean View, Historic Wing, Newly Renovated, Heavenly Bed, Non-smoking
"

For a difference of $40 a night, you get an ocean view room. Isn't that what you wanted?

And for points, an upgraded ocean view will cost you only an additional 1000-2000 points per night.
Old Jul 16, 08, 3:16 pm
Community Director

You wanted a free upgrade, and it was your honeymoon. Was that not true? <snip>

For a difference of $40 a night, you get an ocean view room. Isn't that what you wanted?

And for points, an upgraded ocean view will cost you only an additional 1000-2000 points per night.
Bliss, I'm not sure why you think this. dewolfxy, whom we are attempting to help, has used points to book a room for a relative. He has not paid for a room, so cannot simply pay for to get an ocean view. And there's no honeymoon involved. It is a milestone anniversary.

Further, on our council, he has attempted to upgrade using points. He's been told that's not possible.

Now, if you have suggestions as to what more he can do to help his relatives celebrate their special occasion, it would be great to hear them. But right now, it seems to me that he has been extremely generous, very proactive, and has done all the reasonable things to make this a special stay.

I'm SPG Gold and purchased a reservation on points for relatives who are staying there in the next month. It's a pretty important stay, for a big anniversary.
I spoke to the SPG line and they put a note in the file. No upgrades available with points though.
Old Jul 16, 08, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Bliss, I'm not sure why you think this. dewolfxy, whom we are attempting to help, has used points to book a room for a relative. He has not paid for a room, so cannot simply pay for to get an ocean view. And there's no honeymoon involved. It is a milestone anniversary.

Further, on our council, he has attempted to upgrade using points. He's been told that's not possible.

Now, if you have suggestions as to what more he can do to help his relatives celebrate their special occasion, it would be great to hear them. But right now, it seems to me that he has been extremely generous, very proactive, and has done all the reasonable things to make this a special stay.
I must have read it incorrectly. However, my view still stands on requesting upgrades for special occasions. If it's important enough and I really would like to do something special for someone then I'd just ensure that it happens and not leave it up the the hands of others. For example, I'd book them 2 nights on points for a standard room and book the last night in an ocean room by paying (as I researched, $300 a night). Maybe I'd tell the hotel to arrange a bottle of champagn with strawberries and charge it to my credit card. I wouldn't just ask them to upgrade them.

I also contacted Platinum Concierge on the OPs behalf and was told that an upgraded room is available for points for redemption for 13,500 points a night during the low season vs the 12,000 points for a standard room.
Old Jul 16, 08, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
I spoke to the SPG line and they put a note in the file. No upgrades available with points though...

...Should I push more to speak directly or email directly to the GM, or do you think this is sufficient?
You should try to contact the front desk manager directly.

I recently upgraded friends staying at the Westin Maui last week. The hotel's specific upgrade policy was 1,500 points per night for EACH level upgrade. Because my friends were staying at the lowest category on a SVO (timeshare) offer, it cost me a BUNDLE to get them upgraded to an ocean view room there (although they did cut me a slight break). A front desk personnel faxed me a form, I signed it and faxed it back...that simple.

I would venture that the Westin Moana Surfrider may have a similar upgrade policy using points as well. But do confirm the specific room upgrade before faxing back the form.

Good luck in getting the upgrades for your relatives!
Old Jul 16, 08, 8:48 pm

I also contacted Platinum Concierge on the OPs behalf and was told that an upgraded room is available for points for redemption for 13,500 points a night during the low season vs the 12,000 points for a standard room.
Bliss, the OP (dewolfxy) is a Gold and not a Platinum (we Plat are so jaded and spoiled at the fantastic service that we get from the Platinum Concierge).

So it's not clear if he can even call the Platinum Concierge, and it's even less certain that they would give him the upgraded room option which is fairly routine for Plat like you and me.
Old Jul 17, 08, 1:23 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by sapguy View Post
...So it's not clear if he can even call the Platinum Concierge, and it's even less certain that they would give him the upgraded room option which is fairly routine for Plat like you and me.
He can still call the Gold line and ask to redeem an Upgrade Room Award to a Specialty Room. Any SPG member with sufficient Starpoints can do that, subject to the availability of the rate plan.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 29, 08, 12:33 pm

I didn't end up doing anything further since my last post - I feared aggravating the hotel staff as one of the people above suggested. Well, I did call the Starwood regular line again and ask about any way to upgrade with points (my 3rd request on different days), and they said not on their end and referred me to the hotel (who had already just told me no). I understand your point, Bliss, about not leaving things to chance. But my point is this - this vacation itself is already costing a lot of money. Yes, I could have kept the points and just paid for an ocean view room. For 10 nights, that would be $3K+, not just the $40 difference which you cited above. I chose to spend money on activities and tours for them, dinner gift certificates, and other extras. Since I don't have unlimited resources, I was forced to make that choice - either pay for those extras, and take the chance they wouldn't be upgraded, or pay $3K for the upgraded room, and not pay for the extras. The advice to "not leave it to chance and pay the extra money", seems like a false choice to me. Given limited resources, I made the choice that I thought guaranteed them the best vacation, and did the best I could to ask for an upgrade as an extra perk. All of that said, I do appreciate that you called the Plat concierge line for me, and your time in posting replies. As it turns out, my choice worked out well.

The rest of the story:
My relatives arrived a few days ago, and they were upgraded to a Banyan room with a nice view of the Banyan tree and an ocean view. It's a small upgrade - not a suite or anything like that - but that's really all I wanted. I just was hoping they wouldn't have the street noise, because I didn't know if that would bother them. They're thrilled with the room and the trip in general (1st time to Hawaii), and have been really busy with all the activities we planned (arranged and paid through the Starwood Tour & Activities office there). So, thank you again to everyone who posted above, it was really helpful and much appreciated!

Actually months ago when I booked the flights, I posted in the Continental and Northwest forums when I was trying to find the best 1st class flights to Hawaii. I ended up booking MSP-HNL on Northwest, which has the really nice business class seats that recline fully, the same as on some translatlantic business class. They were thrilled with that, so the whole trip benefitted quite a bit from FlyerTalk advice. Thanks to everyone!

Last edited by dewolfxy; Jul 29, 08 at 12:47 pm
Old Jul 29, 08, 12:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
. . . They were thrilled with that, so the whole trip benefitted quite a bit from FlyerTalk advice. Thanks to everyone!
Excellent! At the end of the day, that's what FT is all about. Glad it worked out so well for them. You are a gracious and generous relative. ^

Search this Thread