Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've always slept with Starwood in Shanghai but there's a big newish full service Marriott close to People's Park and the art museum that gets good reviews.

However, Shanghai hotels are often pretty cheap so it might be better to save your points for another trip.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've always slept with Starwood
Wait, what?!
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Vs. reading the reports on Flyertalk in this forum? FTers probably have more input than TA, given a lot of TA folk aren't necessarily elite members of Marriott Rewards.

And yes your newly minted Marriott Gold will get you exec lounge access, unlike SPG Gold. Enjoy.

Cheers.
Thanks, SkiAdcock. Have not stayed at a Marriott before, so hopefully will be a good experience. Hubby has been diamond with hyatt and hilton - but next year he will not go down one tier (no more lounges with hyatt or hilton) so I am keen to check out the Marriott lounges.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by moondog
You mean "People's Square Stn", and this is true, but it's worth noting that the station itself comprises a dozen+ city blocks...with lots of people. As such, I would take a taxi in one direction (i.e. when the Maglev isn't running fast).
Hi moondog, what do you mean by when the Maglev isn't running fast?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by A1pax
Hi moondog, what do you mean by when the Maglev isn't running fast?
~12 trains per day in each direction reach top speed; the others are no faster than hsr. If you google maglev schedule, the official link should be among the first results, and is generally up to date.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
You mean "People's Square Stn"
Indeed! I've now corrected my original post--thanks for catching my error.

And, regarding the question of which Marriott is superior, I have only stayed at the JW but found it superb in all regards.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 2:08 pm

~12 trains per day in each direction reach top speed; the others are no faster than hsr. If you google maglev schedule, the official link should be among the first results, and is generally up to date.
OK thanks, moondog, for the explanation.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Indeed! I've now corrected my original post--thanks for catching my error.

And, regarding the question of which Marriott is superior, I have only stayed at the JW but found it superb in all regards.
Thanks, DJ_Iceman. I may persuade hubby to stay 2 nights at one and one night at the other to see which one is better.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 2:31 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...hai-china.html
Old Nov 24, 2016, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Are the JW Rooms as dated (green, old carpet) as can be seen in the gallery of the hotel preview? If it already looks as bad on there... maybe better choose the Marriott!?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In response to post #603:

There's absolutely no reason to pay a tour to do this!

The Maglev station isn't really convenient for any hotels. The best you can do is to pick a hotel that's on one of the subway lines from there that won't require a further transfer. Often that's the same line that serves the airport, so you might ask yourself whether it's worth some additional time on the subway to save some money and keep yourself from doing the Maglev to subway transfer. It can be problematic to take a taxi from the Maglev station.

Obviously a lot depends on how much luggage you have and whether it's rush hour.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In response to post #603:

There's absolutely no reason to pay a tour to do this!

The Maglev station isn't really convenient for any hotels. The best you can do is to pick a hotel that's on one of the subway lines from there that won't require a further transfer. Often that's the same line that serves the airport, so you might ask yourself whether it's worth some additional time on the subway to save some money and keep yourself from doing the Maglev to subway transfer. It can be problematic to take a taxi from the Maglev station.

Obviously a lot depends on how much luggage you have and whether it's rush hour.
It seems the OP has already solved the hotel problem, and both choices are near People's Square. I must admit that sometimes I set out to take line 2 to the Maglev, but end up staying on line 2 (as depressing as it is) if I already have a seat (doesn't take much longer, and no need to deal with the Longyang Rd transfer). In any event, since the OP's husband is into trains, the Maglev is certainly worth trying (on one of the fast runs); no need to really combine it with the subway...though Longyang Rd is a known taxi scam zone (not an issue on the way out of town).
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:50 am
JBa

Programs: some
Stayed at the JW Marriott at Tomorrows Square and enjoyed it. Had access to the lounge which provided decent breakfast. Pedestrian area is within walking distance and you have several malls in the area.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:52 am

It seems the OP has already solved the hotel problem, and both choices are near People's Square. I must admit that sometimes I set out to take line 2 to the Maglev, but end up staying on line 2 (as depressing as it is) if I already have a seat (doesn't take much longer, and no need to deal with the Longyang Rd transfer). In any event, since the OP's husband is into trains, the Maglev is certainly worth trying (on one of the fast runs); no need to really combine it with the subway...though Longyang Rd is a known taxi scam zone (not an issue on the way out of town).
Thanks, moondog. I have done some more googling about the Maglev and line 2 is the best for getting to the Longyang Road station for the Maglev to PVG. Both Marriott hotels are near this line - Peoples Square station. We always try to travel light - hopefully only carryon bags (although we are returning to London after family visit in Australia). I have also learned that the Maglev's speed varies - normally 300km/hr, but can go up to 430km/hr during certain time periods.

Also, thanks to MSPeconomist. We don't want to do the tour, but just want to ride on the Maglev - at least once. You anticipated my question whether any hotel is convenient to the Maglev station - answer is no. It seems that if we stay at the JW Marriott Tomorrow Square or the Marriott city centre, we can use line 2 to/from the airport. They are probably the best in terms of getting to/from PVG.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:00 pm
JBa

Programs: some
The Maglev ride is nice, but if it goes in top speed, its over in 7 mins. Halfway through you will here a 2 second wush, that s the return train passing you. Enjoy the ride.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.