Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2008, 6:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thebutlerdidit
. . .Next time, I hope to get one of these spectacular suite upgrades I keep reading about on this Forum!
It's unfortunate you didn't get one of their suites. The location and set-up really is extraordinary.

For future reference, I think if you work the issue with the front desk, you may well be able to be moved into one on the second or third day. They have so many of them, they're no doubt turning some every day. If you work it nicely, and stay on top of it, I'm pretty confident you'd get one within a day or two. Of course, you have to be willing to move mid-stay, but, having stayed in one of those suites it would certainly be worth it to me.
Old May 29, 2008, 10:45 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
It's unfortunate you didn't get one of their suites. The location and set-up really is extraordinary.

For future reference, I think if you work the issue with the front desk, you may well be able to be moved into one on the second or third day. They have so many of them, they're no doubt turning some every day. If you work it nicely, and stay on top of it, I'm pretty confident you'd get one within a day or two. Of course, you have to be willing to move mid-stay, but, having stayed in one of those suites it would certainly be worth it to me.
I have seen the Tower suites at the Moana - they are indeed spectacular.
Old May 29, 2008, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I stayed in one in July 2007, remember its spectacular view from the lanai fondly, and can't wait to get back!
Old May 29, 2008, 7:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
(assuming if it's available) would those Tower suites be a common upgrade as a Platinum guest?
Old May 29, 2008, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by alanslegal
(assuming if it's available) would those Tower suites be a common upgrade as a Platinum guest?
Yes, if available for your entire stay. If not as previously stated you can always see if one opens up you can move to during your stay.
Old May 29, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Upgrades are not guaranteed in any way shape or form, even for Platinum guest, so you should not feel like you are "entitled" to an upgrade, no matter what the Starwood T&C says.

As a Platinum, a successful upgrade to a suite at this hotel or at any other Starwood hotel is dependent upon:
1) availabilty
2) your attitude at check-in
3) the person checking you in - is he/she knowledgeable, or a nice person
4) luck

So far, it appears that the majority of SPG Plat members (myself included) have been upgraded to a suite at Moana Surfrider, but that does not mean that you will be.
Old May 29, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by sapguy
So far, it appears that the majority of SPG Plat members (myself included) have been upgraded to a suite at Moana Surfrider, but that does not mean that you will be.
Correct. In my stays I have had a penthouse suite, a regular suite, and also a regular ocean view in the tower and a large ocean view in the banyon wing. Nothing is a guarantee but this hotel does seem to try to look after plat's as best it can.
Old May 30, 2008, 6:20 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Great, Thank Q for the responses.

From this I can safely assume MS treats elites quite favourably & now all I do is hope that a nice upgrade is granted. I think I'm definitely A nice enough kind A guy so hope lots of suites are available, hope the check-in agent is kind and hope I get lucky
Old May 30, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold
Great, Thank Q for the responses.

From this I can safely assume MS treats elites quite favourably & now all I do is hope that a nice upgrade is granted. I think I'm definitely A nice enough kind A guy so hope lots of suites are available, hope the check-in agent is kind and hope I get lucky
I have no reason to doubt it. Although I didn't get an upgrade I think the hotel just didn't have one to offer when I was there. I do believe they made sure that I got the best room available at the time.
Old May 31, 2008, 4:26 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Would anyone be able to confirm if the City View rooms have all been renovated? I've currently booked one and the reservation states it will be in the Diamond wing. I've e-mailed the hotel but had no reply so far.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Be careful with the city view rooms if you don't like noise! Not sure about the Diamond wing rooms, but I heard at least 3 different people at the front desk beg to be moved somewhere that wasn't so loud. The MS has a courtesy room you can use to shower and clean up after checkout - it is on the 3rd floor(?) of the Banyan wing facing the street, and I don't think I could have slept there because of the street noise.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 11:52 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
thanks for your help. I've seen a reasonable price on a renovated Banyan wing ocean/courtyard view - think it might be worth the extra.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
My friend is checking in tomorrow, I know they treat plats nicely but can a gold hope for anything?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:37 am

so are the tower rooms facing the outrigger is better or the rooms in the banyan/historic wings are nicer in terms of the view?
Old Jul 16, 2008, 7:19 am

Programs: SPG Gold
I'm SPG Gold and purchased a reservation on points for relatives who are staying there in the next month. It's a pretty important stay, for a big anniversary. I'd like to contact the hotel in advance and see if they can make a note in the reservation about this, hoping it helps with any upgrades. I have a Banyan city view reserved, would like any sort of upgrade possible. I don't expect a suite, just hoping for maybe an Ocean view room or something.

(1) Any suggestions on what I could request - should I just say what the occasion is, and ask nicely if any upgrades are possible? Do people favor Banyan vs. Diamond vs Tower?

(2) Should I do this via phone or email? If email, who do I email to? I've seen people comment before that they emailed the "GM" at the hotel, how would I do that?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.