FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   (Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/706079-pre-2019-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-shanghai-china.html)

SP03 Dec 24, 18 6:49 am

Overall I think the JW is a notch above the Marriott City Center. If the price difference isn't big, I would pick the JW

dave456 Dec 24, 18 7:49 am

JW it likely is...

Thanks all for the tips. I'll probably go with the JW, although I might contemplate one night at the regular Marriott.

kapooncha Dec 26, 18 1:11 pm

Folks, going to spend I think 5 nights in Shanghai and I want to use the remainder of my points. I have enough for the Courtyard Shanghai Central, Courtyard Pudong, and Renaissance Pudong.

Seems like Pudong area would be a bit better location wise for a tourist than the Courtyard Shanghai Central. Conversely, the Courtyard Central has the best reviews on TripAdvisor.

Any opinions on which one I should go for? I'd say as of now, I'm probably leaning toward the Renaissance Pudong.

moondog Dec 26, 18 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha (Post 30575883)
Folks, going to spend I think 5 nights in Shanghai and I want to use the remainder of my points. I have enough for the Courtyard Shanghai Central, Courtyard Pudong, and Renaissance Pudong.

Seems like Pudong area would be a bit better location wise for a tourist than the Courtyard Shanghai Central. Conversely, the Courtyard Central has the best reviews on TripAdvisor.

Any opinions on which one I should go for? I'd say as of now, I'm probably leaning toward the Renaissance Pudong.

On what basis did you conclude that pudong is better for tourists? Sure the aquarium and binjiang park are nice, but what else?

I would definitely go with the courtyard central in your case. While the area itself used to be the pits, it is much nicer now. More importantly, the hanzhong road subway station is extremely useful.

kapooncha Dec 26, 18 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30576015)
On what basis did you conclude that pudong is better for tourists? Sure the aquarium and binjiang park are nice, but what else?

I would definitely go with the courtyard central in your case. While the area itself used to be the pits, it is much nicer now. More importantly, the hanzhong road subway station is extremely useful.

Well isn't Pudong closer to the Bund area? That's kind of what I was thinking. I was also thinking that the Renaissance Pudong seemed a step above the Courtyard. Seemed like a nicer property. Cash prices are much higher at the Renaissance for my days while the points required are the same as the courtyard so it'd be a better redemption on a value basis.

I appreciate the info on the subway station though. That's definitely important.

rbAA Dec 26, 18 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha (Post 30575883)

First, I think that 5 days in Shanghai is 2 days too long. The fast trains to Hangzhou or Suzhou and a couple nights at one of those would be preferable. Second, Pudong may be closer to the Bund, but you'll have to swim for it or just look across the river at it as there really aren't Bund stops on the Metro, well close. The Courtyard is pretty nice and the area, as moondog points out, is much improved. Transportation using the Metro is good there. And, you can even walk to the Jian An area, though many of the hotels near the Courtyard call themselves Jian An, I never thought of them as such.

kapooncha Dec 26, 18 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA (Post 30576628)
First, I think that 5 days in Shanghai is 2 days too long. The fast trains to Hangzhou or Suzhou and a couple nights at one of those would be preferable. Second, Pudong may be closer to the Bund, but you'll have to swim for it or just look across the river at it as there really aren't Bund stops on the Metro, well close. The Courtyard is pretty nice and the area, as moondog points out, is much improved. Transportation using the Metro is good there. And, you can even walk to the Jian An area, though many of the hotels near the Courtyard call themselves Jian An, I never thought of them as such.

Well, it will be 5 nights but more like 4 full days. 2 of those days will be day trips. One to Suzhou and the other to Zhujiajiao. So that leaves basically 2 days in Shanghai city. After Shanghai, I'm going to (as you said) Hangzhou for 2 nights.

You think that's bad?

moondog Dec 26, 18 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by rbAA (Post 30576628)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chin...-shanghai.html

Btw, the reason that Hanzhong Rd station is sweet is because all 3 lines there head south in slightly different directions, so it's only 5 minutes away from true Jing'an, and 10 minutes away from Xintiandi, IAPM, and Hengshan Rd.

SP03 Dec 26, 18 8:07 pm

The rooms at the courtyard Pudong are really small. It's also older, so I would avoid.

The Renaissance Pudong is nicer, but the location really isn't that convenient either. The subway is ~ 15 min walk. I was pretty disappointed with the food there.

Of the three options, I would def pick Courtyard Central.

I personally think there's a lot you can do in Shanghai. The Bund/Yu Garden/Nanjing Road is one day. Maybe the Pudong side if you want to cram it in. Then there's the French Concession area and Tianzhifang. There are a lot of art galleries in Shanghai now if you are into it. The Shanghai Museum has an excellent collection. Spend some time in the old Jewish Quarter if you are interested. Take an evening river cruise. Listen to the Jazz band at the Fairmont Peace Hotel.

kapooncha Dec 26, 18 8:15 pm

Getting a bit off topic but I've got 9 nights before I get to Beijing. I've currently got 2 allocated for Disney, 5 for Shanghai, and 2 for Hangzhou.

But I'm thinking about making it 3 nights for Disney, 3 for Shanghai, and 3 for Hangzhou. Does anyone think that is a good idea?

moondog Dec 26, 18 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha (Post 30576945)
Getting a bit off topic but I've got 9 nights before I get to Beijing. I've currently got 2 allocated for Disney, 5 for Shanghai, and 2 for Hangzhou.

But I'm thinking about making it 3 nights for Disney, 3 for Shanghai, and 3 for Hangzhou. Does anyone think that is a good idea?

You mentioned Suzhou in your last post. While I Suzhou isn't on the way to Hangzhou (i.e. I think all trains from Suzhou to Hangzhou pass through the Shanghai municipality), I think it still makes sense to hit Suzhou (1 day), then Hangzhou (2 days). By the way, if your trip happens to be during the spring, be forewarned that West Lake can be extremely crowded on weekends.

kapooncha Dec 26, 18 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30577027)
You mentioned Suzhou in your last post. While I Suzhou isn't on the way to Hangzhou (i.e. I think all trains from Suzhou to Hangzhou pass through the Shanghai municipality), I think it still makes sense to hit Suzhou (1 day), then Hangzhou (2 days). By the way, if your trip happens to be during the spring, be forewarned that West Lake can be extremely crowded on weekends.

I had been planning to a day trip to Suzhou. Is a day trip a bad idea? I'm traveling throughout Asia for quite a while so I try to avoid switching hotels too much (i.e. try to avoid 1 night hotel stays).

I'll be in Hangzhou during weekdays, so no weekend crowds to deal with fortunately.

SP03 Dec 26, 18 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha (Post 30577084)
I had been planning to a day trip to Suzhou. Is a day trip a bad idea? I'm traveling throughout Asia for quite a while so I try to avoid switching hotels too much (i.e. try to avoid 1 night hotel stays).

I'll be in Hangzhou during weekdays, so no weekend crowds to deal with fortunately.

Suzhou is an easy day trip. Use ctrip to check train schedule. Most trains leave from Hongqiao, but there are quite a few from Shanghai too. With a day trip, you can visit ~2 gardens and maybe the Suzhou museum if on a weekday.

moondog Dec 26, 18 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha (Post 30577084)

I wouldn't say it's a bad idea, especially since the Courtyard Central is only 10 minutes away (walking) from Shanghai Station, but I'm generally a proponent of continuous movement myself.

kapooncha Dec 26, 18 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30577172)
I wouldn't say it's a bad idea, especially since the Courtyard Central is only 10 minutes away (walking) from Shanghai Station, but I'm generally a proponent of continuous movement myself.

Don't get me wrong, I am too. Just in this case, and you said as much in a previous post, Suzhou passes through Shanghai on the way to Hangzhou. So I'm not sure if it really makes sense to go there for just 1 night. Just seems more convenient to stay the extra night in Shanghai and not have to deal with lugging bags around.