FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   (Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/706079-pre-2019-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-shanghai-china.html)

jayzala Oct 6, 18 10:40 pm

Anyone stay at the Shanghai EDITION yet? Debating between some nicer and newer hotel options in Shanghai. Looking to splurge with points.

Any recommendations?

Muerz Oct 7, 18 1:30 am

Thanks for your help SP03. Any other members that would like to chime in? I have narrowed down my list to the following properties:
- JW Marriott Changfeng Park: Looks like a bargain at Category 2 level but not much information here on FT
- Renaissance Yangze
- Shanghai Marriott Riverside
- Renaissance Zhongsan: Great reviews all around on this board however conflicting information regarding elite breakfast in restaurant. Might be my number one choice right now.
- Renaissance Putuo: Consensus is poor location
- Courtyard Xujiahui: Strong endorsement by SP03, looks like a great deal
- Shanghai Marriott Parkview
- Sheraton Hongkou: looks not that bad either
- Courtyard Central: great reviews
- Renaissance YuGarden: mixed reviews

I've never had so much trouble choosing a hotel. It's somehow really difficult to find reliable English information on Shanghai. Even Google and Bing Maps are unreliable concerning the location of the properties :(
Thanks in advance for your help!

SP03 Oct 7, 18 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Muerz (Post 30287455)
Thanks for your help SP03. Any other members that would like to chime in? I have narrowed down my list to the following properties:
- JW Marriott Changfeng Park: Looks like a bargain at Category 2 level but not much information here on FT
- Renaissance Yangze
- Shanghai Marriott Riverside
- Renaissance Zhongsan: Great reviews all around on this board however conflicting information regarding elite breakfast in restaurant. Might be my number one choice right now.
- Renaissance Putuo: Consensus is poor location
- Shanghai Marriott Parkview
- Sheraton Hongkou: looks not that bad either
- Courtyard Central: great reviews
- Renaissance YuGarden: mixed reviews

I've never had so much trouble choosing a hotel. It's somehow really difficult to find reliable English information on Shanghai. Even Google and Bing Maps are unreliable concerning the location of the properties :(
Thanks in advance for your help!

You can have breakfast either in the lounge or in the restaurant at Renaissance Zhongshan Park. The views are breathtaking!

Of the properties listed, I think Zhonshan Park has the best location. It's literally on top of a ginormous mall with lot of food options. It's also on metro 2 which takes you to both airports, and all the main sights.

bergamini Nov 2, 18 11:51 am

I have a 2 night stay coming up in Shanghai which is essentially a quick tourist trip + MR. I'd like to take the train vs taxi to keep costs in line with a MR. With that said, what Marriott properties (incl. fka SPG) are closest to a train from the airport? I know I'll have to connect once but mostly looking for the easiest train ride and ideally a property with a lounge.

moondog Nov 2, 18 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by bergamini (Post 30385791)
I have a 2 night stay coming up in Shanghai which is essentially a quick tourist trip + MR. I'd like to take the train vs taxi to keep costs in line with a MR. With that said, what Marriott properties (incl. fka SPG) are closest to a train from the airport? I know I'll have to connect once but mostly looking for the easiest train ride and ideally a property with a lounge.

City Center and JW Tomorrow Square are both close to Peoples Square Stn on Line 2, which is the line the serves PVG. Zhongshan Park is also on Line 2, and I almost prefer it to Peoples Square (it's a little far out, but lacks the rat race feel). The Yu Garden Ren is right next to the Yu Garden subway stop, but unfortunately this does require a transfer from Line 2 to Line 10. The Portman is about a 10 minute walk from JA Temple; I mention this because you can take the bus instead of the subway, which is a much more pleasant experience. Finally, the RC Pudong is in Lujiazui (Line 2); I wouldn't stay there because it's overpriced and is on the wrong side of the river; Flair is definitely worth a visit though.

bergamini Nov 2, 18 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 30385838)
City Center and JW Tomorrow Square are both close to Peoples Square Stn on Line 2, which is the line the serves PVG. Zhongshan Park is also on Line 2, and I almost prefer it to Peoples Square (it's a little far out, but lacks the rat race feel). The Yu Garden Ren is right next to the Yu Garden subway stop, but unfortunately this does require a transfer from Line 2 to Line 10. The Portman is about a 10 minute walk from JA Temple; I mention this because you can take the bus instead of the subway, which is a much more pleasant experience. Finally, the RC Pudong is in Lujiazui (Line 2); I wouldn't stay there because it's overpriced and is on the wrong side of the river; Flair is definitely worth a visit though.

Thanks. I booked the Portman since the rate was low even for one where I could use my Club certificates.

barracuda93 Nov 2, 18 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Muerz (Post 30287455)

I'd pick Courtyard Changfeng park over both. New property, awesome Club lounge, better rooms and better food than in JW (though JW has better views over the lake). Courtyard Xujiahui is considerably worse in every regard aside from, arguably, location (but its location also isn't great). It's on my to-avoid-at-all-costs list due to pathetic service too.

JW Tomorrow Square is great for lounge and “library”, Marriott City Center has better room design and great views. Both however are extremely overpriced.

SP03 Nov 4, 18 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by barracuda93 (Post 30386909)
I'd pick Courtyard Changfeng park over both. New property, awesome Club lounge, better rooms and better food than in JW (though JW has better views over the lake). Courtyard Xujiahui is considerably worse in every regard aside from, arguably, location (but its location also isn't great). It's on my to-avoid-at-all-costs list due to pathetic service too.

JW Tomorrow Square is great for lounge and “library”, Marriott City Center has better room design and great views. Both however are extremely overpriced.

I don't think Changfeng Park is a convenient location for visiting Shanghai unless you are doing business in that area.

moondog Nov 4, 18 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 30393395)
I don't think Changfeng Park is a convenient location for visiting Shanghai unless you are doing business in that area.

Agreed.

barracuda93 Nov 4, 18 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 30393395)

It's definitely not, but savings of points are substantial.

Muerz Nov 6, 18 7:48 am

I just returned from a five nights stay at the Renaissance Zhongshan Park and I was very happy at this hotel. Booked it on points and also applied SNAs for an executive suite which was guaranteed 7 nights out. Lounge was well stocked for breakfast and dinner and as a Platinum Premier, I also had the choice to have breakfast at their buffet restaurant which was more than decent. Great selections of Western and Asian food. The lounge was open from 6am to midnight every day but they removed the alcohol at 9.30pm and not a minute later. I was surprised to find both USA Today and NY Times in the lounge as I was under the impression that at least the Times was banned in China. The hotel also does change money and I suggest you use them as their rates were better than the banks in Shanghai! Nice facilities as far as pool/sauna is concerned but the constant spitting of the Chinese people that use those facilities is disgusting. The room itself was ok but could need a redo in about two years. All in all, I was a rather happy camper here.

SP03 Nov 6, 18 10:33 am

The view of Shanghai from Renaissance Zhongshan Park is pretty incredible. I was the tallest building on west side of Shanghia.

Breakfast in the restaurant was decent. I like that they have one local specialty every day that rotates daily. It's connected a gianormous mall that has tons of restaurnats. You can walk around and see which one has a long line.

oranjemakker Nov 7, 18 3:40 am

Trying to work out which hotel from Marriott (incl. legacy SPG) is most convenient to Xintiandi

I usually stay in the Westin but it's a bit of a hassle to get there

Any suggestions?

Thanks

moondog Nov 7, 18 7:01 am

Originally Posted by oranjemakker (Post 30403326)
Trying to work out which hotel from Marriott (incl. legacy SPG) is most convenient to Xintiandi

I usually stay in the Westin but it's a bit of a hassle to get there

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Yuyuan Ren, for sure. There is a Line 10 station right next to the hotel, and you're only two stops away from XTD.

ETA:
-The Westin is also sort of on Line 10, but unlike the Ren, it's a 5+ minute walk to Yuyuan or NJ E Rd.
-You could also consider the People's Square options, and Line 1 to Huangpi Rd. I personally dislike Peoples Square though

FlyerGoldII Nov 11, 18 8:00 pm

Hotels near Shanghai Train Station - high speed train to Beijing

Which Marriott Family of Hotels fit these criteria?

Which of those have true concierge service?

Any of these have breakfast included?